Re: New Cybug SolarFly

  • John O
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
      > How does it look??
      > Craig M

      Looks great I really love the aesthetics, The compound eye design on
      the circut board is a great touch and with the wings really make it
      look like a dragonfly.

      Do the wings shown come in the Kit?
    • wilf_nv
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2007
        Good news Craig!

        Great aesthetics and I like the changing behaviour depending on
        the "feeding" method. I would very much like to see the schematic
        for this and would be happy to provide some feedback.

        Wilf

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

        > It's been a busy ( but short ) summer. I had a chance to
        completely
        > re-design the chloroplast based Cybug SolarFly to create ( what
        else ) the
        > SolarFly 2! I thought this list might be interested in seeing it.
        > It's still based on the chloroplast, but uses the newer flexible
        solar cells
        > and has a very cool looky-feel. My favourite part of the kit is
        that it's a
        > BEAM Hybrid ( that's like a HYBRID car, mixing gas and electric
        power ). At
        > the flick of a switch the robot goes from a very active solar robot
        to a
        > run-around-the-floor-chasing-light-spots battery powered robot.
        It's also
        > less expensive than the previous version.
        > You can also replace the 4700uF cap on it's abdomen with a 1F
        supercap (get
        > your own cap ) and turn it into a phototropic speeder!
        > The wings are made of transparent plastic and there are a few styles
        > included in the kit. My favourite are the dragonfly.
        > I've made a video of it in action if you'd like to have a peek.
        I'll also
        > send you the schematics if you're interested.
        > Check it out at http://www.jcminventures.com/solarfly_2.htm .
        > How does it look??
        > Craig M

      • Craig Maynard
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2007
          Thanks very much, Wilf....

          I'd be pleased to gift you one so you can give an objective opinion to the
          list. ( schematic included. ) Consider it a prize for being the first to
          reply!

          Email me ( privately ) with your postal address and I'll fly over to you.

          craig@...

          Great aesthetics and I like the changing behaviour depending on
          the "feeding" method. I would very much like to see the schematic
          for this and would be happy to provide some feedback.

          Wilf

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

          > It's been a busy ( but short ) summer. I had a chance to
          completely
          > re-design the chloroplast based Cybug SolarFly to create ( what
          else ) the
          > SolarFly 2! I thought this list might be interested in seeing it.
          > It's still based on the chloroplast, but uses the newer flexible
          solar cells
          > and has a very cool looky-feel. My favourite part of the kit is
          that it's a
          > BEAM Hybrid ( that's like a HYBRID car, mixing gas and electric
          power ). At
          > the flick of a switch the robot goes from a very active solar robot
          to a
          > run-around-the-floor-chasing-light-spots battery powered robot.
          It's also
          > less expensive than the previous version.
          > You can also replace the 4700uF cap on it's abdomen with a 1F
          supercap (get
          > your own cap ) and turn it into a phototropic speeder!
          > The wings are made of transparent plastic and there are a few styles
          > included in the kit. My favourite are the dragonfly.
          > I've made a video of it in action if you'd like to have a peek.
          I'll also
          > send you the schematics if you're interested.
          > Check it out at http://www.jcminventures.com/solarfly_2.htm .
          > How does it look??
          > Craig M

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Harold
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2007
            Wow! Hurray to Wilf! Nice prize! Man, I should have replied first,
            hehe! Anyways, yes...we all want to see the schematic of the new
            cybug solarfly. Very nice-looking robotic creature and a cool
            behavior, Craig! 'Hope to see it in action. Keep up the good work.
            And thanks for sharing it. ;)

            ...Harold.

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

            > Thanks very much, Wilf....
            >
            > I'd be pleased to gift you one so you can give an objective opinion
            to the
            > list. ( schematic included. ) Consider it a prize for being the
            first to
            > reply!
            >
            > Email me ( privately ) with your postal address and I'll fly over
            to you.

            > craig@...

