Re: Tankbot ideas

  • John O
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2006
      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Henrik Pettersson <henrikp@...> wrote:

      > I have less time to spend on bots than I'd like so I thought
      perhaps to keep it going by converting one of my toy tanks that I
      never play with. I was wondering if anyone had any interesting ideas?

      > /Henrik

      Ive been pondering the same thing since I purchased a VSTank R* It
      was my first micro RC tank and I was impressed how capable it was
      with its tiny treads.

      Then I came across this site and these tiny solar powered tracked
      robots

      http://www.artm-friends.at/rm/kytron/index.php

      and it made me want to try treads out even more. I have no clue how
      to make custom treads like this guy so toy tanks seem a easy to go
      about it.

      I dont want to rip apart my little M1A2 (its too much fun having IR
      tank battles) so I decided to order some much cheaper version from
      Hobbytron to use. You can find tanks like that for as little as 5
      bucks a pop so they could be a decent little tread platform thats not
      going to break the bank if destroy a few.

      I think im going to make something like on the solarbotics hosted
      site "Solar-life" and the photovore titled "tank" there Basically a
      1381 photopopper circuit wired up to the TANK chassis and motors
      which seems to work fine and creates a popper that can go where
      normal poppers can't.

      Im also thinking about a perhaps using a circut that will allow the
      tank to reverse BEAMant maybe? Im not sure I havent built one so I
      dont know how tiny those can be made while being solar powered might
      be too large for a tink tank base.
    • Tom Elner
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2006
        The tracks on Solarbotics are great... you can see them on my sumo
        called 'Challenger' on my site.

        My stepson had (had being the operative word here) a toy tank, I took
        it apart and attempted to use the tracks.... it is very difficult to
        get good tread meshing, along with good cog idlers.

        If I still had that tank I would start by adding tactile sensors, and
        would probably also make it seek light, it would be extra cool if you
        could turn the turret into a headbot for the light seeking part! Yep
        that would be the way to go, a rotating turret seeking the light,
        with the lock on LED at the end of the gun!

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "John O" <ShadowXIX@...> wrote:

        > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Henrik Pettersson <henrikp@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have less time to spend on bots than I'd like so I thought
        > perhaps to keep it going by converting one of my toy tanks that I
        > never play with. I was wondering if anyone had any interesting
        ideas?

        > > /Henrik
        > >

        > Ive been pondering the same thing since I purchased a VSTank R* It
        > was my first micro RC tank and I was impressed how capable it was
        > with its tiny treads.
        >
        > Then I came across this site and these tiny solar powered tracked
        > robots
        >
        > http://www.artm-friends.at/rm/kytron/index.php
        >
        > and it made me want to try treads out even more. I have no clue how
        > to make custom treads like this guy so toy tanks seem a easy to go
        > about it.
        >
        > I dont want to rip apart my little M1A2 (its too much fun having IR
        > tank battles) so I decided to order some much cheaper version from
        > Hobbytron to use. You can find tanks like that for as little as 5
        > bucks a pop so they could be a decent little tread platform thats
        not
        > going to break the bank if destroy a few.
        >
        > I think im going to make something like on the solarbotics hosted
        > site "Solar-life" and the photovore titled "tank" there Basically a
        > 1381 photopopper circuit wired up to the TANK chassis and motors
        > which seems to work fine and creates a popper that can go where
        > normal poppers can't.
        >
        > Im also thinking about a perhaps using a circut that will allow the
        > tank to reverse BEAMant maybe? Im not sure I havent built one so I
        > dont know how tiny those can be made while being solar powered
        might
        > be too large for a tink tank base.

      • hempa_pett
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2006
          Thanks for the input guys! Starting with tactiles seems like a good
          idea. Perhaps some kind of combined tactile/edge feelers.. I've had
          very little luck (luck being the method of my circuitry) with light
          sensors so far. I have some scavenged mouse parts, but no matter how
          I try I can't even be sure which are the sensors and which are the
          light emitters. I figure that the ones with three legs are photo/IR
          diodes, right?

