Off topic: Havoc Heli, reminiscences

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2007
      Been lurking for a while. Have never seen Dr. Who (my loss, I guess)...

      Wal-Mart has the Air Hogs Havoc Heli on for $29.99 CAD so bought one
      for me and each of my sons. These little indoor helicopters are a
      blast - run on pulsed IR rather than RC. The choppers weigh only a
      few grams and contain the tiniest little pager-type motors and a bitty
      3.7V LiPo battery! The copters are so light that they suffer little
      damage when flying into walls etc but eventually they'll splat and
      I've asked the boys to send me all the pieces...

      Some time ago I mentioned a reset device consisting of a Nu+ and a Nv-
      in series. We had the prototype hooked up for two weeks with no resets
      and the IT manager finally said, "Just go ahead and build them."
      Three days after I removed the prototype, the system had its first
      error in at least four weeks. Ironic. Anyway, I am building them
      into cases now.

      I have been playing with digital timers (a project carried forward
      from the mid 70s when building a house and having children somehow
      interfered with hobbies for a while). My largest breadboard is covered
      with clocks, counters, a flip-flop, 7-segment display drivers, and
      some icky old surplus 7-seg displays (I got these from the old J & J
      Electronics in Winnipeg and have had them for thirty years. I have
      better ones but wanted to do this project with the old junk!)

      Am collaborating with my middle son to redo his minesweeper for next
      year's Western Canadian Robot Games. He has all the electronic/
      computer/ programming/ sensor stuff worked out, but the mechanics on
      his bot suck (his words) so I offered to make a new chassis and drive
      system for him (I need projects for my new Sherline mill)....

      Keep BEAMing and dreaming
      Tom
    • Joseph Charles
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007