Re: Idiots' guide to neural networks

  • chrisvaughan02
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
      This is the same link wilf said had a virus
    • David T
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
        Hrm...virus? Haven't noticed, but then I'm using a Mac.

        Wilf? What about it?

        --David

        On Aug 6, 2006, at 8:50 PM, chrisvaughan02 wrote:

        This is the same link wilf said had a virus

      • wilf
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
          Is this the 2nd time you have posted this link David or is someone spoofing your sender name?  For Windows users, this link attempts to install a trojan and loads of spam. Please do not post this link again unless it is certified free of malware.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
            Seriously, guys, this is the first I've ever heard of this.

            Sorry.

            --David T.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
              No Problem David! You're right and my mistake. That first post was
              from Adam.

              Anyway you obviously were not aware of the problem since it did not
              affect your Mac.

              However I have deleted the two messages with the link to avoid
              speading the malware.

              Perhaps some knowledgable Beamer can clean up that HTM file?

              wilf

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
                Wilf, and others:

                I did post the offending URL earlier today. As far as I know, I have never posted it before.
                As my Mac is rather well immune (so I think) to web-based malware, I was unaware that I'd caused any problems.
                I've attempted to contact the author of the website to find out what his intentions might be.

                In general, I find tripod.com with its ads something of a virus in and of itself. Therefore, I might abstract the information relevant to BEAM into a text file, which should be relatively innocuous.

                My sincere apologies for any trouble my blundering might have caused.

                --David T.

                On Aug 6, 2006, at 11:20 PM, David T wrote:

                Seriously, guys, this is the first I've ever heard of this.

                Sorry.

                --David T.

                On Aug 6, 2006, at 11:20 PM, wilf wrote:

                Is this the 2nd time you have posted this link David or is someone spoofing your sender name?  For Windows users, this link attempts to install a trojan and loads of spam. Please do not post this link again unless it is certified free of malware.

                wilf

                Find the right one

                Y! Toolbar

                Connect Faster

                Add Groups to

                Yahoo! Toolbar.

                Yahoo! Photos

                Order at Yahoo!

                Pick up at Target

                .

              • adam
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                  WHOA! Sorry guys, I guess I should have been more careful!! I saw the
                  headline and copied the link from digg.com. I meant no harm. Next
                  time I'll check thoroughly before posting a link!

                  Adam

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
                    Pesky driveby downloads! This is off-topic but hopefully helpful for
                    fellow Windows users.

                    To get onto your computer, these malware use scripting to take
                    advantage of a vulnerability on your computer. The majority of
                    vulnerabilities are addressed each month at Windows Updates. Patch
                    early, patch frequently. Scripting, on the other hand, can and should
                    be disabled all but the websites you trust.

                    You can disable scripting and increase security in IE on the Security
                    tab (Tools > Internet Options > Security). Set the Internet zone to
                    High. On Trusted Sites, click the [Sites] button. Uncheck [x] Require
                    server verification and add in all of your favorite trusted websites.

                    This works well. I've been running like this for years and have not
                    caught a web virus yet (including from the link Adam and David
                    shared).

                    Hope this helps. If anyone has any questions about this or other
                    Windows security topics, please feel free to contact me off the list.

                    J Wolfgang Goerlich