Re: [beam] Re: dark turn on circuit

  • Charles Eubanks
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
      Jo,

      thanks again for the help..  works like a charm!  had to recheck a few things and despite my multimeter crapping out on me (cheap Radio shack one) got it working...

      On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

      I was slightly in error when I wrote this:

      > You will, I imagine, be dropping around 12V across all your LEDs.
      > This means you will be getting around 7V across R2, which I have
      > shown as 1k. This will mean about 7mA of current through your LEDs.
      > If this is not bright enough, lower the value of R2. The formula,
      > I = V/R, will give your current.

      I was thinking of you having 19V dc as your supply but, as I stated
      in my last post, it will be somewhat higher.

      My excuse is that I was temporarily insane.

      I still think you'll be dropping around 12V across your LEDs,
      but you will probably have more than 7V across R2, so more current,
      and brighter LEDs.

      It's possible I'm having a relapse, of course.

      Jo

    • Joseph Charles
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hooray! That's nice to know.

        (I must admit to thinking every now and then, "I hope Chuck doesn't
        write in saying I've blown up his kid's train set...". Now I can relax!)

        Glad to be of help.

        Jo

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Eubanks" <cweubanks@...> wrote:

        > Jo,
        > thanks again for the help.. works like a charm! had to recheck a few
        > things and despite my multimeter crapping out on me (cheap Radio
        shack one)
        > got it working...
        >

        > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@...>wrote:
        >
        > > I was slightly in error when I wrote this:
        > >

        > > > You will, I imagine, be dropping around 12V across all your LEDs.
        > > > This means you will be getting around 7V across R2, which I have
        > > > shown as 1k. This will mean about 7mA of current through your LEDs.
        > > > If this is not bright enough, lower the value of R2. The formula,
        > > > I = V/R, will give your current.
        > >
        > > I was thinking of you having 19V dc as your supply but, as I stated
        > > in my last post, it will be somewhat higher.
        > >
        > > My excuse is that I was temporarily insane.
        > >
        > > I still think you'll be dropping around 12V across your LEDs,
        > > but you will probably have more than 7V across R2, so more current,
        > > and brighter LEDs.
        > >
        > > It's possible I'm having a relapse, of course.
        > >
        > > Jo

      • jonjb2a
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
          I sort of wonder about some of the items I get from Radio Shack myself.
        • Charles Eubanks
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
            anybody recommend a nice pocket sized multimeter specifically for BEAM projects?  I bought this one twice...
            it worked fine for a while in both instances but now even the new one I just bought is giving crazy inconsistent readings all of the sudden so need to find a new one, preferably a small one.

            On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

            Hooray! That's nice to know.

            (I must admit to thinking every now and then, "I hope Chuck doesn't
            write in saying I've blown up his kid's train set...". Now I can relax!)

            Glad to be of help.

            Jo

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Eubanks" <cweubanks@...> wrote:

            > Jo,
            > thanks again for the help.. works like a charm! had to recheck a few
            > things and despite my multimeter crapping out on me (cheap Radio
            shack one)
            > got it working...
            >

            > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@...>wrote:

            > > I was slightly in error when I wrote this:
            > >

            > > > You will, I imagine, be dropping around 12V across all your LEDs.
            > > > This means you will be getting around 7V across R2, which I have
            > > > shown as 1k. This will mean about 7mA of current through your LEDs.
            > > > If this is not bright enough, lower the value of R2. The formula,
            > > > I = V/R, will give your current.
            > >
            > > I was thinking of you having 19V dc as your supply but, as I stated
            > > in my last post, it will be somewhat higher.
            > >
            > > My excuse is that I was temporarily insane.
            > >
            > > I still think you'll be dropping around 12V across your LEDs,
            > > but you will probably have more than 7V across R2, so more current,
            > > and brighter LEDs.
            > >
            > > It's possible I'm having a relapse, of course.
            > >
            > > Jo

          • Richard Caudle
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 3, 2008
              What are you using it to test and how?  I've never had any trouble with the Rat Snack meter that I own.

              NOTICE! THE CONTENTS OF THIS ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION ARE
              CONFIDENTIAL AND PROTECTED UNDER COPYRIGHT. USE BY ANYONE
              OTHER THAN THE LISTED RECIPIENT(s) IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED

              On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@yahoo. com.au> wrote:
              Hooray! That's nice to know.

              (I must admit to thinking every now and then, "I hope Chuck doesn't
              write in saying I've blown up his kid's train set...". Now I can relax!)

              Glad to be of help.

