Re: Introduction

  • jing.alcantara
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 7, 2007
      jp,

      looking forward to that pic so that i could have some ideas
      regarding those gearmotors. my wife's gonna kill me if she finds out
      how much i spent for the one and only servo motor that i have.
      regards.

      jing

      - In beam@yahoogroups.com, john paul yu <johnpaul_yu@...> wrote:

      > jing,
      >
      > About the toys, I made my own gearbox using the gears of the
      toys and a pcb as the housing. I'll send some pics of my walker in
      your mail so that you can have some idea and also beamarx also made
      his own gud lukin gearbox. But if you have money just buy servo and
      hack it(hassle free).

      jp
> [...]
      > help. we both live here in manila. gonna buy those chips at ALEXAN
      > MEGAMALL on saturday march 10. thanks for the info bro. you have
      > been a lot of help.
      >
      > jing
      >
      > -- In beam@yahoogroups.com, john paul yu <johnpaul_yu@> wrote:
      > >
      > > jing,
      > >
      > > Mahal talaga servo sa hobby shop. What i did is buy toys
      > with gear, thats include a battery holder and a motor(not
      > efficient). Then i would buy from electronic shop a VCD laser
      > assembly and thats include 2 efficient motors bought it for
      25pesos
      > each. I bought many rechargable battery from solarbotics 25C each.
      > thats cheap and a set of solar cell. you can browse their site.
      > >
      > > "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@> wrote:
      > > -
      > > yAH bro,
      > >
      > > nagtanong na ako sa ALEXAN. P56.50 ang 74ACT240 AT P38 ang
      > > 74HC240. kung alam ko lang noon eh di sinuyod ko na yon. sa RAON
      > ako
      > > napadpad dun din ako sa MEGAMALL bumili ng standard servo P425.
      > ikaw
      > > ano ang ginagamit mo na gearboxes? so far, i made only three
      bots.
      > > photovore, symet and jiggler. all battery powered. hard to
      source
      > > the solar cell. ALEXAN does not carry anymore of the cells. my
      > next
      > > project is a walker, gonna use the DUAL D FLIP FLOP schematic
      > > posted by wilf rigter, but my chip will be the CD4013BC. BTW im
      > from
      > > muntinlupa. thanks for the info bro. ASTIG ANG BEAM!
      > >
      > > -- In beam@yahoogroups.com, john paul yu <johnpaul_yu@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Jing,
      > > >
      > > > I'm also from the philippines in palawan. Well, if your near
      > > or have a relative in manila you can go to ALEXAN in megamall.
      > They
      > > have I think all of the IC you need except for monolithic
      > capacitor
      > > but you can always buy a subtitute. IC's includes, 74AC240,
      > 74HC14,
      > > LM386, LM555, CD4066, 74AC245, ETC. I myself too was at first
      > having
      > > problem about parts specially gear boxes. But through the help
      of
      > > fellow beamer and after visiting all electronic repair shop in
      my
      > > place I have made several bots of my own. You can also ask for
      > > harold illano and beamarx?? forgot the name, they are also from
      > > philippines and have their own web space from solarbotics(take
      > note:
      > > they are veterans beamers!!) You can also email me in my add.
      > > >

      > > kaya mo yan bro!, johnpaul
      > > >
      > > > "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@> wrote:
      > > > -
      > > >
      > > > Hi kevin, your situation is exactly what im experiencing here
      > > > in my country. Im from the the Philippines and sourcing
      BEAMable
      > > > stuff here is next to impossible. As Mr. Wilf Rigter can
      attest
      > > with
      > > > my continued question of substitute parts, i think i am having
      > him
      > > > undergo tactical interrogation every time i ask questions.
      > > >
      > > > Like you, im having ideas about putting up a store that carry
      > > > all BEAMable stuff ( is this in violation of the patent of
      Mark
      > > > Tilden?). Is anybody here from the Philippines? Hint, Hint.
      > Email
      > > > me through this group.
      > > >
      > > > -- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Selling Stuff
      > <sellingstuffincanada@>

      > > list.

      > > have
      > > > 13 years of outside sales experience from the Industrial
      Safety

      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello Kevin and welcome to the group. You might find this funny, but
        my son and I actually travel quite a ways up to Ontario to
        participate in the Robot Games. We live in the States, see, and find
        the Toronto group great fun.

        If you haven't been, you should check out Bug 'n' Bots monthly
        BuildFests. There are also the Eastern Canadian Robot Games in the
        spring, and the Canandian National Robot Games in the fall.

        http://www.bugnbots.com/
        http://www.robotgames.ca/

        Regards and good luck with your new venture,

        J Wolfgang Goerlich

        Kevin Wells wrote:
        > The next thing that bugged me really bad about Ontario is the lack
        of focus from other people to get together and do stuff here. There
        are no real clubs or events that happen. We have to travel really
        long distances to see or enter anything. What a pain in the butt
        that is.
      • Bits 'N' Bots
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 9, 2007
          That is great to hear that you come up to Ontario for the games.  I have heard great things about the Eastern Canadian Robot Games and will definitely be there in the fall.  I have also heard a lot of great things about Steve Jones and his Bug 'n' Bots shop.  He has a great reputation in BEAM robotics industry and hopefully I can build a working relationship with him in the near future.

          What I would like to see in Ontario is more of that type of thing happening.  One event is great and a monthly buildfest is a great deal of fun too but I would love to see more of this in other places on Ontario too.  I am actually located near the Barrie area of Ontario and my interests start with BEAM but I love bigger robots too.  I am hoping to start something up here for microprocessor based robots in the 1lb or more range.

          The basic workshops are always going to be based on BEAM because of the simplicity of the base designs and the amount of information that can be learned on a budget.  BUT, there is a *LOT* of interest from a bunch of the senior technical high school kids here which have a bit of disposable income to go a bit bigger and start a club for it.  With any luck perhaps we will be able to have smaller local competitions for these guys in my area once in a while.

          It is all just a wait and see what the future brings.

          Thanks for your feedback!

          Kevin Wells wrote:

          > The next thing that bugged me really bad about Ontario is the lack
          of focus from other people to get together and do stuff here. There
          are no real clubs or events that happen. We have to travel really
          long distances to see or enter anything. What a pain in the butt
          that is.

        • Bug'n'Bots
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 9, 2007
            Actually my Buildfests are for all kinds of Robotics not just BEAM. Although I personally have a strong back ground in BEAM I am expanding my horizons. I have built my own CNC and getting more into Bipeds. I know a number of people are playing with microprocessor Bots. So we have all sorts of stuff happening.

            I encourage any groups starting up, it is a tough go at first but it will come together eventually if you persist.

            Cheers,

            Steve Jones
            BioMech Technician

            Bug'n'Bots
            Canadian National Robot Games

            When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.
            R. Buckminster Fuller

          • pdj@pdjinc.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 3, 2012

              Hi Yahoo users. About me: I build and distribute the Pilot Pro CNC routers and appreciate being a part of this users group. I want to share CNC ideas and projects with you. I have started a beam project. This robot is a new design that is currently being prototyped. The parts are made on the CNC. Other users have modified there routers to use a water jet, plastic extruder for 3d printing, plasma torch, and vinyl cutter. I would also like to hear about your projects and ideas for CNC uses as they relate to this group.

              www.pdjinc.com

            • David
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3, 2012
                More like Spam than Beam!