Re: Second Life Robotics Society

  • Joshua Madara
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello, Craig. I have been thinking about BEAM in SL for a while now,
      though I have not had opportunity to experiment with it. Clearly, some
      representation would be required, but I suspect interesting behaviors
      might emerge from SL robots modeled on BEAM principles.

      One advantage over other sim environments is the variety of
      entities/events to interact with, that are not specified or otherwise
      anticipated by the robot's developer.

      I'd be interested to hear from anyone doing this sort of work.

      Best,
      Joshua aka Machina Vita (SL name)

      On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM, <beam@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > Second Life Robotics Society
      >
      > Posted by: "Craig" craig@... dr_bitbucket
      >
      > Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm (PST)

    • wilf_nv
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 1, 2009
        Hi Craig,

        Great idea, in principle so I just signed up for my SL and took a
        walk around. A bit creepy for my taste and not without some virtual
        risks that experienced SLrs should point out especially to caution
        the younger crowd. You described environments like a lecture hall or
        a robotics work shop. Are these "moderated" spaces, free of stalkers
        and other unsavory characters?

        regards

        wilf

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <craig@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks!
        >

        > Happy New Year to ALL
        >

        > One thing I feel that we all have in common ( on this list ) is a
        creative
        > nature and a strong urge to build. I've always enjoyed learning
        each of
        > your special skills during our Saturday Morning meetings and over
        this list,
        > but I would like to experiment with a new way of interacting, which
        I can
        > hopefully spread to all our sister robotics societies all across
        the world.

        > For over a year now I have been teaching, exploring, and building
        on the
        > Web2.0 application called Second Life. It's similar to a MMOG (
        Massive
        > Multiplayer Online Game ) except that it more of a social,
        educational,
        > experiential environment. There are no rules or points scored, and
        no
        > objectives to reach, except those that users on this environment
        create them
        > selves.
        >

        > In Second Live, Linden labs have created a number of servers (
        20,000 at
        > last count ) to create islands called SIMS where users can
        explore. The
        > Residents of SL ( Second Life ), or Av's ( Avatars ) are each given
        the
        > power to create objects, give them real world physical properties,
        and
        > script those objects to do whatever they choose. You can stream
        multimedia,
        > audio, voice, video, and pass video and objects back and forth
        amongst
        > themselves.
        >

        > Over the past 5 years, the residents have created an entire world
        on line to
        > explore and interact in, including schools, churchs, night clubs,
        resorts,
        > space stations, hospitals and anything else you can imagine! Some
        of these
        > are a bit cheesy, and some are amazing, but all are generated by
        amateurs
        > like us.
        >

        > I am a member of several in-world groups ( mostly educational ) and
        have
        > taught classes online. I have introduced SAIT Polytech to this
        environment
        > and we are building virtual classrooms and robotics labs.
        >

        > The reason I am bothering you with this is I would like to have
        virtual
        > robotics meetings and challenges in this environment which can be
        enjoyed by
        > robotics groups all around the world! It's an amazing experience
        to chat
        > in-world with avatars and gives you a real sense of proximity to
        the people
        > you chat with. I find my creative side stimulated by the 3d
        modeling and
        > scripting involved in this environment, and am wild about the
        socializing
        > that occurs there.
        >

        > I'd like you to sign up for a Second Life account and create an
        avatar (
        > It's absolutely free! ) and get used to the interface. We can
        build a SL
        > Robotics Society Group and try having in-world meetings and
        lectures there
        > with people from around the globe.
        >

        > If you create an avatar, please email me its name or "friend" my
        avatar (
        > Mine is Klaatu Maynard ) and we will begin the journey into this
        Metaverse.

        > You can download the Second Life Viewer from www.secondlife.com
        >

        > Any comments?
        >

        > Hope to see you in-world!
        >

        > Craig Maynard

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
          Well, of course, all the behaviors of your 'bots in SL would have to be
          scripted using the SL LSL language ( which would take away a lot of those
          wonderful "emergent behaviours" we enjoy so much )

          However, it would be a wonderful environment to showcase your mechanical
          designs and have group workshops and classes on BEAM principles ( heck.. any
          robotics principles! )

          Tropic and phobic behaviors would be easy to model since objects may be
          scripted to be attracted to ANY other object or attribute. Want to build a
          Chromo-vore?? ( A bot attracted to reds?? ) You should be able to, if you
          use your imagination!

          Hehe

          Craig