            Of
            > wilf_nv
            > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 4:12 PM
            > To: beam@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [personal] [beam] Re: New Cybug SolarFly
            >
            > Good news Craig!
            >
            > Great aesthetics and I like the changing behaviour depending on
            > the "feeding" method. I would very much like to see the schematic
            > for this and would be happy to provide some feedback.
            >
            > Wilf
            >

            > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It's been a busy ( but short ) summer. I had a chance to
            > completely
            > > re-design the chloroplast based Cybug SolarFly to create ( what
            > else ) the
            > > SolarFly 2! I thought this list might be interested in seeing it.
            > > It's still based on the chloroplast, but uses the newer flexible
            > solar cells
            > > and has a very cool looky-feel. My favourite part of the kit is
            > that it's a
            > > BEAM Hybrid ( that's like a HYBRID car, mixing gas and electric
            > power ). At
            > > the flick of a switch the robot goes from a very active solar
            robot
            > to a
            > > run-around-the-floor-chasing-light-spots battery powered robot.
            > It's also
            > > less expensive than the previous version.
            > > You can also replace the 4700uF cap on it's abdomen with a 1F
            > supercap (get
            > > your own cap ) and turn it into a phototropic speeder!
            > > The wings are made of transparent plastic and there are a few
            styles
            > > included in the kit. My favourite are the dragonfly.
            > > I've made a video of it in action if you'd like to have a peek.
            > I'll also
            > > send you the schematics if you're interested.
            > > Check it out at http://www.jcminventures.com/solarfly_2.htm .
            > > How does it look??
            > > Craig M
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Craig Maynard
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007
              Thanks, Harold! The schematic for the New Solarfly is at
              http://www.jcminventures.com/images/sf_schem.gif , if you'd like a peek. (
              very much like the original SolarFly.

              Craig

              Wow! Hurray to Wilf! Nice prize! Man, I should have replied first,
              hehe! Anyways, yes...we all want to see the schematic of the new
              cybug solarfly. Very nice-looking robotic creature and a cool
              behavior, Craig! 'Hope to see it in action. Keep up the good work.
              And thanks for sharing it. ;)

              ...Harold.

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

              > Thanks very much, Wilf....
              >
              > I'd be pleased to gift you one so you can give an objective opinion
              to the
              > list. ( schematic included. ) Consider it a prize for being the
              first to
              > reply!
              >
              > Email me ( privately ) with your postal address and I'll fly over
              to you.

              > craig@...

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Harold
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007
                Thanks a lot Craig! I really appreciate it. Yes, I better take a peek
                on the schematic. Nice work indeed! More power!

                ...Harold.

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, Harold! The schematic for the New Solarfly is at
                > http://www.jcminventures.com/images/sf_schem.gif , if you'd like a
                peek. (
                > very much like the original SolarFly.
                >
                > Craig

                Of Harold

              • wrigter@dccnet.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007
                  Hi Craig and Harold,

                  Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little but, based on the
                  schematic, I can already make one comment.

                  To slightly reduce complexity and cost and increase motor
                  power and efficiency by more than 75%, I suggest replacing
                  Q3 and R4 with two 1N4148 diodes wired with common cathode
                  to the 34164 output and with each anode connected to the
                  base or Q1 and Q2 respectively. In addition the emitters of
                  Q1/2 are directly connected to ground.

                  The cost savings may be small but the increased power that
                  results from removing the forward voltage drop of Q3 is not
                  negligible.

                  That amounts to about 1V more available across the motor
                  windings which increases motor voltage and current each by
                  30% and increases the motor power by 90% which should result
                  in more powerful pops and faster action.

                  Can't wait to prove out the theory.

                  Wilf

                • wrigter@dccnet.com

                    > Thanks, Harold! The schematic for the New Solarfly is
                    > at http://www.jcminventures.com/images/sf_schem.gif , if
                    > you'd like a peek. ( very much like the original
                    > SolarFly.
                    >
                    > Craig

                  • Craig Maynard
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007

                      Very cool, and unconventional modification ( this is a great list for the "unconventional" )

                      It looks like you plan to ground the two motor driver transistors bases through isolation diodes while the voltage monitor is off, clamping any signal from the op-amp brain.  When the voltage monitor floats ON ( its open collector ), it allows the op amps to turn on the appropriate motor driver transistor!

                      This could work well if the forward bias voltage on the 1n4148's is less than the B-E forward bias voltage of the two motor driving transistors.  If not, a third diode in series with the two emitters to ground would fix that problem. ( but re-add the voltage drop on the motors. )

                      Cewl...  I look forward to trying that!  It looks like an easy mod without having to adjust or cut traces.

