Re: Any experience on using CIGS or Grätzel cells in BEAM devices?

  • antti10001
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2008
      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Myc Holmes" <mycroft2152y@...> wrote:

      > That sure sounded like a commercial advertisement to me!
      >
      > Myc

      I apologize the tone, but I thought that it would be just good
      to include the URL's, so that people would see what I'm talking
      about. And yes, it's often a different thing what the companies
      promise on their web pages than what they deliver!
      I'm not in any way affiliated with these companies.
      Instead, I live in a cloudy and often very dark northern country,
      where, when it shines, one usually doesn't want to stay indoors,
      but enjoy the rare sun. So, the promise of a solar cell that
      would give enough volts (for a Solar engine) even at weak indoor
      lighting sounds good.

      Yours,

      Antti

      http://www.globalsolar.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=228

      http://www.globalsolar.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=224

      http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2204120/mobile-solar-charger-firm
      > > and this page claims that the price is only $20:
      > > http://www.g24i.

      .com/news,afrigadget-affordable-solar-charger-for-mobile-phones,61.html

      > > I would like so much to connect my multimeter into these
      > > things and measure them in various lighting conditions.
      > > (I wonder whether cells in G24's charger would stand cutting it
      > > into smaller pieces.)
      > >

      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Antti

    • antti10001
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2008
        Hmm, shouldn't fetch all the information from American sources only...

        Here is a very good article about the Gr«£tzel cells at Japanese site:
        http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20080625/153868/
        (at least Sony intends to use them in their consumer applications).

        There is even a comparison of efficiencies in various lighting
        conditions:
        http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20080625/153868/fig6.jpg

        Try also entering "CIGS" into the search field at that site.

        Yours,

        Antti

        > > On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Antti Karvajalka <antti10001@>
        > > wrote:
        > >

        > > > Hello!
        > > >
        > > > I'm just wondering if anybody here has used
        > > > either CIGS (Copper Indium Gallium Selenium)
        > > > thin film cells or Gr�zel cells (i.e. dye-sensitized solar cells)
        > > > in their BEAM-projects? It is said that the conversion
        > > > efficiency is not so great as with (crystalline) silicon cells,
        > > > but the good point is that they should generate electricity
        > > > even with quite weak and indirect light.
        > > >

        > > > Here are some links:
        > > >
        > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_indium_gallium_selenide
        > > >
        > > > At least Global Solar ( http://www.globalsolar.com/ )
        > > > has some chargers in production, and here are some interesting
        > reviews:

        http://www.globalsolar.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=228

        http://www.globalsolar.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=224

        > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sensitized_solar_cell
        > > >
        > > > It seems that Konarka ( http://www.konarka.com ) has
        > > > licensed some of its technology to Wales-based G24i,
        > > > which in turn produces mobile chargers like these
        > > > http://www..g24i.com/pages,products,40.html
        > > > (there is only one year warranty, so maybe their
        > > > lifetime doesn't yet reach that of Si-cells...)
        > > >
        > > > Apparently, you can currently purchase them only in Kenya (if even
        > there?):

        http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2204120/mobile-solar-charger-firm
        > > > and this page claims that the price is only $20:
        > > > http://www.g24i.
        > > >
        > .com/news,afrigadget-affordable-solar-charger-for-mobile-phones,61.html
        > > >
        > > > I would like so much to connect my multimeter into these
        > > > things and measure them in various lighting conditions.
        > > > (I wonder whether cells in G24's charger would stand cutting it
        > > > into smaller pieces.)
        > > >

        > > > Cheers,
        > > >
        > > > Antti

      • wilf_nv
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2008
          Antti: no apologies needed, thanks for the interesting links.

          Myc: Thanks for your cautious warning but I have no concerns in this
          case.

          wilf

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "antti10001" <antti10001@...> wrote:

          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Myc Holmes" <mycroft2152y@> wrote:
          > >
          > > That sure sounded like a commercial advertisement to me!
          > >
          > > Myc
          > >

          > I apologize the tone, but I thought that it would be just good
          > to include the URL's, so that people would see what I'm talking
          > about. And yes, it's often a different thing what the companies
          > promise on their web pages than what they deliver!
          > I'm not in any way affiliated with these companies.
          > Instead, I live in a cloudy and often very dark northern country,
          > where, when it shines, one usually doesn't want to stay indoors,
          > but enjoy the rare sun. So, the promise of a solar cell that
          > would give enough volts (for a Solar engine) even at weak indoor
          > lighting sounds good.
          >

          > Yours,
          >
          > Antti
          >

          > > On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Antti Karvajalka <antti10001@>
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hello!
          > > >
          > > > I'm just wondering if anybody here has used
          > > > either CIGS (Copper Indium Gallium Selenium)
          > > > thin film cells or Grätzel cells (i.e. dye-sensitized solar
          cells)
          > > > in their BEAM-projects? It is said that the conversion
          > > > efficiency is not so great as with (crystalline) silicon cells,
          > > > but the good point is that they should generate electricity
          > > > even with quite weak and indirect light.
          > > >

          > > > Here are some links:
          > > >
          > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_indium_gallium_selenide
          > > >
          > > > At least Global Solar ( http://www.globalsolar.com/ )
          > > > has some chargers in production, and here are some interesting
          > reviews:
          > > >

          > http://www.globalsolar.com/index.php?
          option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=228

          > http://www.globalsolar.com/index.php?
          option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=224

          > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sensitized_solar_cell
          > > >
          > > > It seems that Konarka ( http://www.konarka.com ) has
          > > > licensed some of its technology to Wales-based G24i,
          > > > which in turn produces mobile chargers like these
          > > > http://www..g24i.com/pages,products,40.html
          > > > (there is only one year warranty, so maybe their
          > > > lifetime doesn't yet reach that of Si-cells...)
          > > >
          > > > Apparently, you can currently purchase them only in Kenya (if
          even
          > there?):
          > > >

          > http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2204120/mobile-
          solar-charger-firm
          > > > and this page claims that the price is only $20:
          > > > http://www.g24i.
          > > >
          > .com/news,afrigadget-affordable-solar-charger-for-mobile-
          phones,61.html

          > > > I would like so much to connect my multimeter into these
          > > > things and measure them in various lighting conditions.
          > > > (I wonder whether cells in G24's charger would stand cutting it
          > > > into smaller pieces.)
          > > >

          > > > Cheers,
          > > >
          > > > Antti

        • Myc Holmes
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2008
            My apologies, but it was a very detailed post fromm a new member..

            It sounded like a standard business press release to "spread the word".  I think Antti has a definite career path with his writing skills.

            Any new type of solar cells is very welcome. If they can get the prices down and a distribution channel opened.

            Myc