Any Hider clones out there?

  • Juan Cubillo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hello group,

      I'm thinking about building my own Hider. I would like it to be smaller than the original one, about 6cm x 6cm. If I like how it behaves when it's done I may even do an SMD version!
      Has anyone built their own Hider? Any suggestions for building it? Problems I may encounter?

      Juan Cubillo
      CostaRican Beamer!!!
    • beam_builder
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
        I have been cloning parts of Hider for some time, incidentally, if
        Bruce is reading this I think I found another mistake! I mostly
        build the subassemblies into simpler robots. I highly recommend the
        modular design it is really the only way to make sense of such a
        large circuit. I do recommend that you buy a bunch of connecters
        (jameco has a pretty good selection) since there are so many board-to-
        board connections. As for errors on the web site, there is a few
        that I have found. For example the diodes at the end of the spinal
        cord circuit appear to be backwards (or otherwise messed up I'll
        figure it out one of these days), and on the functional definitions
        page under outputs output H doesn't exist, I think Bruce meant K. I
        generally use simpler solutions (less beamish I guess) than Bruce
        does, for example for object detection I use pna4XXX (you know from
        solarbotics and digikey) and LM555's to generate the 38khz freq
        needed by the pnaXXXX. I also use regular motor drivers l293 (I
        think that's the #). Otherwise the site is awesome and correct. I
        think that Bruce should develop a kit or a book or something because
        he really seems innovative. Good luck!
        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Cubillo" <jacubilloro@c...> wrote:
        > Hello group,
        >
        > I'm thinking about building my own Hider. I would like it to be
        smaller than the original one, about 6cm x 6cm. If I like how it
        behaves when it's done I may even do an SMD version!
        > Has anyone built their own Hider? Any suggestions for building it?
        Problems I may encounter?

        > Juan Cubillo
        > CostaRican Beamer!!!
      • Bruce Robinson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
          beam_builder wrote:

          > I think that Bruce should develop a kit or
          > a book or something because he really seems
          > innovative.

          I've considered both. But I decided to put those ideas on hold and buy a
          sawmill instead. Now you know why I'm not as active on the list as I
          used to be :)

          Thanks for pointing out those errors on the web site. Some of the web
          pages don't display properly on the newer browsers, so I'm rebuilding
          the whole site (at the rate of about 1 page every 2 months).

          Bruce
        • Juan Cubillo
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
            BeamBuilder:
            I actually started building Hider about a year ago. I made the motor section using an L293D, but then I read in it's datasheet that it uses an active HIGH enable. The circuit is supposed to work with active LOW enable lines (74XX240). I never tested the circuit because I threw the PCB to the trash thinking it wouldn't work!
            Am I right???

            Bruce:
            Have you tested the new Spinal Cord and Vision sections???
            When I first read about Hider the first thing that came to my mind was that he should back up before turning. I learned this after my Lego Mindstorms bot fell from a table. That "learning experience" cost me $60 for a new RCX!!!

            Juan Cubillo
            CostaRican Beamer!!!