                      Thanks, Wilf...

                      Craig

                      > Thanks, Harold!     The schematic for the New Solarfly is

                      > at http://www.jcminventures.com/images/sf_schem.gif  , if

                      > you'd like a peek.  ( very much like the original

                      > SolarFly.

                      > Craig

                      Consider it a prize for

                      > being the  first to

                      > reply!

                      > Email me ( privately ) with your postal address and I'll

                      > fly over  to you.

                      > craig@...

                      style='mso-spacerun:yes'>   I had a

                      > chance to  completely

                      > > re-design the chloroplast based Cybug SolarFly to

                      > create ( what  else ) the

                      > > SolarFly 2!  I thought
                      this list might be interested

                      > > in seeing it. It's still based on the chloroplast, but

                      > uses the newer flexible  solar
                      cells

                      > > and has a very cool looky-feel.
                      My favourite part of

                      > the kit is  that it's a

                      > > BEAM Hybrid ( that's like a HYBRID car, mixing gas and

                      > electric  power ).
                      style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  At

                      > > the flick of a switch the robot goes from a very

                      > active solar  robot

                      > to a

                      > > run-around-the-floor-chasing-light-spots battery

                      > powered robot.   It's also

                      > > less expensive than the previous version.

                      > > You can also replace the 4700uF cap on it's abdomen

                      > with a 1F  supercap (get

                      > > your own cap ) and turn it into a phototropic speeder!

                      > > The wings are made of transparent plastic and there

                      > are a few  styles

                      > > included in the kit.  My
                      favourite are the dragonfly.

                      > > I've made a video of it in action if you'd like to

                      > have a peek.   I'll also

                      > > send you the schematics if you're interested.

                      > > Check it out at

                      > > http://www.jcminventures.com/solarfly_2.htm . How does

                      > > it look?? Craig M

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> Your email settings:

                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:

                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:

                          mailto:beam-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          mailto:beam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Harold
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007
                        Thanks Wilf for the nice mod! This adds to my documentation for this
                        type of bot. And thanks to you Craig for the new cybug solarfly
                        schematic. I appreciate it guys! Take care and more power! :)

                        ...Harold.

                        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "wrigter@..." <wrigter@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Craig and Harold,
                        >
                        > Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little but, based on the
                        > schematic, I can already make one comment.
                        >
                        > To slightly reduce complexity and cost and increase motor
                        > power and efficiency by more than 75%, I suggest replacing
                        > Q3 and R4 with two 1N4148 diodes wired with common cathode
                        > to the 34164 output and with each anode connected to the
                        > base or Q1 and Q2 respectively. In addition the emitters of
                        > Q1/2 are directly connected to ground.
                        >
                        > The cost savings may be small but the increased power that
                        > results from removing the forward voltage drop of Q3 is not
                        > negligible.
                        >
                        > That amounts to about 1V more available across the motor
                        > windings which increases motor voltage and current each by
                        > 30% and increases the motor power by 90% which should result
                        > in more powerful pops and faster action.
                        >
                        > Can't wait to prove out the theory.
                        >
                        > Wilf

                      • wilf_nv
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007
                          Hi Craig,

                          Just one diode drop is required to clamp the base of a Darlington
                          transitor since it has an inherent Vbe turn on of two diode drops.

                          Also note that the leakage current through the 100K base resistors
                          during solar charging is the same as the leakage current through R4
                          in the original circuit.

                        • wilf_nv
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007
                            Hi Craig,

                            I have modified your schematic to show the proposed changes

                            http://www.user.dccnet.com/wrigter/Solar%20Fly/sf2_schem.gif

                            Next some minimal reversing circuit.

