Phase space

  • Joseph Charles
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      I'm interested in what is meant by the term phase space.

      I mugged my nephew and stole his physics textbook, and I find that a phase
      space diagram usually plots position(x) against velocity(y).

      In the case of an undamped pendulum this gives an ellipse.

      Mark Tilden spoke of the phase space of a nervous net, as did Tom Jenner
      with regard to his control circuits.

      What variables would be being plotted in a diagram of the phase space of a
      robotic control system?

      (I know M.T. ain't gonna answer, but I'd be interested in hearing from Tom, or
      anyone else who feels as though they can shed some light on this subject!)

      Jo C
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hello Jo,

        > I'm interested in what is meant by the term phase space.

        Phase space shows the evolution of the system using two variables over
        time. A while back, Tom Jenner suggested Chaos Theory Tamed, and this
        book really gives a good description of and a few methods for creating
        phase diagrams.

        > What variables would be being plotted in a diagram of the phase
        > space of a robotic control system?

        Brossl Hasslacher likely used several sets of variables. We know of
        two. The first was the active neuron time. The second set included the
        step taken and power supply voltage.

        One of my back-burner projects is to use the inverted pendulumn walker
        model to analyze a Beam walker and plot a phase diagram of the motion
        on different surfaces (e.g. carpet versus smooth floors).

        J Wolfgang Goerlich
      • Joseph Charles
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Thanks for the reply, Wolfgang. I'll check out the
          book.

          Your backburner must be as big as mine!

          Cheers

          Jo C

          Listen to over 20 online radio stations and watch the latest music videos on Yahoo! Music.
          http://au.launch.yahoo.com
        • wrigter
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            I use the term phase space also in a less formal sense as a
            measure of the number of possible definable states, levels
            or dynamic regimes that a system can be in.

            wilf

            > Thanks for the reply, Wolfgang. I'll check out the
            > book.
            >
            > Your backburner must be as big as mine!
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Jo C

            > Visit your group "beam" on the web.
            > Terms of Service.
          • Joseph Charles
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2006
              Thanks Wilf. I get the impression that this is the
              sense in which it is often used in the discussions I
              have read. I need to do a bit more reading on this and
              other related matters. (Oh, my poor head!)

              Jo

              --- wrigter <wrigter@...> wrote:

              I use the term phase space also in a less formal sense
              as a
              measure of the number of possible definable states,
              levels
              or dynamic regimes that a system can be in.

              Never miss an Instant Message - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
              http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mweb/index.html
            • Joseph Charles
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2006

                --- wrigter <wrigter@...> wrote:

                I use the term phase space also in a less formal sense
                as a
                measure of the number of possible definable states,
                levels
                or dynamic regimes that a system can be in.

                Yahoo! News: Get the latest news via video today!
                http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/