grouply

  • jonjb2a
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
      A couple of days ago, I was invited to join grouply.com. My concern is whether there any
      drawbacks to that particular site. If so, that would really be the pits. Also, i followed through
      on a message to invite other people to join the group(s) there. If the invitations happen to be
      spam, my apologies. For all I know, that's one of the possibly many drawbacks. Some links
      seem to exist in order to promote such practice (sending forwards, spam and the like). My
      reasons for joining groups such as Beam (as well as Circuit bending) is to share info about
      bots and well, circuit bending, as well as to learn about both. Certainly I did not join in order
      to abuse these privileges. SO my apologies if what I did has clogged up people's email boxes
      with useless messages. Hopefully I will learn from the experience and think twice before
      repeating it.
    • Your Friendly Hogfather (J. deVries)
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
        So was I, by "droidmakr" (I believe his nickname is) - this was the third "social engineering" site on which he'd made contact with me. I sent a message to him the first time asking what he wanted to talk about, and the reply was basically negative. The second invitation, from another site, but the same guy, started me on the edge of getting torqued off. I get an enormous amount of email and I'm handling it OK, but I don't need some random person getting me to join some random site (or hook up on one I'm already using) to make life... uh... different. Then I got the Grouply piece of garbage, hit the "don't send me any more crap" button, it took me to a page to ask me for my email address saying that it would send me an opt-out message (strictly speaking, this is illegal: sites are ONLY permitted to ask you if you really wish(ed) to opt-in) & I never got any such message. Furthermore, when I used the URL to see if I could block this dolt from sending me more garbage, I was given a page whose ONLY option was to join (or just navigate away).

        All told, I'm REALLY not impressed with how Grouply handles this junk, and I'm finally over the limit concerning the twit who keeps sending unsolicited invitations. Besides which, he appears to believe that Tilden is essentially The One True G*d as far as BEAM is concerned and has written an article to that effect on the BEAM Wiki that utterly ignores (OK, in advance, but I think you get what I mean) something someone just wrote pointing out that Tilden had departed "from this vale of BEAM" years ago and the only decent contributions occurring since were in this mailing list (I didn't write anything at that point, but I've made the same comment for at least the last four years running.) OK, Tilden got it started with a bang, but if ANYONE tries to convince me that the RS Media is "BEAM" in any way, I'll blast them until their asbestos suit glows.

        Your Slightly Crabby Hoggishness

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
          Good day Zoz,

          > All told, I'm REALLY not impressed with how Grouply handles this
          > junk, and I'm finally over the limit concerning the twit who keeps
          > sending unsolicited invitations.

          I received all the same messages you did. I would blame the
          technology rather than the individual. With Grouply, you can send the
          request to everyone on your groups. The problem is that many of us
          are on the multiple groups and the tech does not differentiate. So,
          say you are on two groups, you get two emails from one person making
          one request.

          Behold the power of Web 2.0. (And when I write "power", I mean the
          rough first draft features that regularly accompany new software.)

          > he appears to believe that Tilden is essentially The One True G*d
          > as far as BEAM is concerned and has written an article to that
          > effect on the BEAM Wiki ...

          Good catch. I might suggest you blame the material rather than the
          librarian, but that risks repeating myself. "Droidmakr" is still
          pulling in materials from multiple sources. Everyone can play a roll
          in vetting and improving the information.

          Behold the power of the Wiki. (And when I write "power", I mean to
          suggest the power you have to improve upon the article by adding your
          thoughts.)

          > if ANYONE tries to convince me that the RS Media is "BEAM" in any
          > way, I'll blast them until their asbestos suit glows.

          Aye, that sounds fun. If I only had the time.

          Cheers,

          J Wolfgang Goerlich
        • jonjb2a
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
            -Thanks for the insights. Live and learn. Ekki ekki ekki ekki patang patang patang zapong
            zhiv, as the former Knights who say ni said on "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

            As for me, it's back to the bots (and circuit bending, since I do that too).

            Cheers.
          • jonjb2a
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
              Thanks for the input.

              I don't like to spread myself too thin. In other words, there's no point in joining a slew of
              groups. I'd be bouncing from site to site, reading messages and maybe replying to them.
              Then again, in some groups, all too likely I'd be totally lost. It's like, what is going on here?
              I'm a fish out of water. My knowledge of some subjects is limited at best and I'm lucky to
              learn new things. Then again, sooner or later, some people could catch on I'm a rank
              beginner or amateur.

