Beginner Walker Motors

  • Kyle Croft
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2006
      Hi again,
      I'm doing a school project on BEAM, and I want to have a variety of
      robots there. I'm thinking a symet, solarroller and a walker. I want to
      make one order from Solarbotics for the specialty parts (solar cells,
      motors). For the walker, I'm planning to build the one from Junkbots.
      The thing is, I can't decide on a motor. Servos seem like they are
      really easy to mount. But other gearmotors look they would be hard to
      configure at the right angles. What would you recommend for a first walker?

      Thanks in advance,
      Kyle
    • Harold
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2006
        Hey there Kyle!

        Yes, you did have a very nice and interesting project, BEAM robotics!
        Good idea!

        Anyways, you could start with simpler ones, any varieties. But for me,
        walkers seems to be recognizable and many people or kids love to see
        its action. You can actually start with hobby servos first before
        jumping to a different gear motors. Some gear motors are easily be
        soldered (made of brass or steel metal). Escap gear motors like the
        ones on Tilden's Walkman can also be used for a 2-motor walker. Small,
        light and strong. So, hobby servos can be used first, but if you have
        what you have there, just use it carefully. By the way, do you now
        have a geared motor with you? What type if any?

        Ok, so keep sending us your feedback, questions, etc. and we'll be
        glad to answer it anytime. Have fun and happy BEAMing! Goodluck too!

        ...Harold.

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle Croft" <nerd-herd@...> wrote:

        > Hi again,
        > I'm doing a school project on BEAM, and I want to have a variety of
        > robots there. I'm thinking a symet, solarroller and a walker. I want
        > make one order from Solarbotics for the specialty parts (solar cells,
        > motors). For the walker, I'm planning to build the one from Junkbots.
        > The thing is, I can't decide on a motor. Servos seem like they are
        > really easy to mount. But other gearmotors look they would be hard to
        > configure at the right angles. What would you recommend for a first
        walker?

        > Thanks in advance,
        > Kyle

      • Kyle Croft
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2006
          Harold wrote:

          >Hey there Kyle!
          >
          >Yes, you did have a very nice and interesting project, BEAM robotics!
          >Good idea!
          >
          >Anyways, you could start with simpler ones, any varieties. But for me,
          >walkers seems to be recognizable and many people or kids love to see
          >its action. You can actually start with hobby servos first before
          >jumping to a different gear motors. Some gear motors are easily be
          >soldered (made of brass or steel metal). Escap gear motors like the
          >ones on Tilden's Walkman can also be used for a 2-motor walker. Small,
          >light and strong. So, hobby servos can be used first, but if you have
          >what you have there, just use it carefully. By the way, do you now
          >have a geared motor with you? What type if any?
          >
          >Ok, so keep sending us your feedback, questions, etc. and we'll be
          >glad to answer it anytime. Have fun and happy BEAMing! Goodluck too!
          >
          >...Harold.
          >
          >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:beam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kyle Croft"
          ><nerd-herd@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi again,
          > > I'm doing a school project on BEAM, and I want to have a variety of
          > > robots there. I'm thinking a symet, solarroller and a walker. I want
          > > make one order from Solarbotics for the specialty parts (solar cells,
          > > motors). For the walker, I'm planning to build the one from Junkbots.
          > > The thing is, I can't decide on a motor. Servos seem like they are
          > > really easy to mount. But other gearmotors look they would be hard to
          > > configure at the right angles. What would you recommend for a first
          >walker?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > > Kyle

          Yes, I have some gear motors. Two of them are Nihon from Fair Radio, in
          a Minolta Lens Assembly. The other one I found
          in the dissection of a camcorder. It is Nihon too. I'm not sure about
          any of their ratings, though.
        • Harold Ilano
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2006
            Hi Kyle!

            That's good! Thanks for the reply too! Could you send some pics of your motors there with you? Maybe we could give you some advice on how to connect them, etc. Goodluck and happy BEAMing!

