Files added to Seleno Folder

  • Cliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      If anyone is interested, I have added some things to the Seleno folder
      in the file section.

      The main additions are three patents describing the Orientation
      Mechanism that is the basis of Seleno. One of the circuits described
      is what can properly be referred to as an early BEAM-like Head

      Enjoy,
      Cliff
      AKA Droidmakr
    • Joseph Charles
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        Thanks, Cliff. Very interesting.

        Jo

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <droidmakr@...> wrote:

        > If anyone is interested, I have added some things to the Seleno folder
        > in the file section.
        >
        > The main additions are three patents describing the Orientation
        > Mechanism that is the basis of Seleno. One of the circuits described
        > is what can properly be referred to as an early BEAM-like Head
        >
        > Enjoy,
        > Cliff
        > AKA Droidmakr

      • wilf_nv
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
          Thanks Cliff!

          I had never seen these examples of early BEAM like electronic
          systems. There were almost certainly mechanincal wind, hydraulic and
          steam powered versions to control the "heading" of, for example, a
          windmill or a boat pointed into the wind or as "governors" to
          maintain constant speed or timing.

          It should be an interesting challenge to convert these patents to
          exact functional equivalent working model beam designs. The relays,
          including the bistable type, are still available although these
          original ones must heve been very sensitive. The photo sensitive
          circuits use selenium solar cells for optical sensors. These obsolete
          solar cells are occasionally found in old moving coil type light
          meters used in photography. Selenium was also used in early diode
          rectifiers. The modern solar cells and diodes are much more efficient.

          The RF sensitive circuits are proximity detectors probably operating
          in the KHz range, similar to metal detector circuits.

          I will try my hand at converting one or two and report back.

          Should do a search for pictures of working prototypes of these
          designs.

          Thanks again Cliff,

          Wilf

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <droidmakr@...> wrote:

          > If anyone is interested, I have added some things to the Seleno
          folder
          > in the file section.
          >
          > The main additions are three patents describing the Orientation
          > Mechanism that is the basis of Seleno. One of the circuits
          described
          > is what can properly be referred to as an early BEAM-like Head
          >
          > Enjoy,
          > Cliff
          > AKA Droidmakr

        • Cliff
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
            Glad you enjoyed the items I added to the folder. I am fascinated by
            some of the early robotic mechanisms I have learned about. Seleno
            seems to be the earliest device actually built that could be
            considered a robot. At least a freely functioning (I am not sure the
            word autonomous applies) robot.

            The picture I added let's us see just a little bit more detail than
            does the first one I posted. I am always on the look-out for more
            information and will share it as I find it.

            I may build a working model of Seleno and a head based on the
            patents as well. I actually had two or three Selenium photocells
            (and a couple of selenium rectifiers) back when I was a kid. Sadly,
            they were all lost while moving many many years ago. It would be
            nice to have them now for this project, but I will just make do with
            what I have available.

            Just a note, In last months issue of Servo magazine one of the
            articles recommended searching patents to find and stimulate ideas
            that can be incorporated into our robots. I gave it A try and along
            with the patents that I posted to the folder, I have found some
            great stuff. It is very interesting to see how some things were
            accomplished back before the age of digital electronics and micro-
            processors.

            Google has a very good patent search capability at:

            http://www.google.com/patents

            for more advanced searches use:

            http://www.google.com/advanced_patent_search

            You can also sign up to use:

            http://www.freepatentsonline.com/

            Amongst the items I have found patents either for, or related too,
            are such things as:

            Electronic Neurons

            Motor controllers including Back EMF Motor Speed Controllers

            A variety of Sensors, Actuators and useful Mechanisms

            As well as:

            Sony's Aibo

            I-Cybie

            Capsela Motorize Building System

            And items of fun interest like:

            Rock'em Sock'em Robots

            Mr. Machine

            I even found the patents for the general appearance of R2D2 and C3PO

            Give it a try for yourself and see what you can find

            So long,
            Cliff