Photodiode question

  • jabmechtech
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2007
      Hi.
      What is the difeance/advantage/disadvantige(if any) between a Black
      photodiode and a clear one?
      I've looked up photoresistors, LRDs,CDS, and the like and read alot,
      but have not found an answer. please some one with first hand knowlage
      of this, can you help?
      Is one more light sensitive then the other?
      thanks.
      jabmechtech
    • wilf rigter
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2007
        The "black" lens is a filter that is transparent to Infra Red but blocks most visible light.  That makes the "black" photodiode respond strongly to light sources that contain near infra red like IR LEDs, the sun or incandescent lamps and reject light from cool sources like fluorescent lights. For detecting far infra red sources ie body heat, you must use a PIR sensor.  Check the photo diode data sheet for the sensitivity vs wavelength curve.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2007
          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "wilf rigter" <wrigter@...> wrote:

          > The "black" lens is a filter that is transparent to Infra Red but
          blocks most visible light. That makes the "black" photodiode respond
          strongly to light sources that contain near infra red like IR LEDs,
          the sun or incandescent lamps and reject light from cool sources like
          fluorescent lights. For detecting far infra red sources ie body heat,
          you must use a PIR sensor. Check the photo diode data sheet for the
          sensitivity vs wavelength curve.

          > wilf
          >
          > Thank you! I appreciate the help Wilf.
          Jab