Re: [beam] Re: FECSTD

  • wilf rigter
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
      With all this digital stuff, it is time that I revisited the Scanman project

      The idea is to use sound to select a specific motion ahead of time intead physically cycling through the different motions.

      In other words, clap your hands a number of times to scan through a menu of motions with the selected motion indicated by LEDs on the bot. Stop clapping and the selected motion is transferred to the motor control circuit.

      Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 2:44 AM
      Subject: [beam] Re: FECSTD

      Nice work, Wilf. I don't have a 74XX74 in the spare parts draw at the
      moment, but I will pick one up for a play when I next pass a Jaycar
      store. (Like tomorrow!)

      The 'random' method you use is very similar to the original circuit.
      The EKit people use a 74HC161 at the heart of their circuit. In
      'normal' mode its active low LOAD pin is held high, and it steps
      through a binary count with each clock pulse. When in 'whim' mode the
      LOAD pin pulls low, and two fast oscillators load the counter at each
      clock pulse, sort of like a D-type FF.

      Their sound sensor section, while different to the BeamSonic circuit,
      similarly produces a single pulse in response to a sound. It doesn't
      appear to have the 'minimum duration' requirement for the incoming
      sound though, which is a nice feature of the Beamsonic, in my opinion.

      I would love to post their full schematic (which they provide and
      explain in a booklet that comes with the kit). Just have to find the
      time!! Maybe...

      Thanks very much for your feedback and ideas, Wilf.

      I'll be out in the Batcave if anyone's looking for me!

      Cheers,

      Jo

      --- In beam@yahoogroups. com, "wilf_nv" <wrigter@... > wrote:

      > Jo,
      >
      > I understand it better now.
      >
      > The bridge rectifier version I posted should do the job but you need
      > a Gray code counter and the Beamsonic circuit to drive it as shown
      > here
      >
      > http://www.user. dccnet.com/ wrigter/motordec oder2.gif

    • Joseph Charles
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
        Scanman is what I thought of, too, when I saw my son controlling his
        little robot with handclaps.

        A make-over for the Scanman would be very interesting, Wilf.

        I've just re-read the original article, and I understand it somewhat
        better than I did a few years ago. That OR wiring for the direction
        control when the 251 is tristated is terrific! I must jump back into a
        few more of your old articles.

        Jo