Re: [beam] Re: New 2DOF head project!!!!! Not sure what circuit to use though...

  • Adlai C
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2005
      I see, it'll rotate up/down as well. That sounds interesting.
      Are you making the head with a DPDT switch, so that you can switch between photophobic and phototropic? If you are, I think you could get some interesting behaviour by putting one axis on photophobic, and one on phototropic.

      Adlai C
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1 3:59 AM
        Hi Brett,

        Nice work so far on the head.

        I have been planning a 2DOF head for a while. I have decided to use
        a PSH (PowerSmartHead) design from Wilf.

        The PSH has evolved over the last few years and the latest design
        (version 3) complete with SE can be found at ...
        http://www.solarbotics.com/resources/static/bep/bep_app03_solar_head.
        php

        This is a 1DOF head. If you look at the layout it is colour coded so
        you can identify the different functions in the circuit.

        My plan was to remove the latching SE and the 'On' indicator,
        freeing up inverters on the HC chip. On this HC chip I would build
        two head control circuits and then use one half of the AC chip to
        control each motor.

        If you want a good 2DOF head layout schematic try this one ...
        http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/pix/SPSH_2DOF.gif
        It is from this page...
        http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_head_pshead.html
        You can find info and a history of PSH circuits here as well as a
        schematic version of the SPSH3 (with slightly different component
        values).

        Another option I was considering for 2DOF was the ShokHead circuit...
        http://downloads.solarbotics.com/misc/Shok_Photohead.gif
        I planning on building two shokhead circuits on a HC chip as well as
        a ShokToggle circuit.(see the SHOK TOGGLE section in...
        http://wilf.solarbotics.net/ShokTheory.htm )
        The two motors would be controlled each by one half of an AC chip.
        The Shok Toggle output would alternately enable each motor when the
        SE fires. The result would hopefully be a twitchy head that would
        Turn - Tilt - Turn - Tilt - etc...

        I will keep you updated with any personal successes. My next step is
        to draw up a 2DOF SPSHv3 with a large hysteresis SE (on at 5v off at
        2.5) and find a way to create a true 'Lock On' indicator instead of
        just an 'On' indicator.

        This involves getting some graph paper and staring at datasheets for
        many hours.

        All the best,

        Neil

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Hemes" <hemes@e...> wrote:
        > Hey all,
        >
        > I just started working on a new head robot. You can check out the
        pictures I have so far here:
        > http://breadboard.solarbotics.net/head_03.html
        >
        > I think I am going to use two Wilf Power Smart heads to power the
        head. If anyone has any advice or suggestions let me know. Maybe
        I'll use a microcontroller........ (got a couple sitting arround)

        > Thanks,
        > Brett
      • Joseph Charles
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1 5:57 AM
          Neil

          Wilf has a 'lock-on' addition to the PSH in his folder in the files section.

          (I'd give you the direct link, but I get a huge unwieldy thing, that I know I can cut down in some way, but I don't know how to do it!)

          Jo

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1 9:36 AM
            Brett Hemes wrote:
            > http://breadboard.solarbotics.net/head_03.html

            Sharp work. I admire your skills at working with copper and brass. Two
            independent Power Smart head circuits will work. Still, with all this
            talk about nonlinear equations and such, I would be half tempted to try
            implementing one on an uC.

            J Wolfgang Goerlich

            Post Script: How did your Unibug 4.1 project turn out?
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1 9:44 AM
              Jo parenthetically penned:
              > (I'd give you the direct link, but I get a huge unwieldy thing,
              that
              > I know I can cut down in some way, but I don't know how to do it!)

              One can link to any group's messages, files, or link sections using
              the group name followed by the desired section. Note the section name
              must be in lowercase (Yahoo's case sensitive).

              For messages:

              Or for files:

              To specify a folder within the section, toss the name onto the end of
              the link. Thus, for Wilf's folder:

              To complete the link, copy the file name to the end of the folder.
              Because some browsers and email clients end the link at the next
              space, replace all space characters with %20. Thus so:

              20LOCKLED.gif

              Hope that helps,

              J Wolfgang Goerlich
            • Joseph Charles
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2 5:33 AM
                Ahhh! Thanks, Wolfgang. I'm sure you posted something similar a while back, but I couldn't find it. (Err...gotta admit I didn't look REALLY hard). Now I've no excuse.

                And thanks for saying "parenthetically", not "pathetically"...  : )

                Jo C

                J Wolfgang Goerlich <jwgoerlich@...> wrote:
                Jo parenthetically penned:
                > (I'd give you the direct link, but I get a huge unwieldy thing,
                that
                > I know I can cut down in some way, but I don't know how to do it!)

                One can link to any group's messages, files, or link sections using
                the group name followed by the desired section. Note the section name
                must be in lowercase (Yahoo's case sensitive).

                etc...