Junkbox...continued conversation from 74AC245 chip (ReverseHijaking of thread)

  • m3lt79
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008
      Created this thread so we didn't hijack the original thread.

      This is continued from
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/beam/message/58530

      9th post is where this left off...See RE: at bottom of page if you
      need to catch up.

      This is not aimed directly at those that live over seas...

      I have seen that. The first thing that came to mind was shipping
      costs. If someone receives the box and can not afford to pass it
      along, think of the current economy, then the box lies dormant for a
      few weeks or more. The idea is good for a more complicated bot group
      IMO. The same could be adapted for simple BEAM bots though.

      If someone would like to step up and make some rules/guidelines and
      how this could be carried out. A few questions come to mind...
      (This is not knocking the idea by any means, I am just a planner srry)

      Addresses - Are people involved willing to make address public?
      tracking of box - Would we want to track contents and locations of the
      box?

      Requests for box - Would we want to list items we would like to see
      when box arrives? (If this is possible) Or do you like the surprise?

      Content limits - Would we want to limit contents of box to BEAM
      related components? I would love to see an Arduino show up but that
      would not be relevant to the group...

      Group only - Would we limit this box to BEAM group members or to other
      enthusiast friends as well?

      Weight restrictions - If the box shows up at my door with a 50 pound
      rare earth magnet in it...I'm not greedy but it is staying with me! I
      am in no position to ship something that weighs an ungodly amount.
      Maybe no shipping limits should be made. If that person ships
      something that heavy it could be taken as a gift and replaced with
      something lighter, but shipper should know it will most likely only
      make it to the next stop. That being said should we put some limit or
      restriction of any sort on the box?

      Re: [beam] Re: 74AC245 chip

      Sounds like a great plan(even though I'm in Europe,but maybe for small
      and light parts this isn't a problem).

      Arno

      Myc Holmes wrote:

      > If you start one, I'm in.
      >

      > Myc
      >
      > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Jon & Tammy <signjon@...
      > <mailto:signjon@...>> wrote:
      >
      > http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/junkbox
      > <http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/junkbox>
      >
      > check out this link and start a BEAM version
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > m3lt79 wrote:
      > >
      > > Speaking of...
      > >
      > > Has a "parts swap" ever been brought up within the group?
      > > I have many useful parts but not the ones I need. The parts I have
      > > could be used by other people but I am not greedy enough to sell
      > them.
      > > This could be a good idea with a group of honest people, or a way to
      > > tear a group apart with just 1 dishonest person. Your feelings?
      > >

      > --
      > 200 Summit Lp.
      > Grants Pass,OR 97527
      > 541 474 7782
      >
      > I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find
      > out there isn't,
      > than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is

    • Jon & Tammy
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008
        the first thing that comes to mind (at least stateside) is flat rate
        boxes. whatever you can fit in the box is 7 or 8 bucks regardless of weight.
        so I would recommend if your not willing or able to pay that fee don't
        sign up, no matter how this gets set up there is some amount of honor
        and trust
        that will have to be accounted for.

        check out the GIMJB wiki site for their rules should be a link on the
        site that I posted earlier. I know that there are a few international
        boxes going
        around. and several stateside boxes have "calved" and others that have
        sprang up for specific categories so the BEAM box could be another one.

        Jon

      • jonjb2a
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
          -HOw easy it is to be persuaded to do something, without regard to possible implications or
          consequences. Good to consider several factors, including costs, in this instance. Like I wrote
          earlier in this or other threads: Some things look good on paper but when it comes to actual
          practice, complications are sure to occur.
        • mycroft2152
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
            I'll start the ball rolling. I'll send out the first box. My junkbox
            is definitely overflowing.

            I just ordered some flatrate boxes from the USPS. they will take
            abouyt a week to arrive. in that time we has hash put the details.

            I propose that we post the activity in a folder in the files section.
            that will keep it BEAM related.

            Any thoughts?

            Myc
          • m3lt79
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
              I do not mean to drive the cost up...But please include some sort of
              notepad or folder so each person can note things as they see fit.
              Would be neat to see the notes at the end of a cycle.

              Should we do multiple boxes in order to spread the junk a little
              faster? I have the USPS flat rate boxes already (wife is an ebay
              seller) I was planning on starting it, I feel since I am very new to
              the group that I should make an "act of faith" by starting a box. I do
              not want to sound like you are stealing glory or something
              though...I'm just glad others are interested.

              Is anyone against putting together a list of needed/wanted parts.
              People work in fields that give them access to certain things, other
              people have connections to techno junk unavailable to others.