                            best

                            wilf

                            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "wilf_nv" <wrigter@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Craig,
                            >
                            > Just one diode drop is required to clamp the base of a Darlington
                            > transitor since it has an inherent Vbe turn on of two diode drops.
                            >
                            > Also note that the leakage current through the 100K base resistors
                            > during solar charging is the same as the leakage current through R4
                            > in the original circuit.
                            >
                            > wilf
                            >
                            > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Very cool, and unconventional modification ( this is a great list
                            > for the
                            > > "unconventional" )
                            > >
                            > > It looks like you plan to ground the two motor driver transistors
                            > bases
                            > > through isolation diodes while the voltage monitor is off,
                            clamping
                            > any
                            > > signal from the op-amp brain. When the voltage monitor floats ON
                            (
                            > its open
                            > > collector ), it allows the op amps to turn on the appropriate
                            motor
                            > driver
                            > > transistor!
                            > >
                            > > This could work well if the forward bias voltage on the 1n4148's
                            is
                            > less
                            > > than the B-E forward bias voltage of the two motor driving
                            > transistors. If
                            > > not, a third diode in series with the two emitters to ground
                            would
                            > fix that
                            > > problem. ( but re-add the voltage drop on the motors. )
                            > >
                            > > Cewl... I look forward to trying that! It looks like an easy
                            mod
                            > without
                            > > having to adjust or cut traces.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks, Wilf...
                            > >
                            > > Craig

                          • Craig Maynard
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 6, 2007
                              Oh, right! I used darlingtons ( in spite of the schematic symbol I show )!
                              2 transistors = 2 Vbe ! ( brilliant )

                              Thanks, Wilf

                              Just one diode drop is required to clamp the base of a Darlington
                              transitor since it has an inherent Vbe turn on of two diode drops.

                              Also note that the leakage current through the 100K base resistors
                              during solar charging is the same as the leakage current through R4
                              in the original circuit.

                              wilf

                              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

                              > Very cool, and unconventional modification ( this is a great list
                              for the
                              > "unconventional" )
                              >
                              > It looks like you plan to ground the two motor driver transistors
                              bases
                              > through isolation diodes while the voltage monitor is off, clamping
                              any
                              > signal from the op-amp brain. When the voltage monitor floats ON (
                              its open
                              > collector ), it allows the op amps to turn on the appropriate motor
                              driver
                              > transistor!
                              >
                              > This could work well if the forward bias voltage on the 1n4148's is
                              less
                              > than the B-E forward bias voltage of the two motor driving
                              transistors. If
                              > not, a third diode in series with the two emitters to ground would
                              fix that
                              > problem. ( but re-add the voltage drop on the motors. )
                              >
                              > Cewl... I look forward to trying that! It looks like an easy mod
                              without
                              > having to adjust or cut traces.
                              >
                              > Thanks, Wilf...
                              >
                              > Craig

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • wilf_nv
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 23, 2007
                                Hello everyone,

                                I received my SolarFly2 earlier this week from Craig at JCM
                                InVentures. The kit came in a sturdy box, the parts nicely
                                organized, the documentation is good but with had some minor errors
                                and omissions.
                                This weekend I found some free time and it took me a few hours to
                                complet the project. The kit assembly and soldering went without a
                                hitch due to the quality PCB , solder mask and parts silkscreening
                                and I am happy to report it works very well.

                                For novices, the 14pin IC outline shown in the documentation
                                (instead of 8 pin) could be confusing. Describing the soldering and
                                support of the solar cell in more detail could save some grief. The
                                simple but interesting tactile feelers are also not shown in the
                                schematic. One pet peeve are hot glue disc wheels that are supplied
                                without a mounting hole. A production jig to predrill the discs with
                                a properly sized and centered mounting holes would avoid
                                the "wobblies" caused by users having to freehand punch the mounting
                                hole themselves using a soldering iron or hot needle.

                                The good news is that the SolarFly worked well without wheel on the
                                smooth table top just using the motor shafts. I found that without
                                the battery clips installed, I could bend the C1 storage cap to the
                                rear to provide the needed third sliding support point.

                                The motor mounting for the SolarFly2 is clever and worked
                                flawlessly. Resist temptation and leave the motor terminal PCBs
                                attached to the body PCB to keep everything in alignment during
                                soldering. I laid down two narrow sorder ridges with a groove between
                                on each solder pad to center the pretinned the ends of the 3/8"
                                mounting wires. Applying heat from the soldering iron tip to the wire
                                to reflow the solder and bonds the wire to the pad. Make sure that
                                the solder completely wicks over the entire solder pad and around
                                the heavy copper wire since these wires will be twisted later to
                                adjust the motor angle.