          Doing something with the turret would be cool! A cannon perhaps..
          Saw this robosapiens flamethrower mod. That'd be neat.

          I have a matching pair of tanks. How difficult would it be to put an
          IR emitter on their backs, both equipped to follow that. Would be
          fun to see them chasing each other. :)

          Another idea I was thinking about is if they could somehow steer
          uphill and build a little hill. A two tank "King of the hill" game...

          Or put something in a clear plastic ball that they could follow.
          These aren't exactly beamish ideas, i know.. more toy designs. I can
          hardly wait until someone comes up with an effective way for bots to
          resupply their own power without needing a special arena or extreme
          sunlight. :)

          /Henrik

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Elner" <computerfreaks@...> wrote:

            > The tracks on Solarbotics are great... you can see them on my sumo
            > called 'Challenger' on my site.

            > would probably also make it seek light, it would be extra cool if you
            > could turn the turret into a headbot for the light seeking part! Yep
            > that would be the way to go, a rotating turret seeking the light,
            > with the lock on LED at the end of the gun!

            That would be really cool the VSRTANKS *R have rotating turrets so they
            already have the mechanics for the turret movement 180 degrees think.
            There are other micro tanks with rotating turrets DigiQ makes some I
            think but they are much more expensive then the VSTANKs

            BTW wheres your site located Tom? Ive had my eye on those solarbotics
            treads set they seem cool. They can take the GM2 motors right? Could
            you solar power the GM2 gear motors our are those really better suited
            for battery power?
          • Tom Elner
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
              www.tombot.net if that doesn't work (server sems tempromental) then
              www.computerfreaks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/beam/challenger.html

              You wouldn't get much joy out of these using solar power. I tried a
              GM on my first headbot and it was not good. I have searched Ebay for
              tank tracks many a time and its just so difficult to find something
              that you can reuse and resize, the solarbotics ones are great for
              this.

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "John O" <ShadowXIX@...> wrote:

              > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Elner" <computerfreaks@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The tracks on Solarbotics are great... you can see them on my
              sumo
              > > called 'Challenger' on my site.
              >

              > > would probably also make it seek light, it would be extra cool if
              you
              > > could turn the turret into a headbot for the light seeking part!
              Yep
              > > that would be the way to go, a rotating turret seeking the light,
              > > with the lock on LED at the end of the gun!
              >

              > That would be really cool the VSRTANKS *R have rotating turrets so
              they
              > already have the mechanics for the turret movement 180 degrees
              think.
              > There are other micro tanks with rotating turrets DigiQ makes some
              > think but they are much more expensive then the VSTANKs
              >
              > BTW wheres your site located Tom? Ive had my eye on those
              solarbotics
              > treads set they seem cool. They can take the GM2 motors right?
              Could
              > you solar power the GM2 gear motors our are those really better
              suited
              > for battery power?

            • John O
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
                Ah you made the Queen ant hexapod :) Great site. You have some cool
                bots there.

                Challenger's treads looks good, I see you added rubber to the treads
                hows the traction on them after you did that?

                John O
                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Elner" <computerfreaks@...> wrote:

                > www.tombot.net if that doesn't work (server sems tempromental) then
                > www.computerfreaks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/beam/challenger.html
                >
                > You wouldn't get much joy out of these using solar power. I tried a
                > GM on my first headbot and it was not good. I have searched Ebay for
                > tank tracks many a time and its just so difficult to find something
                > that you can reuse and resize, the solarbotics ones are great for
                > this.
              • Tom Elner
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
                  Thanks!

                  The traction seems to be very good after adding the tryes, the only
                  test I have been able to perform is trying to push it with my hand
                  on a smooth surface, to which it resists a lot! Using the treads I
                  have at least 60% of the possible area of the robot in contact with
                  the ground.

                  I hope to finish the robot soon... when I find a bit more time!