[beam] Re: 74HC240 Walker?

  • disaza
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
      Check the costa rica beam's walker circuits.

      There's a "240 MicroCore Walker" wich uses only ONE 74HC240 (interesting) also take a look at the "PhotoWalker" circuit.

      http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers_Main.htm

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
        I had looked there and I'm not sure how I missed that one.

        What I did find while search around last night was the uCrawler, listed on costarican, but with the 74HC240. It's a little different and seems like it would move like a zombie without any legs.

        http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/bot_walker_uCrawler.html

        I am going to attempt the uCrawler tonight. I'll post results.

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, disaza <deisaza@...> wrote:

        > Check the costa rica beam's walker circuits.
        >
        > There's a "240 MicroCore Walker" wich uses only ONE 74HC240 (interesting) also take a look at the "PhotoWalker" circuit.
        >
        > http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers_Main.htm

      • m3lt79
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
          I breadboarded the Micro Crawler tonight but I am short 1x .33uf and 1x 5.1mohm resistor.
          The 5.1mohm resistors are kind of a pain...I had to use 5x 1mohm and 1x 100k resistor (I'm pretty sure that is the right calculation) in series to make it since radioshack doesn't carry them. I figure I will just have to extend the PCB 4-5 rows to series them in then jump them back up by the motor where needed.
          The .33uf cap was not carried by radioshack either so I had to order it, hopefully be here in a few days.

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "m3lt79" <amcnulty79@...> wrote:

          > I have 10 74HC240 chips. I have made a few bicore heads, but have
          > never made a walker. Since I just got 2 servo motors from
          > solarbotics...Is there any way to make those chips work for a walker
          > circuit?

        • telefox
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009
            Your series resistors correctly add up to 5.1MOhm, but as in most BEAM circuits you don't need to be terribly precise. If you can find a resistor that's a bit higher or lower it should be good enough, maybe 2x2MOhm or 2x3MOhm. Either that or you could put 2x10MOhm resistors in parallel which would net you 5MOhm total.
            If nothing else you can drop the 100kOhm resistor from the chain; it won't have much of an effect.
          • Jimmy Juedeman
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009

               Check out the "Almost Complete Walker" layout on beam-online.com (or is it beamonline.com?)...It's a master-slave bicore pair complete with reverse circuitry, all on one 74XX240. Just add motor drivers.

              Windows Liveā„¢ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.