Re: chaotic_art?

  • online_macaca
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2005
      Another idea of what you could do with this is to make a robot that
      would color other robots! Maybe even it could be made to color itself,
      in reaction to its surroundings, thus making a type of chaotic-
      chameleon effect...
    • Luca Crisi
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2005
        online_macaca wrote:

        >Another idea of what you could do with this is to make a robot that
        >would color other robots! Maybe even it could be made to color itself,
        >in reaction to its surroundings, thus making a type of chaotic-
        >chameleon effect...

        It suddenly came up into my mind, while reading your posting:

        The Artificial Chameleon!!

        OK, what's it?

        An RGB LED can show up an impressive range of colors.
        LEDs can also "colour" a piece of plexyglass (or similar
        stuff: PVC, perspex, ABS... something "glass alike"),
        you must just find the correct aligment between the LED
        and the Chameleon shield (it can also be a flat roof on
        the top of your bot)

        A sensor can be made with 3 LDRs facing downwards:

        Each of them has a "filter" glued to itself:
        one is Red, another one is Green, the last one is Blue.

        The filters can be cut away from actylene sheets or
        coloured tape (so you don't have to worry about glueing)
        or toys, or box packagings... the list of useable
        products is long, choose your best fit.

        Remember: transparency of filters is critical (or else,
        your sensor will be "blind")

        Maybe, you'll get better results with a focusing lens
        in front of your RGB sensor.

        A lens costs a few bucks or can be salvaged from a
        binocular, a telescope, a projector, ... again, the list
        is long

        Each of the filtered LDRs drives one of the internal diodes
        in the RGB LED

        So, when your bot will be on something green, it will
        become green, when it will be on something blue, it will
        become blue, and so on.

        The Artificial Chameleon!!

        And we're mimicking nature, once again...

        That was my two pennies thought of the day
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2005
          Hello Kyle,

          Interesting and timely idea. With WCRG right around the corner, I wager
          that chaotic BEAM robots would fair well in the art competition.
          Further, we were just discussing chaos circuits. Check out the threads
          below for some ideas and circuits.

          If you are coming to Steve's next weekend for the BuildFest, perhaps we
          can discuss this some. :-)

          J Wolfgang Goerlich

          1. John S, "Simple spiking Neuron Circuit question", 20 Apr 2005
          2. Adi Shavit, "Simple Chaotic Circuits", 28 Feb 2005
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2005
            > The Artificial Chameleon!!

            See also:

            Cadmium-Sulfide Color Sensor
            http://www.robotroom.com/ColorSensor.html

            Tom Gray's Color Experiments
            http://jwgoerlich.solarbotics.net/experiments/tg-color/default.htm

            J Wolfgang Goerlich
          • Craig
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2005
              Hi Wolfgang:

              Chaotic Beam robots would be great in the Arts and Innovation event... Any
              opportunity to see some creative robots is a great time, and the $40 entry
              fee will get you ton's of gifts, shirts, and a ring-side seat at some of the
              events!

              We've got a keynote speaker from the Canadian Space Agency, Star Wars
              stormtroopers, very cool speakers corner, activities for the spectators, and
              free lunch for all entrants!

              If any amateur beamers out there want to set up a table so the public could
              put something together or get involved, please let me know and we'd be
              pleased to provide someone space.

              Our Solar Saturday a few weeks back ( solarroller building ) was a lot of
              fun: perhaps we could haul back some of the participants there to show
              their stuff. How about we set up a 4x8 Jurassic Park for anyone interested?

              Craig Maynard
              Resident President, WCRS

              > Interesting and timely idea. With WCRG right around the corner, I wager
              > that chaotic BEAM robots would fair well in the art competition.
              > Further, we were just discussing chaos circuits. Check out the threads
              > below for some ideas and circuits.
              >
              > If you are coming to Steve's next weekend for the BuildFest, perhaps we
              > can discuss this some. :-)
              >
              > J Wolfgang Goerlich
              >

              > 1. John S, "Simple spiking Neuron Circuit question", 20 Apr 2005
              > 2. Adi Shavit, "Simple Chaotic Circuits", 28 Feb 2005
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Luca Crisi
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2005
                J Wolfgang Goerlich wrote:

                >See also:
                >
                >Cadmium-Sulfide Color Sensor
                >http://www.robotroom.com/ColorSensor.html

                I think the sensor I had in mind is the opposite of
                Dave's one: with a white LED in the center (not
                mentioned) and the cells around it, instad one cell
                and three leds around it.
                Very interesting, but then it's harder to determine
                the amount of R, G, and B to pass to the RGB LED.
                I think this approach needs a microcontroller and a
                little programming, while I was trying to keep things
                as straight as possible...
                Anyway, a good mention. I forgot this page for a
                long time.

