magbot problems...

  • Nigel
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2009
      Hi All,

      I recently breadboarded a magbot that worked fine based on the magbot circuit from solarbotics.com
      http://www.tombot.net/beam/pics/circuits/magbot.jpg

      now however, after freeforming it, it doesn't seem to work.
      I've been over the circuit a few times and cannot see an issue.
      I've removed and replaced various components yet still no luck.

      The differences between the breadboarded version and the freeformed version is that I'm using only 3000uF for the storage cap instead of 4800uF on the BB (shouldn't matter one little bit), and I'm using an orange/yellow LED instead of green (again, it shouldn't matter because the LED is only there to utilise some of the back EMF).

      Measuring across the solarpanel/storage cap I'm only seeing 0.8V in full sun. If I remove the 1n4148 diode the voltage will raise to 3.7v.

      It's damn frustrating, as I spent about 4 hours getting the freeform perfect.

      Any ideas?

      Regards,
      FBB
    • Nigel
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2009
        Nevermind.. :)

        I think I've found the issue. The 1000uF cap was shorted out, reading 0 Ohms across the terminals. I've replaced it with a 1200uF (I hope it makes no difference) but can't test it properly till I have natural light tomorrow.

        I hope it works.. every part of it has been recycled from junk, not 1 new component. Even the solar panel has been repaired..

        In case you are interested, pic's are available in Files/FBB Bots/Magbot

        Regards,
        FBB
      • David Buckley
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2009
          That sounds as if the diode is the wrong way round and shorting out the solarpanel.
          David

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2009
            Although it sounds like you've corrected the problem I had a look at the photos you uploaded and I've gotta say that's a nice looking bot you've put together, even though I do feel a bit sorry for that square IC with the bolt through it :3
          • Nigel
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2009
              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "telefox" <telefox@...> wrote:

              > Although it sounds like you've corrected the problem I had a look at the photos you uploaded and I've gotta say that's a nice looking bot you've put together, even though I do feel a bit sorry for that square IC with the bolt through it :3

              Hahaha, yeah :) I needed a solid place to mount the bearing and that IC was situated conviently right in the center of gravity. Drilled it out with a diamond head on the dremel. In the background is a couple of my photopoppers and a BBPH. My favourite is a suicidal popper :), I put the photodiodes on the wrong sides and he turns and runs away from the light. Not the intended behavior, however it is HIS behavior :)

              Regards,
              FBB
            • Nigel
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2009
                Finally got the circuit working correctly. I'm extremely happy with the results. It flies, but for some reason, optimum operation is in part shade, it doesn't work as well in full sun.

                Here's the Vid
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRLUIJmZ70

                Didn't realise that the video was on it's side till I uploaded it to youtube. :)

                regards
                FBB
              • Arno
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2009
                  That's a great magbot!Do you have pictures which show this bot in more
                  detail?

                  regards,Arno

                  Nigel wrote:

                  > Finally got the circuit working correctly. I'm extremely happy with
                  > the results. It flies, but for some reason, optimum operation is in
                  > part shade, it doesn't work as well in full sun.
                  >
                  > Here's the Vid
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRLUIJmZ70
                  > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRLUIJmZ70>
                  >
                  > Didn't realise that the video was on it's side till I uploaded it to
                  > youtube. :)
                  >
                  > regards
                  > FBB

                • Nigel
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2009
                    I'll take some photo's and post them up tomorrow..