              Example...
              At work today I found bundles of a heavy gauge wire(non electrical
              12-10 gauge) but is VERY light for it's thickness. Considering walkers
              is a favorite, judging by the poll, this may be a good part for some
              people and I have a lot.

              But again this may take away from the surprise of what you would
              receive but it would help to ensure that needed parts are being
              distributed.

              My junk may be another mans treasure but I have a metric ton of junk.
              So I would prefer hearing what people would like to see or have no
              access to rather than guess what is rare in another persons surroundings.

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "mycroft2152" <mycroft2152y@...> wrote:

              > I'll start the ball rolling. I'll send out the first box. My junkbox
              > is definitely overflowing.
              >
              > I just ordered some flatrate boxes from the USPS. they will take
              > abouyt a week to arrive. in that time we has hash put the details.
              >
              > I propose that we post the activity in a folder in the files section.
              > that will keep it BEAM related.
              >
              > Any thoughts?
              >
              > Myc

            • Myc Holmes
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                Go for it.

                Send out the box. I just wanted to get one started.

                I have no monopoly on the idea, just add me to the list. :)

                Myc

                On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM, m3lt79 <amcnulty79@...> wrote:

                I do not mean to drive the cost up...But please include some sort of
                notepad or folder so each person can note things as they see fit.
                Would be neat to see the notes at the end of a cycle.

                Should we do multiple boxes in order to spread the junk a little
                faster? I have the USPS flat rate boxes already (wife is an ebay
                seller) I was planning on starting it, I feel since I am very new to
                the group that I should make an "act of faith" by starting a box. I do
                not want to sound like you are stealing glory or something
                though...I'm just glad others are interested.

                Is anyone against putting together a list of needed/wanted parts.
                People work in fields that give them access to certain things, other
                people have connections to techno junk unavailable to others.

                Example...
                At work today I found bundles of a heavy gauge wire(non electrical
                12-10 gauge) but is VERY light for it's thickness. Considering walkers
                is a favorite, judging by the poll, this may be a good part for some
                people and I have a lot.

                But again this may take away from the surprise of what you would
                receive but it would help to ensure that needed parts are being
                distributed.

                My junk may be another mans treasure but I have a metric ton of junk.
                So I would prefer hearing what people would like to see or have no
                access to rather than guess what is rare in another persons surroundings.

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "mycroft2152" <mycroft2152y@...> wrote:

                > I'll start the ball rolling. I'll send out the first box. My junkbox
                > is definitely overflowing.
                >
                > I just ordered some flatrate boxes from the USPS. they will take
                > abouyt a week to arrive. in that time we has hash put the details.
                >
                > I propose that we post the activity in a folder in the files section.
                > that will keep it BEAM related.
                >
                > Any thoughts?
                >
                > Myc

              • caleb pearson
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008

                  I think telling people what your putting in the box may take some of the fun out of opening it up and finding out what's in it. People take something out that they want and stick something in that they think other people want. A list of people who have received the box and a list of who should receive the box is another good idea to include. I think there was something like this on MAKEzine.com a while back.
                  Great idea though!

                  To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mycroft2152y@...
                  Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:46:22 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [beam] Re: BEAM Junkbox...

                  On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM, m3lt79 <amcnulty79@gmail. com> wrote:

                  I do not mean to drive the cost up...But please include some sort of
                  notepad or folder so each person can note things as they see fit.
                  Would be neat to see the notes at the end of a cycle.

                  Should we do multiple boxes in order to spread the junk a little
                  faster? I have the USPS flat rate boxes already (wife is an ebay
                  seller) I was planning on starting it, I feel since I am very new to
                  the group that I should make an "act of faith" by starting a box. I do
                  not want to sound like you are stealing glory or something
                  though...I'm just glad others are interested.

                  Is anyone against putting together a list of needed/wanted parts.
                  People work in fields that give them access to certain things, other
                  people have connections to techno junk unavailable to others.

                  Example...
                  At work today I found bundles of a heavy gauge wire(non electrical
                  12-10 gauge) but is VERY light for it's thickness. Considering walkers
                  is a favorite, judging by the poll, this may be a good part for some
                  people and I have a lot.

                  But again this may take away from the surprise of what you would
                  receive but it would help to ensure that needed parts are being
                  distributed.

                  My junk may be another mans treasure but I have a metric ton of junk.
                  So I would prefer hearing what people would like to see or have no
                  access to rather than guess what is rare in another persons surroundings.

