Re: Tom Gray's BEAM PICLess Sumo-bot

  • firnagzen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      Ummmm. Four (probably silly) questions, but I have to ask. (I'm not
      all that experienced with reading circuits, and I'm building a
      minisumo, myself.)

      The two circles at the upper left and right corners of the circuit
      (above the two resistors) are connected to... what? 9 volts?

      Also, what are those 6 LEDs for? They don't seem to do anything...

      SW3 and SW4 just require a momentary 'high' to activate, right? I can
      replace them with an IR detector controlled transistor? (Or MOSFET?)

      Last question, what would be an appropiate *range* of values for the
      caps and resistors?

      Thanks in advance.

      Ps. Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the server is a tad
      irregular today? I keep getting the message that the 'Group beam
      cannot be retrieved.' or something like that.

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "J Wolfgang Goerlich" <jwgoerlich@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
        > The two circles at the upper left and right corners of the circuit
        > (above the two resistors) are connected to... what? 9 volts?

        5 Volt.

        > Also, what are those 6 LEDs for? They don't seem to do anything...

        The LEDs and capacitor provide a timing circuit for turning. See:

        Dual Sensor Sumobot Circuit
        http://www.solarbotics.com/resources/static/misc/l293d.php

        > SW3 and SW4 just require a momentary 'high' to activate, right? I
        > can replace them with an IR detector controlled transistor?

        Yes. Tom's IR sensors are documented in the "MAX314 Switches.gif"
        schematic.

        > Last question, what would be an appropiate *range* of values for
        > the caps and resistors?

        The RC circuits are for timing, which will depend largely on your
        mini-sumo's mechanics. Best to start with what Grant McKee and Tom
        Gray used, then add or substract time as desired.

        > Ps. Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the server is a tad
        > irregular today? I keep getting the message that the 'Group beam
        > cannot be retrieved.' or something like that.

        Agreed, this has been happening all week. One of our members must be
        archiving, me thinks.

        Regards,