4 motor turning

  • adam
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
      could i get a good detailed description on what makes a 4 motor walker
      turn left or right while going forward? i've been plaing with mine,
      chnging things, but he keeps falling over, or even jsut totally
      ignoring the mismatched resistances of the 4 bicores.

      thanks,
      Adam
    • beamrx5
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
        > could i get a good detailed description on what makes a 4 motor
        walker
        > turn left or right while going forward? i've been plaing with mine,
        > chnging things, but he keeps falling over, or even jsut totally
        > ignoring the mismatched resistances of the 4 bicores.
        >
        > thanks,
        > Adam

        U cant go LEFT/RIGHT while goin forward.. that aint turning :) do you
        mean crabwalk???
      • adam
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          i mean walking with a tendency to go right or left (if you wanna be
          that way about it, lol) like when you reverse and turn, but forward.
          it's possible, i've almost gotten it to work. i have successfully done
          it with a 2 motor, and i could easily do it with a 3 motor, but
          playing with the CC resistor on the 4 motor has gotten me no where but
          flipped upside down. i tried to use the same methods for the 4 motor
          as i did for the 2 motor circuit i wrote about for circuit cellar (if
          my professor ever turns it in, it may get published...) but that
          method doesn't work that well with a 4 motor.

          Adam

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "beamrx5" <beamrx5@y...> wrote:
          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
          > > could i get a good detailed description on what makes a 4 motor
          > walker
          > > turn left or right while going forward? i've been plaing with mine,
          > > chnging things, but he keeps falling over, or even jsut totally
          > > ignoring the mismatched resistances of the 4 bicores.
          > >
          > > thanks,
          > > Adam
          >
          > U cant go LEFT/RIGHT while goin forward.. that aint turning :) do you
          > mean crabwalk???
        • Harold R. Ilano
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
            Hi! Well, I'm assuming you're dealing with the Scoutwalker 2 right?
            Yeah, if you know my bot "Tank", well...that would be the answer (I
            hope). You can take a look at it at:

            http://haroldsbeambugs.solarbotics.net/Tank.html

            and the schematic I've used is from Solarbotics' Scoutwalker 2
            document (in pdf)(in download section), but I made it clear in my
            layout drawing at:

            http://haroldsbeambugs.solarbotics.net/TankSchematicDiagram.jpg

            I just hope this would help you out. BTW, I've also experienced the
            flipping over or like jumping 'til it falls on its back. It like a
            dying cockroach or something, hehe. Well, this would be all for now.
            Hoping to hear from your side soon. Goodluck and play with the
            resistor values (only!). ;)

            ....Harold.

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
            > i mean walking with a tendency to go right or left (if you wanna be
            > that way about it, lol) like when you reverse and turn, but
            forward.
            > it's possible, i've almost gotten it to work. i have successfully
            done
            > it with a 2 motor, and i could easily do it with a 3 motor, but
            > playing with the CC resistor on the 4 motor has gotten me no where
            but
            > flipped upside down. i tried to use the same methods for the 4
            motor
            > as i did for the 2 motor circuit i wrote about for circuit cellar
            (if
            > my professor ever turns it in, it may get published...) but that
            > method doesn't work that well with a 4 motor.
            >
            > Adam
            >
            > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "beamrx5" <beamrx5@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <acharris@u...> wrote:
            > > > could i get a good detailed description on what makes a 4
            motor
            > > walker
            > > > turn left or right while going forward? i've been plaing with
            mine,
            > > > chnging things, but he keeps falling over, or even jsut totally
            > > > ignoring the mismatched resistances of the 4 bicores.
            > > >
            > > > thanks,
            > > > Adam
            > >
            > > U cant go LEFT/RIGHT while goin forward.. that aint turning :)
            do you
            > > mean crabwalk???
          • Harold R. Ilano
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
              And also, you're right... it can turn while still moving forward. Bu
              thay merans that only the other side walks forward while the other
              side reverses (backward). In this way, the bot will surely turn left
              or right, just like in a wheeled robot. Then you should refer to
              scoutwalker 2 from Solarbotics site or from my site (the link I've
              given you earlier). Goodluck there and keep it up! ;)

              ...Harold.

              P.S. If you're using a hobby servo, you should use centering springs
              or leg stops for each leg. I've used microservos for "Tank".