noob looking for circuit help

  • cw_eubanks
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2006
      I recently got interested in BEAM having walked into RobotVillage here
      in NYC. I'm looking to create some simple pummers for a start and I've
      been looking through solarbotics.com and .net and I've ordered lots of
      supplies already based on the simple designs included therein.

      For starters I plan to use the circuit shown on the solarbotics page
      for BEP applications

      and also featured in MAKEzine.com's new article on pummers:

      http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/11/how_to_make_a_p_8.html

      I have two questions about this to accomplish the initial design(s) I
      want:

      1) Is it possible to have the light slowly come on as it does in decay
      by altering this circuit only slightly and how? For one, I want a
      nocturnal "flower" that very slowly illuminates and then very slowly
      decays after a few seconds.

      2) anybody got recommendations on finding supplies such as aluminum
      sheets, thin gauge wire mesh, small tools, etc?

      thanks in advance,

      Chuck
    • William Rutiser
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
        cw_eubanks wrote:
        > 2) anybody got recommendations on finding supplies such as aluminum
        > sheets, thin gauge wire mesh, small tools, etc?
        Look for Aluminum Step Flashing in the roofing section of a place like
        Home Depot. I bought a package of 10 pieces 5" by 7" about 0.011" thick.
        I cut it with a knife or paper cutter or scissors( but don't touch a
        tailor or dressmaker's ).

        I used it for the frame of a two servo walker.

        The flashing may not be suitable for real BEAM work because the package
        lists "Hobbies/Crafts" as one of its uses. BEAMers don't use anything
        for its official intended purpose.

        -- Bill Rutiser
      • wilf_nv
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
          Hi Chuck,

          The 240 pummer is not a good starting point for the kind of "fade in,
          fade out" function you are looking for. The 240 pummer LED current
          pulse and light output has the inherently fast attack and slow decay
          of a charge pump circuit and there is not much you can do about it.

          However there are several circuits which would give the desired
          flowering light effect: The QLF, Nulite and Spectrummer circuits.
          The first uses the 74HC14 and LM324 or LM339 chips while last two
          circuits both use a 74HC240 chip.

          They are all designed to drive three or four single LEDs or a single
          RGB LED to provide full range color variations.

          There are some solar powered variants but I can probably simplify
          further it to meet your particular application. Let me know.

          wilf