transistors

  • jabmechtech
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2006
      Hi all.
      I jut got some new parts and I have some metal 2n2222 & 2n2907.
      Is the pin lay out the same for these as the TO-90 package?
      And my package of 2N3906's say "2n3994" is that the same thing?

      On a side note could one make a "sound seeking head bot"? My daughters
      idea.
      Thanks for the help.
      JabMechTech.
      Happy building.
    • WilliamChops Westfield
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2006
        On Aug 10, 2006, at 6:07 PM, jabmechtech wrote:

        > I jut got some new parts and I have some metal 2n2222 & 2n2907.
        > Is the pin lay out the same for these as the TO-90 package?

        Emitter by the tab. Then EBC, same as the plastic package.
        Technically, I believe 2n2222 and 2n2907 are ALWAYS supposed to
        be in metal packages. The popular plastics packages are actually
        pn2222 and pn2907. Datasheets are easy to find on the net, for
        popular and fully numbered products. For instance:
        http://www.ee.washington.edu/stores/DataSheets/transistors/2n2222.pdf

        > And my package of 2N3906's say "2n3994" is that the same thing?

        Um. No. The web says a 2n3994 us a P-channel jfet, sometimes with
        four leads. Worth $2+ each, but not in a circuit where you want a
        2n3906 :-(

        BillW
      • jabmechtech
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 11, 2006
          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, William "Chops" Westfield <westfw@...>
          wrote:

          > On Aug 10, 2006, at 6:07 PM, jabmechtech wrote:
          >
          > > I jut got some new parts and I have some metal 2n2222 & 2n2907.
          > > Is the pin lay out the same for these as the TO-90 package?
          >
          > Emitter by the tab. Then EBC, same as the plastic package.
          > Technically, I believe 2n2222 and 2n2907 are ALWAYS supposed to
          > be in metal packages. The popular plastics packages are actually
          > pn2222 and pn2907. Datasheets are easy to find on the net, for
          > popular and fully numbered products. For instance:

          http://www.ee.washington.edu/stores/DataSheets/transistors/2n2222.pdf

          > > And my package of 2N3906's say "2n3994" is that the same thing?
          > >
          > Um. No. The web says a 2n3994 us a P-channel jfet, sometimes with
          > four leads. Worth $2+ each, but not in a circuit where you want a
          > 2n3906 :-(
          >
          > BillW

          Thanks for the help. I can't link to that site:( and now I know why
          my FRED is Dead. thanks for your time.
          jabmechtech.
          P.S. I'll lett the place know they gave me the rong parts.
        • atheist_dialectic
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 11, 2006
            I do not see why a sound seeking head could not be made. As long as
            there are small sensors that can detect something, there should be a
            way to make a head bot seek that thing. Small microphones could
            provide voltage to the head. One just would have to know or figure out
            how to get the head to turn towards the microphone that provides the
            higher voltage. I am sorry I could not provide more specifics, I am
            new at this my self.

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@...> wrote:

            > Hi all.
            > I jut got some new parts and I have some metal 2n2222 & 2n2907.
            > Is the pin lay out the same for these as the TO-90 package?
            > And my package of 2N3906's say "2n3994" is that the same thing?
            >
            > On a side note could one make a "sound seeking head bot"? My daughters
            > idea.
            > Thanks for the help.
            > JabMechTech.
            > Happy building.

          • Joseph Charles
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
              Hi JabMechTech,

              I can point you to this recent (sort of) post from J Wolfgang
              Goerlich. In it he provides a list of past posts, and schematics,
              dealing with the work Bruce Robinson did a few years ago.

              I'll add one more:

              Bruce Robinson, "Re: locator bot -", April 15, 2003.

              Ears that can help provide some measure of directionality would appear
              to be an essential part of a successful sound-head.

              Jo

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
                And the link to the JWG post is, of course:

                Ooops. :)

                Jo

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:

                  > And the link to the JWG post is, of course:

                  > Ooops. :)
                  >
                  > Jo
                  >

                  > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi JabMechTech,
                  > >
                  > > I can point you to this recent (sort of) post from J Wolfgang
                  > > Goerlich. In it he provides a list of past posts, and schematics,
                  > > dealing with the work Bruce Robinson did a few years ago.
                  > >
                  > > I'll add one more:
                  > >
                  > > Bruce Robinson, "Re: locator bot -", April 15, 2003.
                  > >
                  > > Ears that can help provide some measure of directionality would
                  appear
                  > > to be an essential part of a successful sound-head.
                  > >
                  > > Jo
                  > >

                  > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > On a side note could one make a "sound seeking head bot"?
                  > >Hi.
                  Thank you for this it is so way over my head right now, but it is a
                  goal of mine, I got the Idea from my three year old when my head bot
                  I just made turned in her derection when she was crying. My wife
                  asked me if it was a sound seeking head. Now I know it can be done.
                  THANK YOU very much for the help and time.
                  Jabmechtech

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
                    --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "atheist_dialectic"
                    <atheist_dialectic@...> wrote:

                    > I do not see why a sound seeking head could not be made.