                >Tom Gray's Color Experiments
                >http://jwgoerlich.solarbotics.net/experiments/tg-color/default.htm

                This one uses very fantasious sensors. I don't think
                that every Sunday's BEAMer can access these easily
                or immediately.
                I'm not critic, but I prefer something easily
                available at my GreenGrocer's or at my favourite
                Dumpster's... :)

                >J Wolfgang Goerlich

                Thanks for your feedback!
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2005
                  Hello Craig,

                  Looks like fun! I wish I was closer. Good luck with your games.

                  J Wolfgang Goerlich

                  Craig Maynard wrote:
                  > Chaotic Beam robots would be great in the Arts and Innovation
                  > event... Any opportunity to see some creative robots is a great
                  > time, and the $40 entry fee will get you ton's of gifts, shirts, and
                  > a ring-side seat at some of the events!

                  (...)
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2005
                    Hi Kyle,

                    Thanks for contributing this idea!  The waveforms do not have to be chaotic to be interesting.  For example two head positioning arms controlling the X and Y position of a single pen,  driven by  two sinesoidal waveforms of the same frequency and amplitude with 90 degree phase difference will draw a circle.
                    Changes in amplitude create a spiral, differences in amplitude an ellipse, differences in frequency and phase create flower patterns.

                    Now adding chaos is a delicate matter.  With a fine adjustment of coupling components the interaction between two oscillators can create some surprisingly complex designs.

                    Perhaps not a Mandlebug but your project will create some very aestetic eye candy.

                    Here are some more ideas.  Using two sawtooth waveforms you can uniformly scan a surface from side to side and top to bottom just like a video monitor. Tapping the pen down (Z axis) creates a pattern of dots just like the image on a screen.

                    With three actuators scanning a hot glue gun nozzle three dimensions, squirting drops of glue at the right time, you have a 3D printer that could create a 3D plastic object like a sphere.  This can also be controlled by simple oscillators but will be  much easier to control with a micro.    Lots a problems to solve but you get the idea.

                    Anyway thanks again Kyle for starting an excelent thread  with some exciting results to look forward to.

                    Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 9:03 PM
                    Subject: [beam] chaotic_art?

                    hi,
                    i stayed up late and ate lots of chocolate, and you know what that means....
                    ideas!  and i had one in particular that i wanted to share.
                    robot art has been an interesting concept. some based on solar operated hard drive arms moving pens, to little zippy bots with markers instead of caster wheels. ok, what about some good old beam chaos? some mabey-gates and bicores, microcores, amd some logic gates, all running with no apparent relation in terms of timing. -and moving a simple two or three motor "arm" that holds a sharpie on some paper... depending on the timing, there could be some very interesting results. even add sensors that affect core timing, especially light or sound sensors. put it in a place like the science center, or under a tree in the breeze. i beleve beam -or at least halve beam robots- could be a good way to get truly chaotic robo-art.

                    -kyle simmons

                                ......i might post some circuts later....

                  • Tom Gray
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2005

                      > This one uses very fantasious sensors. I don't think
                      > that every Sunday's BEAMer can access these easily
                      > or immediately.
                      No, they're pricy to buy and hard to come by as samples. I think
                      Frankendaddy had a set, too, but I don't know what he did with them.

                      > I'm not critic, but I prefer something easily
                      > available at my GreenGrocer's or at my favourite
                      > Dumpster's... :)
                      Me too. Have had a lot of fun with junkbots made from found stuff.
                      Tom
                    • David Treadwell
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                        Hey, BEAMERS, here is another outlet for robo-artistic aspirations:

                        http://www.rubbermonkey.org/dem/index.htm
                        A call for artists to attend "Deus Ex Machina: The Contraptionist Festival of Machines
                        Autonomously Creating Art and Sound"

                        and...

