Second Life Robotics Society

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi Folks!

      Happy New Year to ALL

      One thing I feel that we all have in common ( on this list ) is a creative
      nature and a strong urge to build. I've always enjoyed learning each of
      your special skills during our Saturday Morning meetings and over this list,
      but I would like to experiment with a new way of interacting, which I can
      hopefully spread to all our sister robotics societies all across the world.

      For over a year now I have been teaching, exploring, and building on the
      Web2.0 application called Second Life. It's similar to a MMOG ( Massive
      Multiplayer Online Game ) except that it more of a social, educational,
      experiential environment. There are no rules or points scored, and no
      objectives to reach, except those that users on this environment create them
      selves.

      In Second Live, Linden labs have created a number of servers ( 20,000 at
      last count ) to create islands called SIMS where users can explore. The
      Residents of SL ( Second Life ), or Av's ( Avatars ) are each given the
      power to create objects, give them real world physical properties, and
      script those objects to do whatever they choose. You can stream multimedia,
      audio, voice, video, and pass video and objects back and forth amongst
      themselves.

      Over the past 5 years, the residents have created an entire world on line to
      explore and interact in, including schools, churchs, night clubs, resorts,
      space stations, hospitals and anything else you can imagine! Some of these
      are a bit cheesy, and some are amazing, but all are generated by amateurs
      like us.

      I am a member of several in-world groups ( mostly educational ) and have
      taught classes online. I have introduced SAIT Polytech to this environment
      and we are building virtual classrooms and robotics labs.

      The reason I am bothering you with this is I would like to have virtual
      robotics meetings and challenges in this environment which can be enjoyed by
      robotics groups all around the world! It's an amazing experience to chat
      in-world with avatars and gives you a real sense of proximity to the people
      you chat with. I find my creative side stimulated by the 3d modeling and
      scripting involved in this environment, and am wild about the socializing
      that occurs there.

      I'd like you to sign up for a Second Life account and create an avatar (
      It's absolutely free! ) and get used to the interface. We can build a SL
      Robotics Society Group and try having in-world meetings and lectures there
      with people from around the globe.

      If you create an avatar, please email me its name or "friend" my avatar (
      Mine is Klaatu Maynard ) and we will begin the journey into this Metaverse.

      You can download the Second Life Viewer from www.secondlife.com

      Any comments?

      Hope to see you in-world!

      Craig Maynard
    • Joshua Madara
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 1, 2009
        Hello, Craig. I have been thinking about BEAM in SL for a while now,
        though I have not had opportunity to experiment with it. Clearly, some
        representation would be required, but I suspect interesting behaviors
        might emerge from SL robots modeled on BEAM principles.

        One advantage over other sim environments is the variety of
        entities/events to interact with, that are not specified or otherwise
        anticipated by the robot's developer.

        I'd be interested to hear from anyone doing this sort of work.

        Best,
        Joshua aka Machina Vita (SL name)

        On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM, <beam@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Second Life Robotics Society
        >
        > Posted by: "Craig" craig@... dr_bitbucket
        >
        > Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm (PST)

      • wilf_nv
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 1, 2009
          Hi Craig,

          Great idea, in principle so I just signed up for my SL and took a
          walk around. A bit creepy for my taste and not without some virtual
          risks that experienced SLrs should point out especially to caution
          the younger crowd. You described environments like a lecture hall or
          a robotics work shop. Are these "moderated" spaces, free of stalkers
          and other unsavory characters?

          regards

          wilf

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <craig@...> wrote:

> [...]
          to chat
          > in-world with avatars and gives you a real sense of proximity to
          the people
          > you chat with. I find my creative side stimulated by the 3d
          modeling and
          > scripting involved in this environment, and am wild about the
          socializing
          > that occurs there.
          >

          > I'd like you to sign up for a Second Life account and create an
          avatar (
          > It's absolutely free! ) and get used to the interface. We can
          build a SL
          > Robotics Society Group and try having in-world meetings and
          lectures there
          > with people from around the globe.
          >

          > If you create an avatar, please email me its name or "friend" my
          avatar (
          > Mine is Klaatu Maynard ) and we will begin the journey into this

        • Craig
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
            Well, of course, all the behaviors of your 'bots in SL would have to be
            scripted using the SL LSL language ( which would take away a lot of those
            wonderful "emergent behaviours" we enjoy so much )

            However, it would be a wonderful environment to showcase your mechanical
            designs and have group workshops and classes on BEAM principles ( heck.. any
            robotics principles! )

            Tropic and phobic behaviors would be easy to model since objects may be
            scripted to be attracted to ANY other object or attribute. Want to build a
            Chromo-vore?? ( A bot attracted to reds?? ) You should be able to, if you
            use your imagination!

            Hehe

            Craig