                    There have been a number of BEAM bots that use sound, based on Wilf's
                    BeamSonic circuit.

                    One of the first that I recall was Bruce Robinson's Hider
                    http://www3.telus.net/rfws/beam/hider/m_hidr_06.html

                    Wilf also did one that moved to a new sequenced behaviour with each
                    sound input. It was called ScanMan, and a search of the list will turn
                    it up.

                    I am currently working on "Creeper" which I started two years ago and
                    hope to finish this fall. It uses a version of Bruce's "ear" circuit
                    as well.

                    Bruce was working on a binaural head some years ago, but encountered
                    difficulties designing a directional "outer ear" or pinna (among other
                    issues) and left the project to go on to other things. Probably by now
                    someone has sent you a link to Bruce's work, though I couldn't find it
                    just now.

                    As you say, probably no reason this cannot be done, just that no one
                    has yet achieved it.

                    Keep BEAMing and dreaming
                    Tom
                  • wilf
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
                      One possible technique is to emulate a "cyclops" type of  head replacing the single photo sensor with a single microphone.  A parabolic reflector or a tuned tube should be used to focus the sound source and make the microphone directional  and/or frequency selective.

                      The principle of operation:

                      a motor rotates the microphone & circuit board until the amplified microphone output exceeds a trigger level, then waits until the sound level  drops below the trigger level and reverse motor rotation.

                      Repeat indefinitely.

                      The motor will rotate until a sound source is detected  then scan back and forth across the sound source.

                      If mounted on a mobile platform, the head could influence the direction of the platforn motion either toward or away from the sound source.

                      Or a two motor / 3 wheel platform itself can act as a head by rotating in place until a sound source is located and then waggle towards the sound source.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
                        Here is the original article.

                        As an update and a demo,  I will redo this circuit with a  PICAXE chip.

                        > I do not see why a sound seeking head could not be made.

                        There have been a number of BEAM bots that use sound, based on Wilf's
                        BeamSonic circuit.

                        One of the first that I recall was Bruce Robinson's Hider
                        http://www3. telus.net/ rfws/beam/ hider/m_hidr_ 06.html

                        Wilf also did one that moved to a new sequenced behaviour with each
                        sound input. It was called ScanMan, and a search of the list will turn
                        it up.

                        I am currently working on "Creeper" which I started two years ago and
                        hope to finish this fall. It uses a version of Bruce's "ear" circuit
                        as well.

                        Bruce was working on a binaural head some years ago, but encountered
                        difficulties designing a directional "outer ear" or pinna (among other
                        issues) and left the project to go on to other things. Probably by now
                        someone has sent you a link to Bruce's work, though I couldn't find it
                        just now.

                        As you say, probably no reason this cannot be done, just that no one
                        has yet achieved it.

                        Keep BEAMing and dreaming
                        Tom

                      • Dbhnewton
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
                          Message
                          Oops -  i mean a 3DOF head (left, right, up, down)

                          Tom

                        • jabmechtech
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 13, 2006
                            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "wilf" <wrigter@...> wrote:

                            > One possible technique is to emulate a "cyclops" type of head
                            replacing the single photo sensor with a single microphone. A
                            parabolic reflector or a tuned tube should be used to focus the
                            sound source and make the microphone directional and/or frequency
                            selective.

                            > The principle of operation:
                            >
                            > a motor rotates the microphone & circuit board until the amplified
                            microphone output exceeds a trigger level, then waits until the
                            sound level drops below the trigger level and reverse motor
                            rotation.

                            > Repeat indefinitely.
                            >
                            > The motor will rotate until a sound source is detected then scan
                            back and forth across the sound source.

                            > If mounted on a mobile platform, the head could influence the
                            direction of the platforn motion either toward or away from the
                            sound source.

                            > Or a two motor / 3 wheel platform itself can act as a head by
                            rotating in place until a sound source is located and then waggle
                            towards the sound source.

                            HI.
                            Thank you, this just keeps getting more and more facinating, and
                            complicated. I like the idea of some thing that looks pasive but
                            interacts with you as you go about your day, I guse a camera could
                            be mounted to but thats not B.E.A.M. I'm working on another head bot
                            that is inside of a "Gundam" head, for my freind. i'll let you all
                            know how it turns out.
                            Thank you for your help and time
                            jabmechtech
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006