                                This is really step one of a number of experiments to learn how well
                                this design works and try to add some improvements. So I opted to
                                test the solar power mode first, leaving off the battery clips and
                                battery and installed the C2/C3 photo sensor memory caps. I also left
                                off the wings off for now which would get in the way of testing over
                                the next few days.

                                The FireFly solar circuit works well even in weak Sept sunshine here
                                on the 49th parallel, popping at a rate of several times per second,
                                sending the SolarFly on its mission to find the edge of its world (
                                the table top) and the great white light beyond. The circuit design
                                is of particular interest to the likes of me.

                                The two LED sensors act as log photovoltaic cells that top out at
                                about 2V with an output current of less than 1 uA. This high
                                internal resistance of the sensors together with C2/C3 filter caps
                                slows the sesnsor response and acts as a memory cap for the feelers.
                                This high internal resistance requires a FET opamp which has
                                virtually zero input leakage current and which, in the case of the
                                27L2C supplied, also uses less supply current compared to a LM358
                                opamp. To make light sensing more directional, I found it necesary
                                for the LEDs to be shielded from incident light on the sides and
                                rear. The Chloroplast Solar Engine is facinating and versatile. The
                                three pin voltage trigger chip has a nominal 2.7v switching level but
                                adding R3 -100K resistor, changes the threshold for the Solar Engine
                                to switch on to 4.3V and to turn off at 2.8V. This large hysteresis
                                (difference) voltage between trigger and reset is just right for this
                                circuit using the 6V solar cell and a 4700uF storage cap. The reason
                                fhe threshold are changed is the drop in the MC34164 powersupply
                                current from 160uA to 10uA. The voltage drop across R3 caused by
                                this supply current plus the nominal threhold level sets the SE
                                switching points. The formula for determining these levels is:

                                Fire at (160uAx100k) + 2.7V = 4.3V
                                Reset at (10uA x100k)+2.7V = 2.8V

                                You can play with other R3 resistor values to optimize SE performance.

                                After evaluating the SolarFly2 with the existing circuit, I will be
                                testing several circuit variations:

                                1)The diode enable method to replace Q1 avoiding the extra voltage
                                drop.

                                2)A mod to operate two motors at the same time when the light is
                                balanced.

                                3)A mod to automatically switch between solar and battery mode in low
                                light to bridge shadows.

                                4)A battery powered popping mode to conserve battery power.

                                5)A switch to unconditionally disable the FireFly circuit to avoid it
                                exploring the wild blue yonder in a moment of unsupervised solar
                                feeding.

                                6)Can a reversing circuit be far behind?

                                The story continues

                              • Craig Maynard
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 23, 2007
                                  Thanks for the evaluation, Wilf... You know, it's strange because I've
                                  taken a break from my studies of industrial robot arms ( I've moved from
                                  teaching computer engineering to a robotics and automation instructor at
                                  SAIT and am riding the learning curve ) today to try out your diode
                                  modification from a previous thread. Just as I completed my tests, there
                                  was your posting!

                                  The good news is that the diode mod worked very well! The typical V-on
                                  trigger was reduced from 4.45V down to 4.25V making the pops faster and
                                  better in grey skys.

                                  The down side is that the V-off voltage stayed the same as the unmodified
                                  circuit ( of course ) at about 3.46 volts.

                                  The net effect of your mod, Wilf, is to reduce the amount of light required
                                  for a pop, but reduce the size of said pop from about 1V hysterisis to about
                                  .8V. Still, you get more pops/sec. A great trade-off.

                                  Further, the modification is very easy to do on the existing circuit board
                                  by removing transistor Q3 and resistor R4 and adding the 2 signal diodes to
                                  the base hole of Q3 to the bases of Q1 and Q2. Also, jumper the collector
                                  to emitter of Q3 to complete the motors ground path. It still maintains the
                                  symmetry of the solarfly which is important for the A (aesthetic) part of
                                  BEAM.

                                  I agree completely about the hot-glue stick wheels. I use them on too many
                                  of my kits ( that's how I keep the prices down ) but you have to have a
                                  steady hand to get the shafts centered. Does anyone know of a large source
                                  of rubber wheels with center punched holes which are reasonable?

