Re: Another Noob-ish question, Smartcap nocturnal SE.

  • Joseph Charles
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      If you can't get a germanium diode, any small signal
      silicon diode will do, e.g. 1N4148 etc., but you will
      have a voltage drop of around 0.6V instead of the 0.2V
      drop of the germanium. A Schottky diode will also
      give a low forward voltage, but are usually somewhat more
      expensive than regular diodes (well, when I last looked,
      anyway.)

      Depending on what you are doing with the picaxe, you might
      be interested in Wilf's SIMD1 Solar Regulator:
      http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/se_noct_SIMD1SR.html

      Ummm, what *are* you doing with the picaxe? :)

      Jo

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "kmcderm133" <kmcderm133@...> wrote:
      I couldn't find the germanium 1N34a,
      > so I used the filters on Digikey and ordered what looked like a
      > suitable replacement... They sent this big thing (Not TOO big) with
      > leads that don't fit in the breadboard! The manufacturer part number
      > for this is MR854 and Digikey's part number is MR854OS-ND. After I get
      > everything else sorted out, is there a better diode I could be using?
    • kmcderm133
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
        Wilf,
        I'm actually using a 4.7F cap. I did a little research and it
        seems like caps would be the better way to go. They have a longer
        life, deal with temperatures better, and the batteries might take too
        long to charge. What do you mean by solar power management via the
        Picaxe? I'm building a project I found on instructables.com, it's a
        Firefly Jar. The one on the site is powered by a button battery and
        switched on manually. I wanted it to be more BEAM-ish. :) I would have
        gone analog with the cricuit, but it seems like it would be too many
        parts to fit under the cap of a mason jar. :D Here's a link:
        http://www.instructables.com/id/Jar-of-Fireflies/ Again, it's not my
        design, (don't want to take credit for it) I just want to make it
        solar. :)

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "wilf_nv" <wrigter@...> wrote:

        > I don't remember why I would have submitted that smartcap circuit but
        > the post suggests I simply converted a functional description of the
        > circuit into a schematic. Does it not make more sense to use a
        > battery or a larger primary cap? In any case a picaxe has enough
        > build-in features to efficiently handle the task of solar power
        > management.
        >
        > wilf
      • kmcderm133
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
          Jo,
          I just posted back to Wilf in this same thread, and I'll put it here
          too. Instructables is a GREAT site! (Careful, it's addictive!!!!!) I'm
          building Keso's Jar of Fireflies. Here's the link:
          http://www.instructables.com/id/Jar-of-Fireflies/ I'll see if rat
          shack has one of those diodes. Also, the voltage drop was 2V, not 0.2V. :(

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

          > If you can't get a germanium diode, any small signal
          > silicon diode will do, e.g. 1N4148 etc., but you will
          > have a voltage drop of around 0.6V instead of the 0.2V
          > drop of the germanium. A Schottky diode will also
          > give a low forward voltage, but are usually somewhat more
          > expensive than regular diodes (well, when I last looked,
          > anyway.)
          >
          > Depending on what you are doing with the picaxe, you might
          > be interested in Wilf's SIMD1 Solar Regulator:
          > http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/se_noct_SIMD1SR.html
          >
          > Ummm, what *are* you doing with the picaxe? :)
          >
          > Jo
          >

          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "kmcderm133" <kmcderm133@> wrote:
          > I couldn't find the germanium 1N34a,
          > > so I used the filters on Digikey and ordered what looked like a
          > > suitable replacement... They sent this big thing (Not TOO big) with
          > > leads that don't fit in the breadboard! The manufacturer part number
          > > for this is MR854 and Digikey's part number is MR854OS-ND. After I get
          > > everything else sorted out, is there a better diode I could be using?

        • Myc Holmes
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
            The "jar of fireflies: is a very impressive project.t's like candy, you can just do one!

            I've probably made a half dozen so far, they are great as gifts.

            For those of you who have followed the SMARTBEAM thread, the PICAXE micro is a lot easier to use. down in the comments, there is a link to a Botorincs site with the circuit and software.

            Myc

            On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:03 PM, kmcderm133 <kmcderm133@...> wrote:

            Jo,
            I just posted back to Wilf in this same thread, and I'll put it here
            too. Instructables is a GREAT site! (Careful, it's addictive!!!!!) I'm
            building Keso's Jar of Fireflies. Here's the link:
            http://www.instructables.com/id/Jar-of-Fireflies/ I'll see if rat
            shack has one of those diodes. Also, the voltage drop was 2V, not 0.2V. :(

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

            > If you can't get a germanium diode, any small signal
            > silicon diode will do, e.g. 1N4148 etc., but you will
            > have a voltage drop of around 0.6V instead of the 0.2V
            > drop of the germanium. A Schottky diode will also
            > give a low forward voltage, but are usually somewhat more
            > expensive than regular diodes (well, when I last looked,
            > anyway.)
            >
            > Depending on what you are doing with the picaxe, you might
            > be interested in Wilf's SIMD1 Solar Regulator:
            > http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/se_noct_SIMD1SR.html
            >
            > Ummm, what *are* you doing with the picaxe? :)
            >
            > Jo
            >

            > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "kmcderm133" <kmcderm133@> wrote:
            > I couldn't find the germanium 1N34a,
            > > so I used the filters on Digikey and ordered what looked like a
            > > suitable replacement... They sent this big thing (Not TOO big) with
            > > leads that don't fit in the breadboard! The manufacturer part number
            > > for this is MR854 and Digikey's part number is MR854OS-ND. After I get
            > > everything else sorted out, is there a better diode I could be using?

          • wilf_nv
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
              For an analog solution do a search for QLF. Especially look at the
              QLF11 circuit which includes a voltage regulating, dark turn-on SE.
              Four LEDs flash independently while the brightness of each LED
              varies with a linear fade in and fade out effect.

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "kmcderm133" <kmcderm133@...> wrote:

              > Wilf,
              > I'm actually using a 4.7F cap. I did a little research and it
              > seems like caps would be the better way to go. They have a longer
              > life, deal with temperatures better, and the batteries might take
              too
              > long to charge. What do you mean by solar power management via the
              > Picaxe? I'm building a project I found on instructables.com, it's a
              > Firefly Jar. The one on the site is powered by a button battery and
              > switched on manually. I wanted it to be more BEAM-ish. :) I would
              have
              > gone analog with the cricuit, but it seems like it would be too many
              > parts to fit under the cap of a mason jar. :D Here's a link:
              > http://www.instructables.com/id/Jar-of-Fireflies/ Again, it's not my
              > design, (don't want to take credit for it) I just want to make it
              > solar. :)
              >
              > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "wilf_nv" <wrigter@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I don't remember why I would have submitted that smartcap circuit
              but
              > > the post suggests I simply converted a functional description of
              the
              > > circuit into a schematic. Does it not make more sense to use a
              > > battery or a larger primary cap? In any case a picaxe has enough
              > > build-in features to efficiently handle the task of solar power
              > > management.
              > >
              > > wilf

            • kmcderm133
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
                Thanks for the suggestion! :) Do you know of any good, free
                schematic/simulation programs? I've had the parts for the Smartcap for
                a few weeks now, and I'd like to try to render that and the QLF,
                hopefully in a program that has some test equipment.