Re: [beam] Re: Introduction

  • john paul yu
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
      jing,

          Mahal talaga servo sa hobby shop. What i did is buy toys with gear, thats include a battery holder and a motor(not efficient). Then i would buy from electronic shop a VCD laser assembly and thats include 2 efficient motors bought it for 25pesos each. I bought many rechargable battery from solarbotics 25C each. thats cheap and a set of solar cell. you can browse their site.

      "jing.alcantara" <jing.alcantara@...> wrote:
      -
      yAH bro,

      nagtanong na ako sa ALEXAN. P56.50 ang 74ACT240 AT P38 ang
      74HC240. kung alam ko lang noon eh di sinuyod ko na yon. sa RAON ako
      napadpad dun din ako sa MEGAMALL bumili ng standard servo P425. ikaw
      ano ang ginagamit mo na gearboxes? so far, i made only three bots. a
      photovore, symet and jiggler. all battery powered. hard to source
      the solar cell. ALEXAN does not carry anymore of the cells. my next
      project is a walker, gonna use the DUAL D FLIP FLOP schematic
      posted by wilf rigter, but my chip will be the CD4013BC. BTW im from
      muntinlupa. thanks for the info bro. ASTIG ANG BEAM!

      -- In beam@yahoogroups. com, john paul yu <johnpaul_yu@ ...> wrote:

      > Jing,
      >
      > I'm also from the philippines in palawan. Well, if your near
      or have a relative in manila you can go to ALEXAN in megamall. They
      have I think all of the IC you need except for monolithic capacitor
      but you can always buy a subtitute. IC's includes, 74AC240, 74HC14,
      LM386, LM555, CD4066, 74AC245, ETC. I myself too was at first having
      problem about parts specially gear boxes. But through the help of
      fellow beamer and after visiting all electronic repair shop in my
      place I have made several bots of my own. You can also ask for
      harold illano and beamarx?? forgot the name, they are also from
      philippines and have their own web space from solarbotics( take note:
      they are veterans beamers!!) You can also email me in my add.

      kaya mo yan bro!, johnpaul

> [...]
      > stuff here is next to impossible. As Mr. Wilf Rigter can attest
      with
      > my continued question of substitute parts, i think i am having him
      > undergo tactical interrogation every time i ask questions.
      >
      > Like you, im having ideas about putting up a store that carry
      > all BEAMable stuff ( is this in violation of the patent of Mark
      > Tilden?). Is anybody here from the Philippines? Hint, Hint. Email
      > me through this group.
      >
      > -- In beam@yahoogroups. com, Selling Stuff <sellingstuffincana da@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Good evening,
      > >
      > > I wanted to send out a quick introduction to everyone on the
      list.

      > > I am a 32 year old father of two living in Ontario Canada. I
      have
      > 13 years of outside sales experience from the Industrial Safety
      > markets under my belt but as of Christmas time I have found myself
      > unemployed which means I now have some time on my hands.
      > >
      > > With that time available I have finally decided to apply my
      > mechanical ability and tinkering to new levels with robotics. This
      > is something that I have always wanted to do but never got around
      > doing. I actually almost went into robotics out of highschool but
      > the tuition was a killer to the school that approached me out of
      the
      > USA so I didn't move ahead with it. My parents were very poor at
      > the time so there was no way I could rely on them for any money. I
      > ended up joining the work force early on.
      > >
      > > Back to the robotics. I have spent the past 3 months completely
      > absorbed in every piece of material I could find on robotics
      > including schematics, chips, sensors, programming, kits and
      > everything under the sun. I have built a few basic logic based
      > robots and one small R/C battle bot with the intention of going
      > bigger in the near future. My first robot was the BOE-BOT from
      > Parallax which was a great starting kit for someone starting out
      but
      > a little to basic for me which had some electrical background.
      > >
      > > The one thing that was COMPLETELY bugging me about the whole
      > robotics side of the business was being in Ontario and seeing the
      > lack of support and parts availbility. I am not sure who else on
      > this list is from Ontario but it completely sucks! There are a few
      > places to get electrical parts if you drive to Toronto but I
      > wouldn't trust that the parts you are picking up will actually
      work
      > when you get them home. Most of the stuff I have ordered has been
      > mail order but ofcourse I haven't been able to get everything from
      > one source so shipping costs have killed me. Then there is always
      > that one part that comes from the USA which duty is a nightmare.
      > >
      > > The next thing that bugged me really bad about Ontario is the
      lack
      > of focus from other people to get together and do stuff here.
      There
> [...]
      > >
      > > Well, without going too commercial on you, I have decided to do
      > something about these problems and that is to start two websites
      > putting my computer skills, sales skills and educational skills to
      > good use.
      > >
      > > The first website is www.battlerobotscan ada.com which will be up
      > on March 15, 2007 and will be focused towards resource sharing and
      > marketed towards us Ontario people for the most part. I am hoping
      > that we can put together a little club of interested like minded
      > people and have contests so we can actually start having fun here
      > without spending tons of money on gas and lodging. I am hoping
      that
      > this site makes that possible. There is also a lack of places on
      > the internet where people like us can chit chat with each other or
      > sell our old stuff we don't use anymore. This place will also have
      > a photo gallery, blogger, personal journals for robots builds and
      > many more features.
      > >
      > > The next website is www.bitsnbots. com which will be up on April
      1,
      > 2007 and will be focused on warehousing all types of robotic
      > products. My main focus is to try and be a one stop shopping
      > experience so that customers don't have to go to multiple places
      > find what they need. If I don't have it then hopefully the
      customer
      > will tell me so that the next customer will be able to find it. I
      > am having a bit of trouble in setting up distributorships right
      now
      > but once they see the shop up and running I am hoping that will
      > change. I will be carrying products from the smallest logic bots
      up
      > the larger battle bots. One of the main focuses here will be
      having
      > the product in stock to ship out extremely quickly after the order
      > is placed and having great customer service with live help
      available
      > when needed.
      > >
      > > The last thing I am hoping to do is setup some type of
      mentorship
      > or club for young teens in the evenings to get them introduced to
      > robotics. Setup a small shop where they can drop in and learn
      about
      > smaller robotics with the hope that they will be able to build
      their
      > own. This type of thing would obviously have to wait until I have
      > absorbed a LOT more material and had a LOT more hands on work but
      > just an idea.
      > >
      > > I would love to have your feedback on my introduction and ideas
      > that I have posted. Let me know what you think the potential is of
      > putting together a club for like-minded people. I know they are
      out
      > there. Let me know if there is a future potential of putting
      > together a mentorship program for younger teens too.
      > >
      > > I look forward to talking to you guys soon.