                                  I look forward to hearing about your experiments Wilf.

                                  I also hope to see some BEAM'ers from Calgary to come to our weekly robot
                                  society meetings at the Aerospace musem on Saturday mornings ( 10am -12 ).

                                  Craig M
                                  JCM InVentures Inc

> [...]

                                  testing several circuit variations:

                                  1)The diode enable method to replace Q1 avoiding the extra voltage
                                  drop.

                                  2)A mod to operate two motors at the same time when the light is
                                  balanced.

                                  3)A mod to automatically switch between solar and battery mode in low
                                  light to bridge shadows.

                                  4)A battery powered popping mode to conserve battery power.

                                  5)A switch to unconditionally disable the FireFly circuit to avoid it
                                  exploring the wild blue yonder in a moment of unsupervised solar
                                  feeding.

                                  6)Can a reversing circuit be far behind?

                                  The story continues

                                  wilf

                                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

                                  > Oh, right! I used darlingtons ( in spite of the schematic symbol I

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • wilf_nv
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 24, 2007
                                    Hi Craig,

                                    I confirmed with my scope that the upper and lower thresholds for the
                                    solar engine are 4.44V and 3.44V.

                                    The diode enable mod and bypass of Q1 which I proposed for the motor
                                    driver circuit should not significantly affect the thresholds. This
                                    mod will make the motor driver more efficient and increase the
                                    voltage across to the motor windings during each pop from a lowly
                                    2.8V to a healthier 3.6V. So the popping frequency should remain the
                                    same but each pop will be more powerful. I will confirm those
                                    asumptions next time the sun comes out.

                                  • wilf
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 26, 2007
                                      Hi Craig,

                                      I was intrigued by the difference in our measurements of the trigger and reset voltages I measured mine with the min/max function on a  DVM.  The numbers seemed to corelate with the voltage drops accross R3 caused by the MC34164 supply current variations given in the datasheet. After putting it on the scope I see now that the lower reset reading I got was caused by a voltage transient caused by the turnoff of the motor.

                                      The new readings I got from my scope for the minimum (reset) and maximum (trigger) voltage on the storage cap were 3.44V and 4.44V respectively. It appears that the actual supply currents for the MC34164-3 when triggered,  is about 80uA which is significantly higher than the 10uA indicated by the datasheet and this accounts for the higher measured reset voltage.

                                      The mod I suggested using two diodes to enable Q2 and Q3 should not significantly affect the SE trigger and reset voltages.  These diodes will reduce voltage losses in the motor driver stage.

                                      I measured the voltage across the motor when the SE fired and found it was  2.68V maximum . That means 1.76V  is dropped across the two series connected darlington driver transistors. If Q1 can be replaced with a direct connection to gnd the voltage we can reduce this drop by half or some 0.88V . That means the voltage  across the motor should rise to 3.56V which translates into more mechanical kick per unit solar energy.

                                      Wilf.

> [...]

                                      testing several circuit variations:

                                      1)The diode enable method to replace Q1 avoiding the extra voltage
                                      drop.

                                      2)A mod to operate two motors at the same time when the light is
                                      balanced.

                                      3)A mod to automatically switch between solar and battery mode in low
                                      light to bridge shadows.

                                      4)A battery powered popping mode to conserve battery power.

                                      5)A switch to unconditionally disable the FireFly circuit to avoid it
                                      exploring the wild blue yonder in a moment of unsupervised solar
                                      feeding.

                                      6)Can a reversing circuit be far behind?

                                      The story continues

                                      wilf

                                      --- In beam@yahoogroups. com, Craig Maynard <craig@...> wrote:

                                      > Oh, right! I used darlingtons ( in spite of the schematic symbol I

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • dbhnewton
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 27, 2007
                                        "Does anyone know of a large source
                                        of rubber wheels with center punched holes which are reasonable?"

                                        For small wheels have you ever tried rubber (tap/faucet) washers? Certainly here in the UK we have lots of diff sizes from 3/8" up to just over 1" some with holes some without but even the ones without have a 'pip' in the centre thereby making axle insertion a much less 'approximate' affair. Cost is literally pennies too.

                                        David