                        http://dorkbot.org/
                        An organization for "people doing strange things with electricity" (like us!). There are
                        several US and Canadian chapters, including Chicago, Seattle, DETROIT and Toronto

                        Could be fun!

                        --David

                        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <craig@j...> wrote:
                        > Hi Wolfgang:
                        >
                        > Chaotic Beam robots would be great in the Arts and Innovation event... Any
                        > opportunity to see some creative robots is a great time, and the $40 entry
                        > fee will get you ton's of gifts, shirts, and a ring-side seat at some of the
                        > events!
                        >
                        > We've got a keynote speaker from the Canadian Space Agency, Star Wars
                        > stormtroopers, very cool speakers corner, activities for the spectators, and
                        > free lunch for all entrants!
                        >
                        > If any amateur beamers out there want to set up a table so the public could
                        > put something together or get involved, please let me know and we'd be
                        > pleased to provide someone space.
                        >
                        > Our Solar Saturday a few weeks back ( solarroller building ) was a lot of
                        > fun: perhaps we could haul back some of the participants there to show
                        > their stuff. How about we set up a 4x8 Jurassic Park for anyone interested?
                        >
                        > Craig Maynard
                        > Resident President, WCRS

                      • Luca Crisi
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                          Tom Gray wrote:
                          This one uses very fantasious sensors. I don't think
                          that every Sunday's BEAMer can access these easily
                          or immediately.

                          No, they're pricy to buy and hard to come by as samples.
                          Exactly what I meant ;)
                            I think
                          Frankendaddy had a set, too, but I don't know what he did with them.

                          I'm not critic, but I prefer something easily
                          available at my GreenGrocer's or at my favourite
                          Dumpster's... :)

                          Me too.  Have had a lot of fun with junkbots made from found stuff.

                          And imagine if such a sensor, for some reason
                          breaks. You can't fix it. So, you have another
                          one handy or build your one in David's style.
                          And try to arrange it on your bot (if space
                          is critical, then problems will arise - David's
                          sensor is surely bigger, even using SMD LEDs and
                          a micro CdS)
                          Tom

                        • Juan A Cubillo
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 3, 2005
                            > > This one uses very fantasious sensors. I don't
                            > think
                            > > that every Sunday's BEAMer can access these easily
                            > > or immediately.
                            > No, they're pricy to buy and hard to come by as
                            > samples. I think
                            > Frankendaddy had a set, too, but I don't know what
                            > he did with them.

                            Check out this:
                            http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/MUX2.HTM
                            The interesting thing is how he uses trasparent legos
                            as color filters. We could do the same thing.

                            Juan Cubillo
                            CostaRican Beamer!!!
                            http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Luca Crisi
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 3, 2005
                              Juan A Cubillo wrote:

                              >Check out this:
                              >http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/MUX2.HTM
                              >The interesting thing is how he uses trasparent legos
                              >as color filters. We could do the same thing.
                              >
                              >Juan Cubillo
                              >CostaRican Beamer!!!
                              >http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/

                              A good finding.
                              Even though I was thinking to something
                              easier (and analogical):
                              a sensor that directly controls the voltage
                              of a led.
                              I think that an op amp or a transistor
                              between the sensor cell and the led segment
                              can do the the job well enough.

                              Nonetheless, the idea of the LEGO filters is
                              very nice. There are many transparent pieces in
                              various flavours... I think that a 2*2 FLAT
                              (used like a gel filter for cameras) or a
                              2*2 FULL (used as a container) piece is ideal
                              for most common LDRs or CdS'es (uh! what is
                              the plural for something that finishes in 'S'?
                              and that is an acronym, at the same time?)

                              "I am sorry for me not speaking a very good English"
                              says Senor Coconut in his "El Baile Aleman",
                              his tribute to Kraftwerk. A must have for all
                              Kraftwerk fan.
                            • MMM
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 31, 2005
                                COol. i liKE iT.

                                How about pointing some of the sensors downward to look at what was already drawn, that way the bot would react to its own creation.

                                MMM
                                (No advice on mabey-gates, etc...I'm new to robots and beam, but Amazon did finally ship-confirm my copy of JunkBots, Bugbots, and Bots. so that should be changing soon.)