               ...Harold.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2006
              Harold Ilano wrote:
              >Hi Kyle!
              >That's good! Thanks for the reply too! Could you send some pics of your
              >motors there with you? Maybe we could give you some advice on how to
              >connect them, etc. Goodluck and happy BEAMing!
              >...Harold.
              >
              >On 10/30/06, *Kyle Croft* <nerd-herd@...
              ><mailto:nerd-herd@...>> wrote:
              >
              > Harold wrote:
              > >
              > >Hey there Kyle!
              > >
              > >Yes, you did have a very nice and interesting project, BEAM robotics!
              > >Good idea!
              > >
              > >Anyways, you could start with simpler ones, any varieties. But for
              > me,
              > >walkers seems to be recognizable and many people or kids love to see
              > >its action. You can actually start with hobby servos first before
              > >jumping to a different gear motors. Some gear motors are easily be
              > >soldered (made of brass or steel metal). Escap gear motors like the
              > >ones on Tilden's Walkman can also be used for a 2-motor walker.
              >Small,
              > >light and strong. So, hobby servos can be used first, but if you have
              > >what you have there, just use it carefully. By the way, do you now
              > >have a geared motor with you? What type if any?
              > >
              > >Ok, so keep sending us your feedback, questions, etc. and we'll be
              > >glad to answer it anytime. Have fun and happy BEAMing! Goodluck too!
              > >
              > >...Harold.
              > >
              > >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:beam%40yahoogroups.com>
              > <mailto: beam% <mailto:beam%25>40yahoogroups.com
              > <http://40yahoogroups.com>>, "Kyle Croft"
              > ><nerd-herd@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi again,
              > > > I'm doing a school project on BEAM, and I want to have a
              > variety of
              > > > robots there. I'm thinking a symet, solarroller and a walker. I
              > want
              > > > make one order from Solarbotics for the specialty parts (solar
              > cells,
              > > > motors). For the walker, I'm planning to build the one from
              > Junkbots.
              > > > The thing is, I can't decide on a motor. Servos seem like they are
              > > > really easy to mount. But other gearmotors look they would be
              > hard to
              > > > configure at the right angles. What would you recommend for a
              > first
              > >walker?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks in advance,
              > > > Kyle
              > > >

              > Yes, I have some gear motors. Two of them are Nihon from Fair
              > Radio, in
              > a Minolta Lens Assembly. The other one I found
              > in the dissection of a camcorder. It is Nihon too. I'm not sure about
              > any of their ratings, though.
              >
              >The two lens Nihons are already uploaded. They are in an album named Nihon
              >Motors. I'll take a picture of the camcorder one tomorrow. Thanks for the
              >help.

            • Kyle Croft
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
                Kyle Croft wrote:

                >Harold Ilano wrote:
                > >Hi Kyle!
                > >That's good! Thanks for the reply too! Could you send some pics of your
                > >motors there with you? Maybe we could give you some advice on how to
                > >connect them, etc. Goodluck and happy BEAMing!
                > >...Harold.
                > >
                > >On 10/30/06, *Kyle Croft* <nerd-herd@...
                ><mailto:nerd-herd%40hotmail.com>
                > ><mailto:nerd-herd@... <mailto:nerd-herd%40hotmail.com>>> wrote:
                > >
                > > Harold wrote:
                > > >
                > > >Hey there Kyle!
                > > >
                > > >Yes, you did have a very nice and interesting project, BEAM robotics!
                > > >Good idea!
                > > >
                > > >Anyways, you could start with simpler ones, any varieties. But for
                > > me,
                > > >walkers seems to be recognizable and many people or kids love to see
                > > >its action. You can actually start with hobby servos first before
                > > >jumping to a different gear motors. Some gear motors are easily be
                > > >soldered (made of brass or steel metal). Escap gear motors like the
                > > >ones on Tilden's Walkman can also be used for a 2-motor walker.
                > >Small,
                > > >light and strong. So, hobby servos can be used first, but if you have
                > > >what you have there, just use it carefully. By the way, do you now
                > > >have a geared motor with you? What type if any?
                > > >
                > > >Ok, so keep sending us your feedback, questions, etc. and we'll be
                > > >glad to answer it anytime. Have fun and happy BEAMing! Goodluck too!
                > > >
                > > >...Harold.
                > > >
                > > >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:beam%40yahoogroups.com>
                ><mailto:beam%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > <mailto: beam% <mailto:beam%25>40yahoogroups.com
                > > <http://40yahoogroups.com <http://40yahoogroups.com>>>, "Kyle Croft"

                > > variety of
                > > want
                > > cells,
                > > Junkbots.
                > > hard to
                > > first
                > > >walker?