                  --- In beam@yahoogroups. com, "mycroft2152" <mycroft2152y@ ...> wrote:

                  > I'll start the ball rolling. I'll send out the first box. My junkbox
                  > is definitely overflowing.
                  >
                  > I just ordered some flatrate boxes from the USPS. they will take
                  > abouyt a week to arrive. in that time we has hash put the details.
                  >
                  > I propose that we post the activity in a folder in the files section.
                  > that will keep it BEAM related.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts?
                  >
                  > Myc

                • Your Friendly Hogfather (J. deVries)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                    Perhaps you really ought to be thinking more of a Greg's List (see greggslist.com and www.gregs-list.net for more information) kind of thing where you've got entries for people who want things and entries for people who have extra stuff and let them contact each other as needed.

                    Extremely strong objections to the entire concept:

                    1) Safety. Someone mentioned sending a 50 lb. rare earth magnet somewhere else. I presume they mean one with a 50 lb. pull. Do they intend to protect the external world of the package against such a strong magnetic field? How about the shipping company - if it happened to be USPS or the like, isn't it possible that it would gum up their hardware? You'd be amazed at what they don't permit to be shipped.

                    Don't you think that other people who are shipping things that are affected by such a dangerous field might not get pretty torqued off when their shipments show up damaged? If such a box moved for any distance, say, next to a Robosapien box, do you think that the latter's functionality is NOT going to be affected?

                    And that is just one instance. Do you intend sending lead and other poisonous materials around willy-nilly? Compressed gasses? Do you happen to know the laws as to what you can or cannot go shipping around?

                    2) Trade taxation across state and country boundaries. You realize, of course, that some of the stuff you are talking about is considered subject to tariff if you send it from one country to another, don't you? Oh, it is easy enough to send a book from hither to yon, but to send a box full of electronic parts without having to pay customs duty is enough to drive you up the wall. You may say that you won't get caught, but what if you do?

                    3) Complete and total restrictions concerning sending things from one country to another. For example, how many times have you seen at the bottom of an advertisement (in the U.S., at least) that says that the item cannot be shipped out of the country? Movement of high-tech stuff across national boundaries is of INCREDIBLE interest to the governments of various countries & pretty often is restricted or forbidden. Ooh, aah - it might have something to do with NATIONAL SECURITY!

                    4) I'm sorry, but this entire thing just sound so utterly random as to be essentially useless. In my family (my four sisters and myself), we'd sometimes make something we'd call a "boodle box" (don't ask me where the name came from) full of candy and trinkets and toys - none of which was of particular value or importance - and give them to each other for presents. It worked OK because it wasn't meant to be practical.

                    But Joe or Jane BEAMer who is in the process of putting together a box to send out - WHAT sort of stuff to they intend sending? Just the stuff of which they've got a real surplus? I mean, consider: how many of you have enough resistors and wires that basically you'll almost never run out of them (and only need, say, special value resistors for extremely special cases.) What would the point be in sending a bunch of nondescript, not particularly useful lumps of junk around? Of course, there might be some of you who have vast numbers of FETs and transistors and ICs and interesting capacitors and diodes and LEDS and coils and motors and the like who are feeling generous, and I suppose donating those to "the community cause" would definitely be useful... but I'll bet those people are relatively rare. Either they've been collecting for a long time, are obsessive-compulsive (and wouldn't give their toys up anyhow [grin] ), or have a lot of money and may well be good enough to act as benefactors. I still don't think there'd be many of them.

                    Sorry to be the sand that throws itself into the gears, but I don't think this has been thought out very well. Some altruistic, noble, and grand ideas are often not practical.

                    ych
                    20081030

                    >I think telling people what your putting in the box may take some of the fun out of opening it up and finding out what's in it. People take something out that they want and stick something in that they think other people want. A list of people who have received the box and a list of who should receive the box is another good idea to include. I think there was something like this on MAKEzine.com a while back.
                    >Great idea though!
                    >

                    >To: beam@yahoogroups.comFrom: mycroft2152y@...: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:46:22 -0400Subject: Re: [beam] Re: BEAM Junkbox...
                    >

