Re: Resistor-Capacitor

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hello Jing! The answer is, either of the two components. But in my
      opinion, you can just change the resistor values and not the caps. You
      can also use IC pin sockets (like what I always do), to easily change
      or adjust the resistor values, just like plug and play. Goodluck!

      ...Harold.

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Groups,
      >
      > Got a question. What component influences the time of the
      reverser?
      > is it the resistor or the capacitor? i want to make the dozer bot
      turn
      > 180 degrees when it triggers the reverser.
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > Jing

    • jing.alcantara
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
        Hi Harold,

        Im using a 10uf caps and 100k resistor and it gives me about 2
        sec. of reverse. Do i need to replace the resistor with a higher or
        lower value to make the bot reverse longer?

        regards,

        Jing

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <harold.ilano@...> wrote:

        > Hello Jing! The answer is, either of the two components. But in my
        > opinion, you can just change the resistor values and not the caps.
        You
        > can also use IC pin sockets (like what I always do), to easily
        change
        > or adjust the resistor values, just like plug and play. Goodluck!
        >
        > ...Harold.
        >
        > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi Groups,
        > >
        > > Got a question. What component influences the time of the
        > reverser?
        > > is it the resistor or the capacitor? i want to make the dozer bot
        > turn
        > > 180 degrees when it triggers the reverser.
        > >
        > > regards,
        > >
        > > Jing

      • Harold
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
          Oh, sorry Jing, I just finished some house chores here. But anyways...

          Yes, just replace the resistors. For longer reverse time, increase
          the value of the resistor. Try 1 meg. The higher the values of the
          resistor, the longer the reverse time. The lower the value, the
          shorter time. Keep it up buddy. :)

          wrote:

          > Hi Harold,
          >
          > Im using a 10uf caps and 100k resistor and it gives me about 2
          > sec. of reverse. Do i need to replace the resistor with a higher or
          > lower value to make the bot reverse longer?
          >
          > regards,
          >
          > Jing
          >
          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <harold.ilano@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Jing! The answer is, either of the two components. But in
          my
          > > opinion, you can just change the resistor values and not the
          caps.
          > You
          > > can also use IC pin sockets (like what I always do), to easily
          > change
          > > or adjust the resistor values, just like plug and play. Goodluck!
          > >
          > > ...Harold.
          > >
          > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi Groups,
          > > >
          > > > Got a question. What component influences the time of the
          > > reverser?
          > > > is it the resistor or the capacitor? i want to make the dozer
          bot
          > > turn
          > > > 180 degrees when it triggers the reverser.
          > > >
          > > > regards,
          > > >
          > > > Jing

        • jing.alcantara
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
            ok, i got it. the higher the values of both component, the longer
            the time in reverse.

            wrote:

            > Hi Harold,
            >
            > Im using a 10uf caps and 100k resistor and it gives me about 2
            > sec. of reverse. Do i need to replace the resistor with a higher or
            > lower value to make the bot reverse longer?
            >
            > regards,
            >
            > Jing
            >
            > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <harold.ilano@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Jing! The answer is, either of the two components. But in
            my
            > > opinion, you can just change the resistor values and not the
            caps.
            > You
            > > can also use IC pin sockets (like what I always do), to easily
            > change
            > > or adjust the resistor values, just like plug and play. Goodluck!
            > >
            > > ...Harold.
            > >
            > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hi Groups,
            > > >
            > > > Got a question. What component influences the time of the
            > > reverser?
            > > > is it the resistor or the capacitor? i want to make the dozer
            bot
            > > turn
            > > > 180 degrees when it triggers the reverser.
            > > >
            > > > regards,
            > > >
            > > > Jing

          • Harold
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
              You got it right bro!

              wrote:

              > ok, i got it. the higher the values of both component, the
              longer
              > the time in reverse.
              >

              > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi Harold,
              > >
              > > Im using a 10uf caps and 100k resistor and it gives me about
              2
              > > sec. of reverse. Do i need to replace the resistor with a higher
              or
              > > lower value to make the bot reverse longer?
              > >
              > > regards,
              > >
              > > Jing
              > >
              > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <harold.ilano@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello Jing! The answer is, either of the two components. But in
              > my
              > > > opinion, you can just change the resistor values and not the
              > caps.
              > > You
              > > > can also use IC pin sockets (like what I always do), to easily
              > > change
              > > > or adjust the resistor values, just like plug and play.
              Goodluck!

              > > > ...Harold.
              > > >
              > > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@>

              > > > reverser?
              > bot
              > > > turn

            • JIM
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
                I don't know if your familiar with this already but there's a simple
                formula that can help you here: T=RC or T
                ---

                The second ones a triangle to help make it easier to transpose the
                formula. So looking at the triangle the formula for this application
                would be R= T/C
                T is in Seconds.
                R is in Ohms.
                C is in Farads.

                Hope this helps for the future.

                Jim
              • jing.alcantara
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2007
                  Thanks Jim. I might as well read up on the other equations.

                  regards,

                  Jing

                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "JIM" <lightninjim1@...> wrote:

                  > I don't know if your familiar with this already but there's a
                  simple
                  > formula that can help you here: T=RC or T
                  > ---
                  >
                  > The second ones a triangle to help make it easier to transpose the
                  > formula. So looking at the triangle the formula for this
                  application
                  > would be R= T/C
                  > T is in Seconds.
                  > R is in Ohms.
                  > C is in Farads.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps for the future.
                  >
                  > Jim

                • JIM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2007
                    If all you plan to do is build BEAM type circuits you don't need to go
                    too far understanding the basic equations can help a lot.
                    A quick google led me to this site:
                    http://www.hobbyprojects.com/electronic_formula.html
                    Hope its helpful

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2007
                      ok, i got it. i was able to calculate the value of the resistor
                      with respect to the time needed to reverse the circuit by using the
                      formula. thanks.