beam snooze

  • Tom Walker
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22 2:08 AM
      hey group,
      My pummer si in my bedroom and i was wondering if there is a circuit
      that you can hit a button on, and it makes the pummer's light stay off
      (either kill the circuit or turn off the led) but then, when the light
      comes back in the morning, it comes back to life to charge and go
      again the next night.
      otherwise i tend to turn it off at night and forget to turn it on
      again the next morning
      Hope you can help,
      --
      Tom
      ------------The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22 2:33 AM
        Tom, what pummer circuit are you using?

        J Wolfgang Goerlich

        "Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted." -- Groucho Marx

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23 12:59 AM
          Hi Tom,

          The attached is an adaptation of the SB pummer. A white LED can be  now used as the new design has a voltage tripler circuit.

          The top section has be converted to a toggling latch. It is tristated while charging. The pummer section is not tristated but is turned off through R5/R7 while charging.  The dark SE triggers when it is quite dark. Once triggered, positive feedback through pin 18 turns the latch section rapidly fully on. Similarly the Pummer is turned off rapidly in the morning,

          The pushbutton has an alternate push on/ push off action so the pummer can be turned off or turned back on again.

          If a red LED or green LED is used change D2/D3 to 1N4148 SI diodes. A high capacity NiMHD battery should last longer.

          have fun

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25 2:18 PM
            Thanks to wilf for that circuit, If wolfgang is still interested, it
            is the plain jane SB pummer with a blue light and the stacked 3 cell
            nicd battery from SB also, it has a 3337 panel.
            Thanks,

            On 4/23/05, Wilf Rigter <wrigter@...> wrote:
            > Hi Tom,
            >
            > The attached is an adaptation of the SB pummer. A white LED can be now used
            > as the new design has a voltage tripler circuit.
            >
            > The top section has be converted to a toggling latch. It is tristated while
            > charging. The pummer section is not tristated but is turned off through
            > R5/R7 while charging. The dark SE triggers when it is quite dark. Once
            > triggered, positive feedback through pin 18 turns the latch section rapidly
            > fully on. Similarly the Pummer is turned off rapidly in the morning,
            >
            > The pushbutton has an alternate push on/ push off action so the pummer can
            > be turned off or turned back on again.
            >
            > If a red LED or green LED is used change D2/D3 to 1N4148 SI diodes. A high
            > capacity NiMHD battery should last longer.
            >
            > have fun

          • yahmez_alpha
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 17, 2013
              Thanks a lot for posting this circuit Wilf. I made a little toggle pummer for a gift and I must say I was very happy with the results. I used an ultraviolet LED and a vaseline (uranium) marble to make a fluorescent pummer. I added a 10k in series from pin 16 to 6 though, instead of a direct connection, otherwise It wouldn't toggle.

              Here are some photos:

              I do have one question though, I added a pot replacing the resistor from pin 18 to the enable in hopes of altering the dark turn on point. It comes on when it is fairly light outside yet. I tried a few other things too like a 100k resistor across the solar cell etc., but to no avail. Is there another way of altering the turn on light level?

              -James

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Wilf Rigter" <wrigter@...> wrote:

              > Hi Tom,
              >
              > The attached is an adaptation of the SB pummer. A white LED can be now used as the new design has a voltage tripler circuit.
              >
              > The top section has be converted to a toggling latch. It is tristated while charging. The pummer section is not tristated but is turned off through R5/R7 while charging. The dark SE triggers when it is quite dark. Once triggered, positive feedback through pin 18 turns the latch section rapidly fully on. Similarly the Pummer is turned off rapidly in the morning,
              >
              > The pushbutton has an alternate push on/ push off action so the pummer can be turned off or turned back on again.
              >
              > If a red LED or green LED is used change D2/D3 to 1N4148 SI diodes. A high capacity NiMHD battery should last longer.
              >
              > have fun

            • yahmez_alpha
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 17, 2013
                I forgot... the original circuit is not on yahoo groups anymore. I added it to my files section here if anyone is interested. I added a 10k resistor from pin 16 to 6 instead of the direct connection shown in this schematic of Wilf's.