                    >Go for it.
                    >
                    >Send out the box. I just wanted to get one started.
                    >
                    >I have no monopoly on the idea, just add me to the list. :)
                    >
                    >Myc
                    >On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM, m3lt79 <amcnulty79@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >I do not mean to drive the cost up...But please include some sort ofnotepad or folder so each person can note things as they see fit.Would be neat to see the notes at the end of a cycle.Should we do multiple boxes in order to spread the junk a littlefaster? I have the USPS flat rate boxes already (wife is an ebayseller) I was planning on starting it, I feel since I am very new tothe group that I should make an "act of faith" by starting a box. I donot want to sound like you are stealing glory or somethingthough...I'm just glad others are interested.Is anyone against putting together a list of needed/wanted parts.People work in fields that give them access to certain things, otherpeople have connections to techno junk unavailable to others. Example...At work today I found bundles of a heavy gauge wire(non electrical12-10 gauge) but is VERY light for it's thickness. Considering walkersis a favorite, judging by the poll, this may be a good part for somepeople and I have a lot. But again this may take away from the surprise of what you wouldreceive but it would help to ensure that needed parts are beingdistributed.My junk may be another mans treasure but I have a metric ton of junk.So I would prefer hearing what people would like to see or have noaccess to rather than guess what is rare in another persons surroundings.
                    >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "mycroft2152" <mycroft2152y@...> wrote:>> I'll start the ball rolling. I'll send out the first box. My junkbox > is definitely overflowing.> > I just ordered some flatrate boxes from the USPS. they will take > abouyt a week to arrive. in that time we has hash put the details.> > I propose that we post the activity in a folder in the files section. > that will keep it BEAM related.> > Any thoughts?> > Myc>

                  • caleb pearson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008

                      Hopefully most people have enogh common sense not to be sending poisonos hazordous and otherwise dangerous materials around in a box that is getting shipped around the country to other people. Why not just start a Junkbox of parts in your province or state, it costs less, and there wont be as many issues with security. Im sure plenty of people have an excess of useful items to be given away. (I know I do). Most of us im sure will also find something useful in a box full of electronics parts. Have you ever bought a Electronic surprise box from Electronic Goldmine? there is almost always something useful.

                      I still think it is a good idea.
                      Caleb

                      To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                      From: hogfather@...
                      Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:19:40 -0600

> [...]

                      >--- In beam@yahoogroups. com, "mycroft2152" <mycroft2152y@ ...> wrote:>> I'll start the ball rolling. I'll send out the first box. My junkbox > is definitely overflowing. > > I just ordered some flatrate boxes from the USPS. they will take > abouyt a week to arrive. in that time we has hash put the details.> > I propose that we post the activity in a folder in the files section. > that will keep it BEAM related.> > Any thoughts?> > Myc>

                    • Myc Holmes
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                        YFHF.

                        Some good points but most are irrelevant.

                        Common sense will rule. I doubt there are many BEAMers are willing to give up 50 lb magnets even if they have one.

                        The BEAM box may just have to be sent within a country's borders to avoid custom's problems.

                        The concept has been proven -see the wikipedia article. I for one am willing to give it try - even if shortly dies out.

                        We'll just keep your name off the list  :)

                        Myc

                      • m3lt79
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                          I know your post was made with the best intentions, but I seriously
                          found #1 hysterical. The point of the thought that you are referring
                          could have been a 50 pound feather, or shredded paper. It was the
                          point of sending a 50 pound box, shipping costs.

                          Your international point does bring up a good point. BUT...I would
                          still risk it. What would they do if they found a box of desoldered
                          pager motors, capacitors, coat hangers, gear motors and solar cells?
                          I would gladly let them slap the cuffs on me as I laughed all the way
                          downtown.
                          Bright side? A day off work with no screaming kids.

                          The point of the junk box is a way to share and to stimulate ones
                          imagination with other enthusiasts, Possibly making a friend in the
                          process.

                          As for the #4...Yes it is utterly random, and that sort of the point.

                          What would it hurt if the box showed up at your door? $10 shipping ($3
                          more than solarbotics for me) and the chance to get a little something
                          you may not have. I payed just under $10 to ship a 2-4 gram coil a
                          month ago...I cursed them everyday until it showed up. It was the only
                          supplier of that part I could find.

                          I would pay double shipping for a 3 pound grab bag of electronics,
                          call it silly, but we all have our pet peeves and shipping is mine.

                          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Your Friendly Hogfather (J. deVries)"

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                            http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/junkbox

                            the original idea

                            http://tgimboej.org/

                            the wiki site with guidelines

                            Its already being done. not to be mean but it has been thought out and
                            implemented and seems somewhat successful

                            Jon

                            Your Friendly Hogfather (J. deVries) wrote:
> [...]
                            > benefactors. I still don't think there'd be many of them.
                            >

                            > Sorry to be the sand that throws itself into the gears, but I don't think this has been thought out very well. Some altruistic, noble, and grand ideas are often not practical.

                          • Tom Gray
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                              I have lots of overstock that I'll gladly share.  Count me in.

                              Keep BEAMing and dreaming
                              Tom