Re: [beam] Fredipede

  • Bruce Robinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2000
      Ben Hitchcock wrote:

      > ... Anyway, just thought I'd share this picture with you. Any ideas
      > on how to make the fredipede perform better? Maybe have the head FRED
      > trigger all the slave FREDs?

      Very interesting, Ben.

      How about making the links slightly springy? Long tension springs, or
      even elastic bands.

      Bruce
    • turtletek@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2000
        In a message dated 9/17/00 9:19:59 PM Central Daylight Time, beh01@...
        writes:

        > Anyway, just thought I'd share this picture with you. Any ideas on how to
        > make the fredipede perform better? Maybe have the head FRED trigger all
        the
        > slave FREDs?

        I think Paul Beckingham has done something like this, with 2 photopoppers.
        Unfortunatly, his website has been down for some time and I don't remember
        the details.
        Maybe one 'popper was the master, while the other was the slave. ..That
        might've just been an idea of his, not yet experimented with. Or was it that
        one was phototropic and the other photophobic? They'd be back-to-back, One
        would push, and the other would pull. ..Then again, I could be just making up
        new ideas trying to remember what Paul did.
        Maybe you could do both. One tell the other to fire. The first would pull
        towards light while the other would push (going backwards) away from
        darkness. ..

        Well, there's my mind's worth.

        -Brien the TurtleTek
        www.extremesc.com/turtletek
      • Patrick Pintens
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
          How about giving all of them a set of feelers, the 'followers' would have no
          choice but follow the fred in front of him, and the first fred could steer
          the lot away from obstacles!

          my two franks

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
            If you can make a fredipede, imagine a beamantapede!!!!

            Take and link up a bunch of bicores to a master light bridge and create a
            really cool lamprey bot, if you connected them with some kind of elastic
            hinge you could make an incredibly nifty bot!!! C"ya

            -Spencer

            <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

            not a robot scientist
            not a college major
            not a grad student
            not a professor
            not a very organized person
            just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

            I didn't write this!
            | |
            | |
            \/