Re: snakes, inchworms, sidewinders and slithery

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
      Tom Walker wrote:
      > are there any videos of snakes etc (other than oism) (...)
      > but are there any sine snake, tilden snake, worms videos?

      As David mentioned, there was a video of Kyle Simmons showing his gPim
      device. I checked but, sadly, the link has gone dead.

      Darrell Johnson has a couple quick videos on his Mod-Worm 1.0 page.
      http://bicoreeos.solarbotics.net/mod_worm.html

      This "lamprey-based undulatory robot" might interest you, too.
      http://www.neurotechnology.neu.edu/lamprey.html

      J Wolfgang Goerlich
    • Tom Walker
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
        Firstly thanks for everyone's help,
        I had a look at the modworm thanks to that post a few days ago, and that kind of circuit/motor setup looks good to me.
        I don't want to blindly mimic someone's design, I'm already thinking about a modular click together design that doens't need costly (to me) joinmax servos
        I have 2 questions so far:
        the parts list only has 3 74hc240's for 6 motors,i presume the nihon motors are efficient enough to only need half a chip, but someone can correct me if i'm wrong. Will this circuit will still work with SB.com GM3's and a chip for each motor? any idea how the battery needs will be affected?
        thanks for the compliment on my qoute, everything after the '--' is automatically at the bottom of every email i write, sometimes i forget to take it off if i'm writing to an official place, but i don't care!
        --
        Tom
        ------------The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

        On 7/4/05, J Wolfgang Goerlich <jwgoerlich@...> wrote:
        Tom Walker wrote:
        > are there any videos of snakes etc (other than oism) (...)
        > but are there any sine snake, tilden snake, worms videos?

        As David mentioned, there was a video of Kyle Simmons showing his gPim
        device. I checked but, sadly, the link has gone dead.

        Darrell Johnson has a couple quick videos on his Mod-Worm 1.0 page.
        http://bicoreeos.solarbotics.net/mod_worm.html

        This "lamprey-based undulatory robot" might interest you, too.
        http://www.neurotechnology.neu.edu/lamprey.html

        J Wolfgang Goerlich

        Yahoo! Groups Links

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
          > Will this circuit will still work with SB.com
          > <http://SB.com>GM3's and a chip for each motor? any idea how the
          > battery needs will be affected?

          Should still work. Be careful not to stall the motors as the chip
          cannot handle that much current draw. Use DIP sockets so you can
          replace the chip if necessary.

          Solarbotics.net has the 74xx240 Monocore circuit:
          http://www.solarbotics.net/bftgu/starting_nvnet_connect.html

          There is also a 74xx245 buffered Monocore. This would reduce the part
          count and leave more buffers available for your motor driver. See:
          http://jwgoerlich.solarbotics.net/articles/biomorphic_lexicon/

          See also:

          Wilf Rigter, "Re: Monocore Question (was: Wilf's motor driver)", 30
          Mar 2005
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beam/message/48676

          J Wolfgang Goerlich
        • Tom Walker
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2005
            thanks again, I've printed all those sites and stuff and i'll read it later tonight