              Another problem here: Grouply gives a crazy incentive to get people to join: You could win a
              prize (yeah, like what am I going to do with a Wii)! If there ever was a marketing ploy (hard
              sell in my opinion), it is that. I feel like dirt having been suckered. Like I said, it's a learning
              experience.
            • Leo
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
                What are your thoughts about a beam specific group on YouTube? What
                would be the best name for it?

                beam robotics
                nervous networks
                junkbots

                Any ideas?
              • caleb pearson
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
                  Beam Robotics.
                  :P

                  To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                  From: leon.san.email@...
                  Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:47:59 +0300
                  Subject: [beam] channel on YouTube

                  What are your thoughts about a beam specific group on YouTube? What
                  would be the best name for it?

                  beam robotics
                  nervous networks
                  junkbots

                  Any ideas?

                • Jonathan Brandstater
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
                    Beam 'bots, for the alliteration? Junkbots is definitely another cool possibility.
                  • supertigerchan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
                      Aye,

                      "BEAM Robotics" sounds good to me.

                      "Beambots"... mmm nahh too close to something that rhymes with
                      youknowhat o'jimbo

                      :-P

                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, caleb pearson <boo_ya_samuri_dude@...> wrote:

                      > Beam Robotics.
                      > :P
                      >

                      > To: beam@...: leon.san.email@...: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:47:59
                      +0300Subject: [beam] channel on YouTube

                      > What are your thoughts about a beam specific group on YouTube?
                      Whatwould be the best name for it?beam roboticsnervous
                      networksjunkbotsAny ideas?

                    • Arno
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
                        Great idea,my vote would go to BEAM robotics too....

                        Leo wrote:

                        > What are your thoughts about a beam specific group on YouTube? What
                        > would be the best name for it?
                        >
                        > beam robotics
                        > nervous networks
                        > junkbots
                        >
                        > Any ideas?

                      • jonjb2a
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 24, 2008
                          -Touche. Please note: I'd rule out botsters since Botster (TM) is a trademark name for an
                          interactive toy, along the lines of PooChi, manufactured by Tiger.
                        • Leo
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 25, 2008
                            Sorry guys, I misunderstood the concept of a 'channel'. Its apparently a
                            fancy profile just for one person.
                            I thought it was kind of a public place anyone could upload to (like a
                            group). With similar settings like 'Subscribe to', so we could check out
                            all the latest Beam uploads.
                          • Leo
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 25, 2008
                              Ok, so there is a groups feature on YouTube. I made this...

                              http://www.youtube.com/group/beam

                              Its totally open to post to, comment etc...
                              I'll keep an eye out for spam.
                            • jonjb2a
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 25, 2008
                                -Way to go. Nice to have a slew of videos in one place. Those BEAM bot videos are expecially
                                inspiring and educational
                              • m3lt79
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 26, 2008
                                  Very nice! Will be neat to see what this will have in a few months!

                                  I gotta find something to take video that is PC compatible now, so I
                                  can add my few bots.

                                  Side note...I wish there was an RSS feed for the group.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 26, 2008
                                    m3lt79 wrote:
                                    > Side note...I wish there was an RSS feed for the group.

                                    Good idea! Here you go:

                                    Regards,

                                    J Wolfgang Goerlich
                                  • Andreas Hinz
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 31, 2008
                                      hi

                                      i want to ask you, please can you remove my email/account from your group?

                                      i didn't find my login password to do this myself...

                                      thx

                                      andy

                                      -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                                      > Datum: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:54:39 -0000
                                      > Von: "jonjb2a" <jonjb2a@...>
                                      > An: beam@yahoogroups.com
                                      > Betreff: [beam] grouply

                                      > A couple of days ago, I was invited to join grouply.com. My concern is
                                      > whether there any
                                      > drawbacks to that particular site. If so, that would really be the pits.
                                      > Also, i followed through
                                      > on a message to invite other people to join the group(s) there. If the
                                      > invitations happen to be
                                      > spam, my apologies. For all I know, that's one of the possibly many
                                      > drawbacks. Some links
                                      > seem to exist in order to promote such practice (sending forwards, spam
                                      > and the like). My
                                      > reasons for joining groups such as Beam (as well as Circuit bending) is to
                                      > share info about
                                      > bots and well, circuit bending, as well as to learn about both. Certainly
                                      > I did not join in order
                                      > to abuse these privileges. SO my apologies if what I did has clogged up
                                      > people's email boxes
                                      > with useless messages. Hopefully I will learn from the experience and
                                      > think twice before
                                      > repeating it.

                                    • jonjb2a
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 31, 2008
                                        I don't have a group per se. If there is a way to "leave" grouply, I will do so. I am quite
                                        content to post messages to the yahoo BEAM group (as well as to the circuit bending group,
                                        or rather, benders anonymous), of which I am a member.

                                        Sorry for all the hassle.