              Jo

              --- In beam@yahoogroups. com, "Charles Eubanks" <cweubanks@.. .> wrote:

              > Jo,
              > thanks again for the help.. works like a charm! had to recheck a few
              > things and despite my multimeter crapping out on me (cheap Radio
              shack one)
              > got it working...
              >

              > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@. ..>wrote:

              > > I was slightly in error when I wrote this:
              > >

              > > > You will, I imagine, be dropping around 12V across all your LEDs.
              > > > This means you will be getting around 7V across R2, which I have
              > > > shown as 1k. This will mean about 7mA of current through your LEDs.
              > > > If this is not bright enough, lower the value of R2. The formula,
              > > > I = V/R, will give your current.
              > >
              > > I was thinking of you having 19V dc as your supply but, as I stated
              > > in my last post, it will be somewhat higher.
              > >
              > > My excuse is that I was temporarily insane.
              > >
              > > I still think you'll be dropping around 12V across your LEDs,
              > > but you will probably have more than 7V across R2, so more current,
              > > and brighter LEDs.
              > >
              > > It's possible I'm having a relapse, of course.
              > >
              > > Jo

            • Charles Eubanks

                http://www.amazon. com/Radio- Shack-220- 0820-Auto- Ranging-Multimet er/dp/B000KKUY8I /ref=sr_1_ 1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1228163988&sr=8-1
                it worked fine for a while in both instances but now even the new one I just bought is giving crazy inconsistent readings all of the sudden so need to find a new one, preferably a small one.

                On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@yahoo. com.au> wrote:
                Hooray! That's nice to know.

                (I must admit to thinking every now and then, "I hope Chuck doesn't
                write in saying I've blown up his kid's train set...". Now I can relax!)

                Glad to be of help.

                Jo

                --- In beam@yahoogroups. com, "Charles Eubanks" <cweubanks@.. .> wrote:

                > Jo,
                > thanks again for the help.. works like a charm! had to recheck a few
                > things and despite my multimeter crapping out on me (cheap Radio
                shack one)
                > got it working...
                >

                > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@. ..>wrote:

                > > I was slightly in error when I wrote this:
                > >

                > > > You will, I imagine, be dropping around 12V across all your LEDs.
                > > > This means you will be getting around 7V across R2, which I have
                > > > shown as 1k. This will mean about 7mA of current through your LEDs.
                > > > If this is not bright enough, lower the value of R2. The formula,
                > > > I = V/R, will give your current.
                > >
                > > I was thinking of you having 19V dc as your supply but, as I stated
                > > in my last post, it will be somewhat higher.
                > >
                > > My excuse is that I was temporarily insane.
                > >
                > > I still think you'll be dropping around 12V across your LEDs,
                > > but you will probably have more than 7V across R2, so more current,
                > > and brighter LEDs.
                > >
                > > It's possible I'm having a relapse, of course.
                > >
                > > Jo

                xt-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; } o{font-size: 0; } .MsoNormal{ margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-size: 120%; } blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4} -->End group email -->
              • astro9073444
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 3, 2008
                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Charles Eubanks <cweubanks@...> wrote:

                  > Just very simple stuff... Resistor values, voltage on the circuit, etc
                  > but suddenly the readings have started going all over the board and
                  > make no sense...

                  Did you try replacing the battery in your test unit?
                • Charles Eubanks
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 4, 2008
                    I did, same thing still, but gonna try the fuse
                    To see if that does anything

                    On Dec 4, 2008, at 12:20 AM, "astro9073444" <astro90734@...> wrote:

                    --- In beam@yahoogroups. com, Charles Eubanks <cweubanks@. ..> wrote:

                    > Just very simple stuff... Resistor values, voltage on the circuit, etc
                    > but suddenly the readings have started going all over the board and
                    > make no sense...

                    Did you try replacing the battery in your test unit?

                  • wilf_nv
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 9, 2008
                      Hi Jo,

                      your file folder has vanished of the list. Any chance of restoring it?

                      Thanks

                      wilf

                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

                      > Hooray! That's nice to know.
                      >
                      > (I must admit to thinking every now and then, "I hope Chuck doesn't
                      > write in saying I've blown up his kid's train set...". Now I can
                      relax!)

                      > Glad to be of help.
                      >
                      > Jo
                      >
                      > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Eubanks" <cweubanks@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Jo,
                      > > thanks again for the help.. works like a charm! had to recheck
                      a few
                      > > things and despite my multimeter crapping out on me (cheap Radio
                      > shack one)
                      > > got it working...
                      > >

                      > > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Joseph Charles
                      <jodicalhon@>wrote:

                      LEDs.
                      LEDs.

                      > > > I was thinking of you having 19V dc as your supply but, as I
                      stated
                      > > > in my last post, it will be somewhat higher.
                      > > >
                      > > > My excuse is that I was temporarily insane.
                      > > >
                      > > > I still think you'll be dropping around 12V across your LEDs,
                      > > > but you will probably have more than 7V across R2, so more
                      current,
                      > > > and brighter LEDs.
                      > > >
                      > > > It's possible I'm having a relapse, of course.
                      > > >
                      > > > Jo

                    • Joseph Charles
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 10, 2008
                        Hi Wilf,

                        I've restored the folder. It contains both dark turn on circuits.
                        Chuck wanted the light sensor to be a solar cell, so I worked out
                        from there.

                        Jo