      http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

    • jing.alcantara
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2007
        -
        hi john paul,

        ganun din ginawa ko. meron ako lens motor ng vcd,
        pinutol ko para lumiit kasama yung mga gear. how do you use the toys
        with motors? as i understand it, the gear ratio should be 40:1 so
        that you can use it to attach the legs. by the way, visited the site
        of harold and its amazing. ive already emailed him and ask for his
        help. we both live here in manila. gonna buy those chips at ALEXAN
        MEGAMALL on saturday march 10. thanks for the info bro. you have
        been a lot of help.

        jing

        http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

      • john paul yu
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2007
          jing,

            About the toys, I made my own gearbox using the gears of the toys and a pcb as the housing. I'll send some pics of my walker in your mail so that you can have some idea and also beamarx also made his own gud lukin gearbox. But if you have money just buy servo and hack it(hassle free).
                                                                                                        jp

          http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

        • jing.alcantara
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 7, 2007
            jp,

            looking forward to that pic so that i could have some ideas
            regarding those gearmotors. my wife's gonna kill me if she finds out
            how much i spent for the one and only servo motor that i have.
            regards.

            jing

            http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 9, 2007
              Hello Kevin and welcome to the group. You might find this funny, but
              my son and I actually travel quite a ways up to Ontario to
              participate in the Robot Games. We live in the States, see, and find
              the Toronto group great fun.

              If you haven't been, you should check out Bug 'n' Bots monthly
              BuildFests. There are also the Eastern Canadian Robot Games in the
              spring, and the Canandian National Robot Games in the fall.

              http://www.bugnbots.com/
              http://www.robotgames.ca/

              Regards and good luck with your new venture,

              J Wolfgang Goerlich

              Kevin Wells wrote:
              > The next thing that bugged me really bad about Ontario is the lack
              of focus from other people to get together and do stuff here. There
              are no real clubs or events that happen. We have to travel really
              long distances to see or enter anything. What a pain in the butt
              that is.
            • Bits 'N' Bots
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 9, 2007
                That is great to hear that you come up to Ontario for the games.  I have heard great things about the Eastern Canadian Robot Games and will definitely be there in the fall.  I have also heard a lot of great things about Steve Jones and his Bug 'n' Bots shop.  He has a great reputation in BEAM robotics industry and hopefully I can build a working relationship with him in the near future.

                What I would like to see in Ontario is more of that type of thing happening.  One event is great and a monthly buildfest is a great deal of fun too but I would love to see more of this in other places on Ontario too.  I am actually located near the Barrie area of Ontario and my interests start with BEAM but I love bigger robots too.  I am hoping to start something up here for microprocessor based robots in the 1lb or more range.

                The basic workshops are always going to be based on BEAM because of the simplicity of the base designs and the amount of information that can be learned on a budget.  BUT, there is a *LOT* of interest from a bunch of the senior technical high school kids here which have a bit of disposable income to go a bit bigger and start a club for it.  With any luck perhaps we will be able to have smaller local competitions for these guys in my area once in a while.

                It is all just a wait and see what the future brings.

                Thanks for your feedback!

                Kevin Wells wrote:

                > The next thing that bugged me really bad about Ontario is the lack
                of focus from other people to get together and do stuff here. There
                are no real clubs or events that happen. We have to travel really
                long distances to see or enter anything. What a pain in the butt
                that is.

              • Bug'n'Bots
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 9, 2007
                  Actually my Buildfests are for all kinds of Robotics not just BEAM. Although I personally have a strong back ground in BEAM I am expanding my horizons. I have built my own CNC and getting more into Bipeds. I know a number of people are playing with microprocessor Bots. So we have all sorts of stuff happening.

                  I encourage any groups starting up, it is a tough go at first but it will come together eventually if you persist.

                  Cheers,

                  Steve Jones
                  BioMech Technician

                  Bug'n'Bots
                  Canadian National Robot Games

                  When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.
                  R. Buckminster Fuller

                • pdj@pdjinc.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 3, 2012

                    Hi Yahoo users. About me: I build and distribute the Pilot Pro CNC routers and appreciate being a part of this users group. I want to share CNC ideas and projects with you. I have started a beam project. This robot is a new design that is currently being prototyped. The parts are made on the CNC. Other users have modified there routers to use a water jet, plastic extruder for 3d printing, plasma torch, and vinyl cutter. I would also like to hear about your projects and ideas for CNC uses as they relate to this group.

                    www.pdjinc.com

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 3, 2012
                      More like Spam than Beam!