Re: 4 motor turning

  • beamrx5
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
      > could i get a good detailed description on what makes a 4 motor
      walker
      > turn left or right while going forward? i've been plaing with mine,
      > chnging things, but he keeps falling over, or even jsut totally
      > ignoring the mismatched resistances of the 4 bicores.
      >
      > thanks,
      > Adam

      U cant go LEFT/RIGHT while goin forward.. that aint turning :) do you
      mean crabwalk???
    • adam
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
        i mean walking with a tendency to go right or left (if you wanna be
        that way about it, lol) like when you reverse and turn, but forward.
        it's possible, i've almost gotten it to work. i have successfully done
        it with a 2 motor, and i could easily do it with a 3 motor, but
        playing with the CC resistor on the 4 motor has gotten me no where but
        flipped upside down. i tried to use the same methods for the 4 motor
        as i did for the 2 motor circuit i wrote about for circuit cellar (if
        my professor ever turns it in, it may get published...) but that
        method doesn't work that well with a 4 motor.

        Adam

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "beamrx5" <beamrx5@y...> wrote:
        > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
        > > could i get a good detailed description on what makes a 4 motor
        > walker
        > > turn left or right while going forward? i've been plaing with mine,
        > > chnging things, but he keeps falling over, or even jsut totally
        > > ignoring the mismatched resistances of the 4 bicores.
        > >
        > > thanks,
        > > Adam
        >
        > U cant go LEFT/RIGHT while goin forward.. that aint turning :) do you
        > mean crabwalk???
      • Harold R. Ilano
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          Hi! Well, I'm assuming you're dealing with the Scoutwalker 2 right?
          Yeah, if you know my bot "Tank", well...that would be the answer (I
          hope). You can take a look at it at:

          http://haroldsbeambugs.solarbotics.net/Tank.html

          and the schematic I've used is from Solarbotics' Scoutwalker 2
          document (in pdf)(in download section), but I made it clear in my
          layout drawing at:

          http://haroldsbeambugs.solarbotics.net/TankSchematicDiagram.jpg

          I just hope this would help you out. BTW, I've also experienced the
          flipping over or like jumping 'til it falls on its back. It like a
          dying cockroach or something, hehe. Well, this would be all for now.
          Hoping to hear from your side soon. Goodluck and play with the
          resistor values (only!). ;)

          ....Harold.

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
          > i mean walking with a tendency to go right or left (if you wanna be
          > that way about it, lol) like when you reverse and turn, but
          forward.
          > it's possible, i've almost gotten it to work. i have successfully
          done
          > it with a 2 motor, and i could easily do it with a 3 motor, but
          > playing with the CC resistor on the 4 motor has gotten me no where
          but
          > flipped upside down. i tried to use the same methods for the 4
          motor
          > as i did for the 2 motor circuit i wrote about for circuit cellar
          (if
          > my professor ever turns it in, it may get published...) but that
          > method doesn't work that well with a 4 motor.
          >
          > Adam
          >
          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "beamrx5" <beamrx5@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
          > > > could i get a good detailed description on what makes a 4
          motor
          > > walker
          > > > turn left or right while going forward? i've been plaing with
          mine,
          > > > chnging things, but he keeps falling over, or even jsut totally
          > > > ignoring the mismatched resistances of the 4 bicores.
          > > >
          > > > thanks,
          > > > Adam
          > >
          > > U cant go LEFT/RIGHT while goin forward.. that aint turning :)
          do you
          > > mean crabwalk???
        • Harold R. Ilano
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
            And also, you're right... it can turn while still moving forward. Bu
            thay merans that only the other side walks forward while the other
            side reverses (backward). In this way, the bot will surely turn left
            or right, just like in a wheeled robot. Then you should refer to
            scoutwalker 2 from Solarbotics site or from my site (the link I've
            given you earlier). Goodluck there and keep it up! ;)

            ...Harold.

            P.S. If you're using a hobby servo, you should use centering springs
            or leg stops for each leg. I've used microservos for "Tank".