RE: [beam] self replicating and evolving robots

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
      Dang! Something went wrong.

      Here we go again - the link to an online article on these automatons:

      http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSScience0008/30_robot.html

      It's very interesting as these robots are evolved with only very little
      human intervention. This is probably as close as anybody's ever come to
      robots breeding robots. I guess I'll have to take back some of my arguments
      that it will be a cold day in h*ll before robots will replicate. Still, it's
      not the same as self-replication.

      Cheers,

      - Thomas

      > this is a story in the newspaper not beam, not yet anyway. these
      > things are
      > modular units controlled by a computer that builds these into the real
      > world. these things crawl blindly around on ther floor. the computer
      > program opperated like this. the computer joined three building blocks
      > joints, bars artificial nerves in varies ways, the ones that worked well
      > were copied and mutated. these things were made by a 3-D printer. the
      > Tetra (as i now know its named) contain 20 moduales and were 8 to 12 in
      > long, and "they look strikingly different" one like a crab,
      > arrow, snake and
      > other shapes. the only reason i see that beam hasn't done this is our bots
      > can't combine i know Mark Tilden combined the bodies but as far
      > as i know he
      > didsn't combined the mind. but what if you had a circut that would couple
      > when a second one touched. maybe an H-switch could unhook it if it didn't
      > move effeciently enough. a beacon on each to draw it others (if i sound
      > crazy its just that im tired)

    • Droidmakr
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2000
        You may also want to take a look at this:

        http://golem03.cs-i.brandeis.edu/download.html

        It give you a chance to participate in the concept.

        So long,
        Droidmakr

        --- In beam@egroups.com, "Thomas" <ascii@h...> wrote:
        > Dang! Something went wrong.
        >
        > Here we go again - the link to an online article on these
        automatons:

        > http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSScience0008/30_robot.html
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > - Thomas

        Remember: Technicians solve problems
        Engineers design them
      • Dave Hrynkiw
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 18, 2000
          At 12:23 AM 9/1/2000 , Thomas wrote:
          >http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSScience0008/30_robot.html
          >
          >It's very interesting as these robots are evolved with only very little
          >human intervention. This is probably as close as anybody's ever come to
          >robots breeding robots. I guess I'll have to take back some of my arguments
          >that it will be a cold day in h*ll before robots will replicate. Still, it's
          >not the same as self-replication.

          Here's a much more interesting link to the place that did it - with movies.
          Quite interesting...

          http://golem03.cs-i.brandeis.edu/results.html

          Regards,
          Dave
          "Um, no - that's H,R,Y,N,K,I,W. No, not K,I,U,U, K,I,_W_. Yes,
          that's right. Yes, I know it looks like "HOCKYRINK." Yup, only
          2 vowels. Pronounciation? _SMITH_".
          http://www.solarbotics.com