Re: New 2DOF head project!!!!! Not sure what circuit to use though...

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi Brett,

      Nice work so far on the head.

      I have been planning a 2DOF head for a while. I have decided to use
      a PSH (PowerSmartHead) design from Wilf.

      The PSH has evolved over the last few years and the latest design
      (version 3) complete with SE can be found at ...
      http://www.solarbotics.com/resources/static/bep/bep_app03_solar_head.
      php

      This is a 1DOF head. If you look at the layout it is colour coded so
      you can identify the different functions in the circuit.

      My plan was to remove the latching SE and the 'On' indicator,
      freeing up inverters on the HC chip. On this HC chip I would build
      two head control circuits and then use one half of the AC chip to
      control each motor.

      If you want a good 2DOF head layout schematic try this one ...
      http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/pix/SPSH_2DOF.gif
      It is from this page...
      http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_head_pshead.html
      You can find info and a history of PSH circuits here as well as a
      schematic version of the SPSH3 (with slightly different component
      values).

      Another option I was considering for 2DOF was the ShokHead circuit...
      http://downloads.solarbotics.com/misc/Shok_Photohead.gif
      I planning on building two shokhead circuits on a HC chip as well as
      a ShokToggle circuit.(see the SHOK TOGGLE section in...
      http://wilf.solarbotics.net/ShokTheory.htm )
      The two motors would be controlled each by one half of an AC chip.
      The Shok Toggle output would alternately enable each motor when the
      SE fires. The result would hopefully be a twitchy head that would
      Turn - Tilt - Turn - Tilt - etc...

      I will keep you updated with any personal successes. My next step is
      to draw up a 2DOF SPSHv3 with a large hysteresis SE (on at 5v off at
      2.5) and find a way to create a true 'Lock On' indicator instead of
      just an 'On' indicator.

      This involves getting some graph paper and staring at datasheets for
      many hours.

      All the best,

      Neil

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Hemes" <hemes@e...> wrote:
      > Hey all,
      >
      > I just started working on a new head robot. You can check out the
      pictures I have so far here:
      > http://breadboard.solarbotics.net/head_03.html
      >
      > I think I am going to use two Wilf Power Smart heads to power the
      head. If anyone has any advice or suggestions let me know. Maybe
      I'll use a microcontroller........ (got a couple sitting arround)

      > Thanks,
      > Brett
    • Joseph Charles
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        Neil

        Wilf has a 'lock-on' addition to the PSH in his folder in the files section.

        (I'd give you the direct link, but I get a huge unwieldy thing, that I know I can cut down in some way, but I don't know how to do it!)

        Jo

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
          Brett Hemes wrote:
          > http://breadboard.solarbotics.net/head_03.html

          Sharp work. I admire your skills at working with copper and brass. Two
          independent Power Smart head circuits will work. Still, with all this
          talk about nonlinear equations and such, I would be half tempted to try
          implementing one on an uC.

          J Wolfgang Goerlich

          Post Script: How did your Unibug 4.1 project turn out?
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
            Jo parenthetically penned:
            > (I'd give you the direct link, but I get a huge unwieldy thing,
            that
            > I know I can cut down in some way, but I don't know how to do it!)

            One can link to any group's messages, files, or link sections using
            the group name followed by the desired section. Note the section name
            must be in lowercase (Yahoo's case sensitive).

            For messages:

            Or for files:

            To specify a folder within the section, toss the name onto the end of
            the link. Thus, for Wilf's folder:

            To complete the link, copy the file name to the end of the folder.
            Because some browsers and email clients end the link at the next
            space, replace all space characters with %20. Thus so:

            20LOCKLED.gif

            Hope that helps,

            J Wolfgang Goerlich
          • Joseph Charles
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
              Ahhh! Thanks, Wolfgang. I'm sure you posted something similar a while back, but I couldn't find it. (Err...gotta admit I didn't look REALLY hard). Now I've no excuse.

              And thanks for saying "parenthetically", not "pathetically"...  : )

              Jo C

              J Wolfgang Goerlich <jwgoerlich@...> wrote:
              Jo parenthetically penned:
              > (I'd give you the direct link, but I get a huge unwieldy thing,
              that
              > I know I can cut down in some way, but I don't know how to do it!)

              One can link to any group's messages, files, or link sections using
              the group name followed by the desired section. Note the section name
              must be in lowercase (Yahoo's case sensitive).

              etc...