                > > Yes, I have some gear motors. Two of them are Nihon from Fair
                > > Radio, in
                > > a Minolta Lens Assembly. The other one I found
                > > in the dissection of a camcorder. It is Nihon too. I'm not sure about
                > > any of their ratings, though.
                > >
                > >The two lens Nihons are already uploaded. They are in an album named
                >Nihon
                > >Motors. I'll take a picture of the camcorder one tomorrow. Thanks for the
                > >help.

                Turns out I was wrong. There are two camcorder motors. Their codes are:
                Long Shaft = YG9-5053
                1870A

                Short Shaft=YG9-5054
                0380A

                The two lens motors are:
                GM-16153
                X1166A

                GM-16154
                X2066A

                These can all be found in the photo album "Nihon Motors"
                Hint: Go to the last page and then go two pages back.
              • Harold Ilano
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
                  Thanks Kyle! We'll check that out for you. I'm sure someone would comment on that. Have fun!

                     ...Harold.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
                    Hey Kyle!

                    Those were perfect motors dude! You can use these things to any BEAM
                    bot you wish to build. Walkers, photovores, rovers, heads, name it
                    and you can use those man. Nice work!

                    Some people uses hot glue gun to mount the motor to a body frame,
                    but some solder it. Just look for the metal part where you could
                    solder the body frame to the motor. Or you may even find a way to
                    screw it on. Boy, I wish I could have those neat motors. I have one,
                    and was also from a camcorder, but it doesn's have a shaft like
                    that. Only its gear that comes out, nothing more.

                    Anyways, I hope you can more bots out of your lens motors Kyle.
                    Thanks for sharing the pics mate! Goodluck and happy building! :)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
                      Harold wrote:

                      >Hey Kyle!
                      >
                      >Those were perfect motors dude! You can use these things to any BEAM
                      >bot you wish to build. Walkers, photovores, rovers, heads, name it
                      >and you can use those man. Nice work!
                      >
                      >Some people uses hot glue gun to mount the motor to a body frame,
                      >but some solder it. Just look for the metal part where you could
                      >solder the body frame to the motor. Or you may even find a way to
                      >screw it on. Boy, I wish I could have those neat motors. I have one,
                      >and was also from a camcorder, but it doesn's have a shaft like
                      >that. Only its gear that comes out, nothing more.
                      >
                      >Anyways, I hope you can more bots out of your lens motors Kyle.
                      >Thanks for sharing the pics mate! Goodluck and happy building! :)
                      >
                      >...Harold.
                      >
                      >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:beam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kyle Croft"
                      ><nerd-herd@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Kyle Croft wrote:

                      >of your
                      >how to

                      > > ><mailto:nerd-herd%40hotmail.com>

                      >robotics!

                      >But for
                      >to see
                      >before
                      >easily be
                      >like the
                      >walker.
                      >you have
                      >you now

                      >we'll be
                      >Goodluck too!

                      ><mailto:beam%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > ><mailto:beam%40yahoogroups.com>
                      ><http://40yahoogroups.com <http://40yahoogroups.com>>>>, "Kyle
                      >Croft"

                      >walker. I
                      >(solar
                      >they are
                      >be
                      >for a

                      >sure about

                      >named
                      > > >Nihon
                      >Thanks for the
                      > > > >

                      > > Turns out I was wrong. There are two camcorder motors. Their codes
                      >are:
                      > > Long Shaft = YG9-5053
                      > > 1870A
                      > >
                      > > Short Shaft=YG9-5054
                      > > 0380A
                      > >
                      > > The two lens motors are:
                      > > GM-16153
                      > > X1166A
                      > >
                      > > GM-16154
                      > > X2066A
                      > >
                      > > These can all be found in the photo album "Nihon Motors"
                      > > Hint: Go to the last page and then go two pages back.

                      The lens assembly is available at Fair Radio. It's part number is
                      LENS-36-98, $20.00 each, 3 for $50.00
                      Thanks for the encouragement!