Solar Cell Availability

  • Wayne Christensen
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2005
      I understand Panasonic has quit making their line of solar cells.
      Anyone got a line on equivilent cells? What do you do for solar cells??
      Wayne Christensen
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
        > What do you do for solar cells??

        I use the Polycrystalline cells. I have a stock pile of the Panasonic
        Suncerams SC2422s and SC3733s. I am willing to trade for
        Polycrystallines. Contact me off the list.

        J Wolfgang Goerlich
      • mycroft2152
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
          Hi J,

          Why the prefrence for the polycrystalline cells? Better perfrmance?
          Higher current? Higher Voltage?

          Myc

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "J Wolfgang Goerlich" <jwgoerlich@g...>

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
            > Why the prefrence for the polycrystalline cells? Better perfrmance?
            > Higher current? Higher Voltage?

            They are more rugged and better suited for solar powered Turbots.
            Polycrystalline also output a higher voltage under sunlight.
            Performance wise, I should run one under the SE dynamometer and
            measure.

            J Wolfgang Goerlich
          • duck04_1999
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
              Ok so polycrystalline cells are better? Someone told me they suck,
              and that they weren't good in, in house light levels. Is this true?
              I know they have high current output for the seemly low voltage for
              some. But are they really better?

              Regards,
              Bill

              wrote:

              > > Why the prefrence for the polycrystalline cells? Better
              perfrmance?
              > > Higher current? Higher Voltage?
              >
              > They are more rugged and better suited for solar powered Turbots.
              > Polycrystalline also output a higher voltage under sunlight.
              > Performance wise, I should run one under the SE dynamometer and
              > measure.
              >
              > J Wolfgang Goerlich
            • mycroft2152
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
                That would be helpful info. Anyone having both 'flavors" check the
                open circuit voltage and current side by side, in room light and
                under a 60 or 100 watt bulb?

                Myc

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "duck04_1999" <duck04_1999@y...> wrote:

                > Ok so polycrystalline cells are better? Someone told me they suck,
                > and that they weren't good in, in house light levels. Is this
                true?
                > I know they have high current output for the seemly low voltage
                for
                > some. But are they really better?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Bill
                >

                > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "J Wolfgang Goerlich"
                <jwgoerlich@g...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > > Why the prefrence for the polycrystalline cells? Better
                > perfrmance?
                > > > Higher current? Higher Voltage?
                > >
                > > They are more rugged and better suited for solar powered
                Turbots.
                > > Polycrystalline also output a higher voltage under sunlight.
                > > Performance wise, I should run one under the SE dynamometer and
                > > measure.
                > >
                > > J Wolfgang Goerlich
              • duck04_1999
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
                  Yea that would be great info for all of us if someone did find that
                  out. Would be nice to know so i could make a good choice on which to
                  get.

                  Regards,
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
                    Bill asked:
                    > Ok so polycrystalline cells are better?

                    To determine better or worse, you must consider the application.
                    Polycrystalline cells are better for solar-powered Turbots operating in
                    bright sunlight. I have heard that these cells are not as efficient
                    under indoors lighting, but I have not checked.

                    I will take some measurements this weekend. Time providing, I will run
                    a SE dynamometer experiment.

                    J Wolfgang Goerlich
                  • GrantM.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
                      I do have some measurements if anyone is interested. They were taken
                      outside in the sun June 2004 near the solstice.

                      The distilled version is that the polycrystalline cells generate a fair bit
                      more power in sunlight but at a certain low light threshold the amorphous
                      cells produce more power. The crossover point looks to be about 2' from a
                      150W halogen. More light than that and the polycrystalline wins less light
                      and the amorphous wins (at least based on output power).

                      GrantM.

                      At 07:08 PM 3/30/2005, you wrote:
                      >Yea that would be great info for all of us if someone did find that
                      >out. Would be nice to know so i could make a good choice on which to
                      >get.
                      >
                      >Regards,
                      >Bill
                      >
                      >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "mycroft2152" <mycroft2152@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > That would be helpful info. Anyone having both 'flavors" check the
                      > > open circuit voltage and current side by side, in room light and
                      > > under a 60 or 100 watt bulb?
                      > >
                      > > Myc
                    • duck04_1999
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
                        Hmmm that helps some but like can u check and see what the voltage
                        and current output is Open and Short circuit in room light. Such as
                        if the bot was sitting on ur desk and the light was say ur ceiling
                        light. Would like to see some values of numbers please.

                        Regards,
                        Bill

                        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "GrantM." <grant@s...> wrote:
                        > I do have some measurements if anyone is interested. They were
                        taken
                        > outside in the sun June 2004 near the solstice.
                        >
                        > The distilled version is that the polycrystalline cells generate a
                        fair bit
                        > more power in sunlight but at a certain low light threshold the
                        amorphous
                        > cells produce more power. The crossover point looks to be about
                        2' from a
                        > 150W halogen. More light than that and the polycrystalline wins
                        less light
                        > and the amorphous wins (at least based on output power).
                        >
                        > GrantM.
                        >

                        > At 07:08 PM 3/30/2005, you wrote:
                        > >Yea that would be great info for all of us if someone did find
                        that
                        > >out. Would be nice to know so i could make a good choice on which
                        > >get.
                        > >
                        > >Regards,
                        > >Bill
                        > >
                        > >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "mycroft2152" <mycroft2152@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > > > That would be helpful info. Anyone having both 'flavors" check
                        the
                        > > > open circuit voltage and current side by side, in room light
                        and
                        > > > under a 60 or 100 watt bulb?
                        > > >
                        > > > Myc
                      • Gord
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
                          Hey Bill
                          Ever finnish that pummer? Where are the pictures?
                          Gord

                          Stay tuned for 2005 ECRG updates.
                          www.robotgames.ca

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • duck04_1999
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                            Soon, i still getting some parts for it. But i plan on finishing it
                            soon. Work caught up with me in the pc area, along with my regular
                            normal job i have. So i been delayed on doing robotics. But i plan
                            on it this weekend, gettin to work on it.

                            regards,
                            Bill