FullSpeed Dozer

  • jabmechtech
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 10:57 PM
      Hi.
      Thanks Jo, Wilf and Jim.
      I gave it a go. don't know if it's right.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
      Thanks for the circuit and the great detail. This is how I see it.
      If this is right I'll build it(thats the part I like and get).)
      I need sleep.
      jab
    • wilf rigter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
        Thanks for the layout description Jim. Lots of free drawing programs around if you're interested.
        Jab you beat me to it. Yours looks fine but from the exercise of laying out the components around the chip, it seem  there may be a better choice of pin numbers as shown in the uploaded circuit /layout diagram. How well this circuit will  work for you  will depend on the motors which should have a winding resistance of about  30ohms

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "wilf rigter" <wrigter@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the layout description Jim. Lots of free drawing
          programs around if you're interested.
          > Jab you beat me to it. Yours looks fine but from the exercise of
          laying out the components around the chip, it seem there may be a
          better choice of pin numbers as shown in the uploaded circuit /layout
          diagram. How well this circuit will work for you will depend on the
          motors which should have a winding resistance of about 30ohms

          > wilf

          Hi.
          Now I see!
          Thanks I have learned alot from this project.
          I can't build this yet, I'm short on the part count. It seemed to
          keep climbing.:(
          I'm amazed at how manny diferant ways there is to tweek this IC and
          Dozer.
          You guys are awsume!
          Thank you for your time and sharing you ideas.
          I hope others will build these too.
          jabmechtech

        • Joseph Charles
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
            Hi Jab,

            I've actually come full circle on this.

            I noticed last night that the 74AC14 full-speed dozer seemed to need a
            fair difference in light levels on each of the PD's in order to react.
            If it went into a less well-lit part of the room, it basically became
            a bit 'visually impaired' and just chugged around, not reacting when I
            shaded a PD. I had to make one PD very much darker than the other one
            to get a reaction.

            I assume the largish hysteresis of the 74AC14 inputs, and the very
            high resistance of the PD bridge, when darkish, compared to the 10M
            oscillator resistor, may be at play here. (Could be wrong, though!)

            I swapped out the PD's for a pair of phototransistors, with current
            limiting 1k resistors (one for each PT), and the sensitivity was
            greatly improved.

            But I looked at the increasing parts count and thought, "Hmmm...".

            So I breadboarded the original 'waddle' bot (with reverse), and set it
            loose. I've decided I actually prefer the funny little movement of
            this version, and its sometimes unpredictable reactions, to the more
            'souped-up' versions.

            It think that Wilf's 74AC240 BullDozer circuit won't have the same
            insensitivity problems that my 74AC14 version had, so it might be fun
            to have a go at building that one.

            This also confirms why I like to use breadboards (and some sort of
            test base, too). You can chop and change a circuit, and try as many
            variations as you like, before settling on a final design.

            Jo

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@...> wrote:

            > I can't build this yet, I'm short on the part count. It seemed to
            > keep climbing.:(
          • jing.alcantara
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
              hi Jo,

              i just finished my mobile platform and hooked up my DOZER and guess
              what? it just sits there DOZING. i know it works cuz when i lift the
              base the motor runs so i guess i needed a motor driver. but i dont
              have the 74***245 chip, what i got is the 74ACT240. i tried googling
              for a circuit that uses this chip but my efforts turn futile. can you
              give me a schematic for a motor driver that uses the 74ACT240 chip.
              thanks again.

              jing

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

              > Hi Jab,
              >
              > I've actually come full circle on this.
              >
              > I noticed last night that the 74AC14 full-speed dozer seemed to
              need a
              > fair difference in light levels on each of the PD's in order to
              react.
              > If it went into a less well-lit part of the room, it basically
              became
              > a bit 'visually impaired' and just chugged around, not reacting
              when I
              > shaded a PD. I had to make one PD very much darker than the other
              one
              > to get a reaction.
              >
              > I assume the largish hysteresis of the 74AC14 inputs, and the very
              > high resistance of the PD bridge, when darkish, compared to the 10M
              > oscillator resistor, may be at play here. (Could be wrong, though!)
              >
              > I swapped out the PD's for a pair of phototransistors, with current
              > limiting 1k resistors (one for each PT), and the sensitivity was
              > greatly improved.
              >
              > But I looked at the increasing parts count and thought, "Hmmm...".
              >
              > So I breadboarded the original 'waddle' bot (with reverse), and set
              it
              > loose. I've decided I actually prefer the funny little movement of
              > this version, and its sometimes unpredictable reactions, to the more
              > 'souped-up' versions.
              >
              > It think that Wilf's 74AC240 BullDozer circuit won't have the same
              > insensitivity problems that my 74AC14 version had, so it might be
              fun
              > to have a go at building that one.
              >
              > This also confirms why I like to use breadboards (and some sort of
              > test base, too). You can chop and change a circuit, and try as many
              > variations as you like, before settling on a final design.
              >
              > Jo
              >

              > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@> wrote:
              >
              > > I can't build this yet, I'm short on the part count. It seemed to
              > > keep climbing.:(

            • jabmechtech
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

                > Hi Jab,
                >
                > I've actually come full circle on this.
                >
                > I noticed last night that the 74AC14 full-speed dozer seemed to
                need a
                > fair difference in light levels on each of the PD's in order to
                react.
                > If it went into a less well-lit part of the room, it basically
                became
                > a bit 'visually impaired' and just chugged around, not reacting
                when I
                > shaded a PD. I had to make one PD very much darker than the other
                one
                > to get a reaction.
                >
                > I assume the largish hysteresis of the 74AC14 inputs, and the very
                > high resistance of the PD bridge, when darkish, compared to the 10M
                > oscillator resistor, may be at play here. (Could be wrong, though!)
                >
                > I swapped out the PD's for a pair of phototransistors, with current
                > limiting 1k resistors (one for each PT), and the sensitivity was
                > greatly improved.
                >
                > But I looked at the increasing parts count and thought, "Hmmm...".
                >
                > So I breadboarded the original 'waddle' bot (with reverse), and set
                it
                > loose. I've decided I actually prefer the funny little movement of
                > this version, and its sometimes unpredictable reactions, to the more
                > 'souped-up' versions.
                >
                > It think that Wilf's 74AC240 BullDozer circuit won't have the same
                > insensitivity problems that my 74AC14 version had, so it might be
                fun
                > to have a go at building that one.
                >
                > This also confirms why I like to use breadboards (and some sort of
                > test base, too). You can chop and change a circuit, and try as many
                > variations as you like, before settling on a final design.
                >
                > Jo
                >
                > Hi Jo.
                I'll try swapping out the IR LEDs for PRs insted with the 1K
                resistorlike you did. But use the Motor drive circuit.I'll also have
                a go at the 2nd circuit with the 330ohm resistor and diode and single
                74hc14.
                Mine just spun in one direction unless I plased my hand almost on it
                to shade the eyes then it falowed my hand(like it was hungry for
                fingers) :).
                When I can get some more parts I'll build Wilfs BullDozer.
                Thank you. I have learned so much from this project and had a blast
                doing it. I'm sorry I still don't understand the bread board thing, I
                can't get stuff to work until I build(and Rebuild)it.
                Thanks.
                Jab