solar Turbot ??

  • jabmechtech
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2008
      Hi.
      I need so helpfull advise.
      I'm working with a turbot, I'm building the boddy first.
      I was wondering, what is the BEST circuit for a solar turbot?
      this will be 5" wide or so & triangle in shape.
      the Idea is to build a solar powered robot that I will take with me
      wherever we go this year and take pictures of it or videos of it in the
      cool places I'll be going to. I thought a Turbot would look the coolest
      and would all so be the toughest thing I could build.
      But, what circuit to use, bicore or latching?
      Can I solarize a Bicore turbot?and will I need two millers or just one?
      I like that it reverses if it gets hung up on something.
      thank you for the help in advance.
      jab
    • Jesse
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2008
        jwgolrech is a pretty knowledgeable guy on this matter. he built a
        bunch of turbots with different designs. Flipper was a FLED based
        one. If you go to his site, read all the different notes he has on
        them. He even has a turbot tutorial.

        http://jwgoerlich.solarbotics.net/

        Best with this project. i think one miller engine would work. Yes,
        you can solarise a bicore. look at beamants and shok poppers for
        example, they are a type of bicore design. you may want to use a
        motor driver such as h bridge or a 240 or L239 driver(or what ever
        its called). optopns options options....

        Jesse
        Just build it

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@...> wrote:

        > Hi.
        > I need so helpfull advise.
        > I'm working with a turbot, I'm building the boddy first.
        > I was wondering, what is the BEST circuit for a solar turbot?
        > this will be 5" wide or so & triangle in shape.
        > the Idea is to build a solar powered robot that I will take with me
        > wherever we go this year and take pictures of it or videos of it in
        the
        > cool places I'll be going to. I thought a Turbot would look the
        coolest
        > and would all so be the toughest thing I could build.
        > But, what circuit to use, bicore or latching?
        > Can I solarize a Bicore turbot?and will I need two millers or just
        one?
        > I like that it reverses if it gets hung up on something.
        > thank you for the help in advance.
        > jab

      • Jesse
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 16, 2008
          sorry for the self reply, but i did see that jwgolrech has a "build
          sheet" page for each turbot and at the end is a subheading
          called "lessons learned"

          very useful to learn form others mistakes and accomplishments i may
          add.

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@...> wrote:

          > Hi.
          > I need so helpfull advise.
          > I'm working with a turbot, I'm building the boddy first.
          > I was wondering, what is the BEST circuit for a solar turbot?
          > this will be 5" wide or so & triangle in shape.
          > the Idea is to build a solar powered robot that I will take with me
          > wherever we go this year and take pictures of it or videos of it in
          the
          > cool places I'll be going to. I thought a Turbot would look the
          coolest
          > and would all so be the toughest thing I could build.
          > But, what circuit to use, bicore or latching?
          > Can I solarize a Bicore turbot?and will I need two millers or just
          one?
          > I like that it reverses if it gets hung up on something.
          > thank you for the help in advance.
          > jab

        • jabmechtech
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2008
            thanks Jesse. I think, after looking over JWG's turbots (all of them)
            and reading all of his notes, I'm going with the 'Latching Bicore'
            or 'Scuff'. only make it bigger and triangular. I'm using the same
            motors as his 'Sarah' turbot is using.
            thanks
            Jab

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
              Jabmechtech wrote:
              > I was wondering, what is the BEST circuit for a solar turbot?

              I am late to the party on this one. I agree with your call. It would
              be the Solar Turbot Latch that we used on Scuff. This is the best
              solar-powered light-tracking circuit that we have tried.

              Incidentally, the Solar Turbot Latch works on the same principle as
              the Solarbotics Turbot kit. If you are making the robot a triangle,
              then look at the Solarbotics kit to see where to place the light
              sensors.

              I will be watching and waiting for your photos and videos,
              Jabmechtech. I have been following your progression of robots and
              really like the way you handle the aesthetics.

              Best of luck,

              J Wolfgang Goerlich

              Related Links:

              Solar Turbot Latch
              http://jwgoerlich.solarbotics.net/robots/scuff/circuit.htm

              Kit #15 - The Turbot Tumbling Robot
              http://www.solarbotics.com/products/k_tb/
            • Jesse
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
                Hey, J Wolfgang, what are your commens on bidirectional turbot v2.3
                cct? how well did it work?

                what about Tumbler nervous net? the one that has the bicore heartbeat,
                nu- decision maker and then the '240 XOR multiplexer?

                thx
                ttyl
                Ps: I like how your website has documented turbots and other projects
                so well. What have you built lately?

                Jesse
              • jabmechtech
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
                  thank you Wolfgang. I have most of it done. but when testing it with
                  the batteys the right motor dose not turn. it might be how I have it
                  wired. I conected Right motor + to Left motor - then from there to
                  Pin 16.
                  should I run both motor's wires to Pin 16, insted of connecting the
                  motors to gether?
                  Here is what it will or dose look like for now.;)

                  Thanks for the solarbotics turbot link that dose help.
                  jabmechtech

                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "J Wolfgang Goerlich" <jwgoerlich@...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 21, 2008
                    Hello Jesse,

                    > what are your commens on bidirectional turbot v2.3 cct?

                    It was a neat idea and my hats off to Ori Barbut for developing it. It
                    could have been the tilt sensors we used, but I found tilt sensors
                    unreliably detected up and down. Also, using photodiodes has an
                    additional benefit. When the Turbot is perpendicular to the ground, if
                    using a photodiode voltage divider, it will "see" up as whichever side
                    is facing more light. This makes the Turbot more accurate.

                    > what about Tumbler nervous net?

                    Tumbler came out of a writing project Tom Gray and I worked on. The
                    goal was to show how to use Nv Net elements to build robots. Tumbler
                    works on the same principle as the solar Turbot latch, though it is of
                    course has more pieces.

                    The Tumbler circuit works well, though the Fish Hook mechanics left
                    much to be desired. Best to use this circuit in a triangle body (Sarah)
                    or a circular body with 180-degree offset motors (ABcore Charlie).

                    > What have you built lately?

                    We are not actively working on any projects. The email from Dave
                    Simmons made me smile, as it sounded a lot like Joe and I. We are
                    taking some time off.

                    But, stay tuned. Parts are waiting, robots are unfinished, and a
                    hundred designs wait jotted here and there. Plus my daughter is very
                    interested in building a robot garden. So this break will not be too
                    long.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 21, 2008
                      Hello jabmechtech,

                      > thank you Wolfgang. I have most of it done. but when testing it with
                      > the batteys the right motor dose not turn.

                      Are you toggling the battery power? The power has to go on and off, or
                      the circuit will stay latched. Once latched, whatever motor is turning
                      will continue to turn until the power is removed.

                      Neat!

                      J Wolfgang Goerlich
                    • jabmechtech
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 21, 2008
                        COOL, it works! I toggled the power and both motors turn.
                        Thank you.
                        Now to put it all together, and wait for some sun.;)