A novice question

  • forbiddenfruit8675309
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
      Hi all,

      I'm just getting into the world of BEAM and I'm a true novice.
      Learning a lot of things at once. I want to try a pummer, and I've
      found Wilf's schematic at
      http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/bot_pummer.html

      Here is the novice question. In the scematic, above the 74hC14, there
      is a symbol I don't recognize between pins 9 and 8. It is a box with
      1CM in it and R above it. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and it is a 10M
      Resistor... just looks odd.

      Thanks for helping a newbie. Hopefully I'll have more interesting and
      insightful questions in the future.

      Dave
      www.sharperspace.us
    • beamrx5
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
        Hi,

        regarding your question, thats a 10M resistor :)

        -ralph

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "forbiddenfruit8675309" <dharper@s...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm just getting into the world of BEAM and I'm a true novice.
        > Learning a lot of things at once. I want to try a pummer, and I've
        > found Wilf's schematic at
        > http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/bot_pummer.html
        >
        > Here is the novice question. In the scematic, above the 74hC14, there
        > is a symbol I don't recognize between pins 9 and 8. It is a box with
        > 1CM in it and R above it. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and it is a 10M
        > Resistor... just looks odd.
        >
        > Thanks for helping a newbie. Hopefully I'll have more interesting and
        > insightful questions in the future.
        >
        > Dave
        > www.sharperspace.us

      • wilf_nv
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
          Hi Dave,

          That schematic was patched together from several others and the
          resistor symbols are mixed up. Resistors are usually shown with a
          zigzag pattern but rectangular boxes are also used. The box in this
          case is just a 10M resistor with the text suggesting using various
          other values between 1M and 4.7M. The 100K resistor should be
          changed to 10K for brighter flashes or better yet be replaced with a
          small Si diode like a 1N4148 with the anode to +2V. Using the
          diode, the circuit can only be tested at +2V as a higher +V can
          result in damage to the LED and diode. Using the reistor, the LED is
          protected against > +2V supply voltage.

          hope that helps.

          wilf