Tracked solar robot.

  • jabmechtech
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2008
      Hi all.
      I've been working on a tracked robot, based off of the "dozer"
      circuit. the only problem I'm having is that there is too much drag
      on the treds when it moves.
      Let me explain better if i can.
      One side fires at a time so when it tries to turn for the light it
      grinds away at one side and dose not move verry well. I put it
      outside and watched it move 1' in about 30min. not verry good. skid
      turning is not working.

      Is there a way to make it fire both sides, one forward one reverse,
      to pivit on the spot then go forward, both sides fireing at the same
      or almost the same time?

      I'll get some video of it and the other bots I've made of late.
      Thanks for the help and advise in advance.

      I have to use my mother inlaws comp to get online and I don't get
      much time to do it. :(
      later
      jabmechtech
      build your dreams
    • Joseph Charles
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2008
        Hi Jab,

        You could try something like this:

        It's untested and you'd have to solarize it, but hopefully it
        will do what you want.

        When the light on both PD's is balanced both motors should
        drive forward.

        When the Left PD has more light the left motor should reverse,
        turning the bot back to the light. Similarly, when the Right PD
        has more light the right motor should reverse.

        Maybe try it with a battery first and see how it goes.

        Hope it's of some help.

        Jo

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@...> wrote:

        > Hi all.
        > I've been working on a tracked robot, based off of the "dozer"
        > circuit. the only problem I'm having is that there is too much drag
        > on the treds when it moves.
        > Let me explain better if i can.
        > One side fires at a time so when it tries to turn for the light it
        > grinds away at one side and dose not move verry well. I put it
        > outside and watched it move 1' in about 30min. not verry good. skid
        > turning is not working.
        >
        > Is there a way to make it fire both sides, one forward one reverse,
        > to pivit on the spot then go forward, both sides fireing at the same
        > or almost the same time?
        >
        > I'll get some video of it and the other bots I've made of late.
        > Thanks for the help and advise in advance.
        >
        > I have to use my mother inlaws comp to get online and I don't get
        > much time to do it. :(
        > later
        > jabmechtech
        > build your dreams

      • jabmechtech
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9 3:28 PM
          Hi Jo,
          The link is not working. Sorry for the late reply.
          YES that sounds like what I'm looking for though. THANK YOU.
          Jab

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jab,
          >
          > You could try something like this:
          >
          > It's untested and you'd have to solarize it, but hopefully it
          > will do what you want.
          >
          > When the light on both PD's is balanced both motors should
          > drive forward.
          >
          > When the Left PD has more light the left motor should reverse,
          > turning the bot back to the light. Similarly, when the Right PD
          > has more light the right motor should reverse.
          >
          > Maybe try it with a battery first and see how it goes.
          >
          > Hope it's of some help.
          >
          > Jo
          >

          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all.
          > > I've been working on a tracked robot, based off of the "dozer"
          > > circuit. the only problem I'm having is that there is too much
          drag
          > > on the treds when it moves.
          > > Let me explain better if i can.
          > > One side fires at a time so when it tries to turn for the light
          it
          > > grinds away at one side and dose not move verry well. I put it
          > > outside and watched it move 1' in about 30min. not verry good.
          skid
          > > turning is not working.
          > >
          > > Is there a way to make it fire both sides, one forward one
          reverse,
          > > to pivit on the spot then go forward, both sides fireing at the
          same
          > > or almost the same time?
          > >
          > > I'll get some video of it and the other bots I've made of late.
          > > Thanks for the help and advise in advance.
          > >
          > > I have to use my mother inlaws comp to get online and I don't get
          > > much time to do it. :(
          > > later
          > > jabmechtech
          > > build your dreams

        • Joseph Charles
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10 3:26 AM
            Ooops, sorry Jab, I took it down.

            It would have needed a 5V supply, or thereabouts, and I
            imagine you are operating on about 3V. Let me know.

            This circuit used an LED to bridge the hysteresis of the
            74HC14's inputs, but may not work properly with a low
            voltage supply.

            If you were prepared to use an opamp based design, a
            more reliable solution could be given - one which could
            handle a variety of supply voltages.

            Let me know your robot specs.

            Cheers,

          • jabmechtech
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 14 3:56 PM
              Jo,

              the only real specks on it that matter. is that the circuit has to be
              small, the size of a 74AC14, and I can use a recharge capacitor for
              the power suply. It dose not have to be solar powered. The fun part
              so far has been getting the body to look just right. I hope to post
              some video of it soon. (when I get more time).
              If you get a chance could you post that circuit agien. And I'll see
              if it can be worked into the overall design.
              Thanks Jab.

            • Joseph Charles
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 16 2:09 AM
                Hi Jab,

                I've posted the circuit again:

                I did a brief trial on a small wheeled platform, with a 6V
                supply, and it seems to work fine.

                Just make sure that both motors are wired to spin forward
                when the bot is facing the light.

                With the light balanced on the photodiodes there will be a
                high on pins 10 and 2, and a low on pins 4 and 8. I just tested
                my motors with a battery to check they turned the right way
                with that polarity before wiring them into the circuit proper.

                I hope it is of some help to you.

                Good luck!

              • jabmechtech
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 25 6:50 PM
                  Cool! Thanks Jo.
                  I Realy appericeate all of your help.
                  Jab

                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Jab,
                  >
                  > I've posted the circuit again:
                  >
                  > I did a brief trial on a small wheeled platform, with a 6V
                  > supply, and it seems to work fine.
                  >
                  > Just make sure that both motors are wired to spin forward
                  > when the bot is facing the light.
                  >
                  > With the light balanced on the photodiodes there will be a
                  > high on pins 10 and 2, and a low on pins 4 and 8. I just tested
                  > my motors with a battery to check they turned the right way
                  > with that polarity before wiring them into the circuit proper.
                  >
                  > I hope it is of some help to you.
                  >
                  > Good luck!
                  >
                  > Jo
                  >

                  > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Jo,
                  > >
                  > > the only real specks on it that matter. is that the circuit has
                  to be
                  > > small, the size of a 74AC14, and I can use a recharge capacitor
                  for
                  > > the power suply. It dose not have to be solar powered. The fun
                  part
                  > > so far has been getting the body to look just right. I hope to
                  post
                  > > some video of it soon. (when I get more time).
                  > > If you get a chance could you post that circuit agien. And I'll
                  see
                  > > if it can be worked into the overall design.
                  > > Thanks Jab.
                  > >
                  > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Ooops, sorry Jab, I took it down.
                  > > >
                  > > > It would have needed a 5V supply, or thereabouts, and I
                  > > > imagine you are operating on about 3V. Let me know.
                  > > >
                  > > > This circuit used an LED to bridge the hysteresis of the
                  > > > 74HC14's inputs, but may not work properly with a low
                  > > > voltage supply.
                  > > >
                  > > > If you were prepared to use an opamp based design, a
                  > > > more reliable solution could be given - one which could
                  > > > handle a variety of supply voltages.
                  > > >
                  > > > Let me know your robot specs.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > >
                  > > > Jo

                  Right PD

                  > > the "dozer"
                  > > much
                  > > light
                  > > it
                  > > good.

                  > > the

                  > > late.

                  > > get

                • jax225
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7 2:08 PM
                    I was looking into using tracks on my bot as well and did some minor google research about drag while skid turning. I read on a tank site that long treads that are close together exhibit the greatest turning resistance with the drag reducing with more distance between the two treads and shorter overall tread length. I was hoping you could share me the dimensions of your tracked configuration. It might be useful if I do go for tracks over wheels in the end.