Re: [beam] Nu Connections to Nv

  • Joseph Charles
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi Evan

      You could make the master bicore control the rear legs and slave the front. You will probably have to adjust the slave coupling resistors but that shouldn't be too hard.

      I don't know what scheme you have in mind for phototopism, but I had success with the above arrangement (on a basic walking frame attached to a breadboarded circuit with long wires, I still have to get around to completing the 'bot!) with Wilf's photoratio bicore circuit found in his folder in the files section.

      (If that doesn't get you there just go to the wilf_nv folder and scroll down.)

      An explanation of the circuit can be found here:

      And my reaction is here:

      Jo

      blueoriginstechno <web@...> wrote:

      Hello,
          I am working on building a 2-motor walker, and so far I have the
      Master and Slave bicores, and IMx reverser, and two functioning Nu
      neurons, which I plan to use to influence the bicores to induce
      phototropism. Currently, I have switches simulating the photodiodes
      that I plan to get later, and the Nu outputs are connected to the
      influence points of the master bicore. But I have been debating with
      myself as to which bicore the Nus should be influencing. For a while,
      I thought that it should be the master, but then I thought that since
      the slave will be controlling the back legs, and since the back legs
      provide the thrust, I should influence the slave. But the slave
      doesn't like to be influenced, or so it seems; it seems to follow the
      master no matter what. So now I am back to influencing the master. How
      am I supposed to make this walker turn? I don't know which bicore to
      connect the Nus to...

      Thanks,
      Evan Barnes

      Forgot to mention, the Nu neurons are the only things that have not
      been successfully integrated into the circuit. The IMx works, and so
      do the bicores. So far, all of this is on a few breadboards, and I
      don't have a frame to test it with.

    • blueoriginstechno
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
        Hey Jo, ( <- reminds me of the Blues song...)
        That's a good idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'll give that a try.

        http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wJDWQXlFKmDuGcyz3iiUxGpf_cfATOYP2Yt_E2h11CK1J0Z-KSkG475cwaHykD2srBztyxdRRo4rYgv9uUtzVcpy3rtkuzo/wilf_nv/photo%20ratio%20duty%20cycled%20bicore.gif

        > (If that doesn't get you there just go to the wilf_nv folder and
        scroll down.)

        > An explanation of the circuit can be found here:

        > And my reaction is here:

        > Jo
        >

        > blueoriginstechno <web@g...> wrote:
        >
        > Hello,
        > I am working on building a 2-motor walker, and so far I have the
        > Master and Slave bicores, and IMx reverser, and two functioning Nu
        > neurons, which I plan to use to influence the bicores to induce
        > phototropism. Currently, I have switches simulating the photodiodes
        > that I plan to get later, and the Nu outputs are connected to the
        > influence points of the master bicore. But I have been debating with
        > myself as to which bicore the Nus should be influencing. For a while,
        > I thought that it should be the master, but then I thought that since
        > the slave will be controlling the back legs, and since the back legs
        > provide the thrust, I should influence the slave. But the slave
        > doesn't like to be influenced, or so it seems; it seems to follow the
        > master no matter what. So now I am back to influencing the master. How
        > am I supposed to make this walker turn? I don't know which bicore to
        > connect the Nus to...
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Evan Barnes
        >
        > Forgot to mention, the Nu neurons are the only things that have not
        > been successfully integrated into the circuit. The IMx works, and so
        > do the bicores. So far, all of this is on a few breadboards, and I
        > don't have a frame to test it with.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > ---------------------------------
      • blueoriginstechno
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
          Hey again,
          I tried out the circuit that you sent me a link to, and it works
          really well! It really reduces the part count of my walker as well. I
          would have to change the timing resistors' values, and maybe put some
          resistors (or something that would do this) in between the inputs of
          the bicore and the phototransistors to get the timing more to my
          liking, but I still like this option much more than what I was using.
          Thanks!

          Evan

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "blueoriginstechno" <web@g...> wrote:

          > Hey Jo, ( <- reminds me of the Blues song...)
          > That's a good idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'll give that a try.
          >

          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi Evan
          > >
          > > You could make the master bicore control the rear legs and slave the
          > front. You will probably have to adjust the slave coupling resistors
          > but that shouldn't be too hard.
          > >
          > > I don't know what scheme you have in mind for phototopism, but I had
          > success with the above arrangement (on a basic walking frame attached
          > to a breadboarded circuit with long wires, I still have to get around
          > to completing the 'bot!) with Wilf's photoratio bicore circuit found
          > in his folder in the files section.

          http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wJDWQXlFKmDuGcyz3iiUxGpf_cfATOYP2Yt_E2h11CK1J0Z-KSkG475cwaHykD2srBztyxdRRo4rYgv9uUtzVcpy3rtkuzo/wilf_nv/photo%20ratio%20duty%20cycled%20bicore.gif

          > > (If that doesn't get you there just go to the wilf_nv folder and
          > scroll down.)
          > >
          > > An explanation of the circuit can be found here:

          > > And my reaction is here:

          > > Jo
          > >

          > > blueoriginstechno <web@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > > I am working on building a 2-motor walker, and so far I have the
          > > Master and Slave bicores, and IMx reverser, and two functioning Nu
          > > neurons, which I plan to use to influence the bicores to induce
          > > phototropism. Currently, I have switches simulating the photodiodes
          > > that I plan to get later, and the Nu outputs are connected to the
          > > influence points of the master bicore. But I have been debating with
          > > myself as to which bicore the Nus should be influencing. For a while,
          > > I thought that it should be the master, but then I thought that since
          > > the slave will be controlling the back legs, and since the back legs
          > > provide the thrust, I should influence the slave. But the slave
          > > doesn't like to be influenced, or so it seems; it seems to follow the
          > > master no matter what. So now I am back to influencing the master. How
          > > am I supposed to make this walker turn? I don't know which bicore to
          > > connect the Nus to...
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Evan Barnes
          > >
          > > Forgot to mention, the Nu neurons are the only things that have not
          > > been successfully integrated into the circuit. The IMx works, and so
          > > do the bicores. So far, all of this is on a few breadboards, and I
          > > don't have a frame to test it with.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

          > > ---------------------------------
          > > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
        • Joseph Charles
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
            Glad to have been of some help, Evan. Just so I know we're both on the same wavelength - Wilf's circuit is of a high frequency optical bicore influencing (via the diodes) the master bicore of the walker. The slave bicore, and its delay resistors are not shown (as this circuit could also be used for a head).

            So you're going to have three bicores - the optical, the master and the slave.

            You shouldn't need to change the optical bicore values, but will probably need to change the motor bicore resistor and capacitor values to suit your set-up.

            I hadn't thought of this until now but, how you implement reverse may become an issue. If you are using a separate chip for your Imx you will probably be alright, but if you are using a one chip design (e.g. Almost complete Walker) which uses one half of the '240 for the master/slave and two inverters from the other half for reversing (by tristating/enabling), you may have trouble as you would be tristating the photobicore while in reverse as it would be using the other two inverters from the reverser side. (Normally the reversing inverters are enabled in reverse but I'm sure you'd like your bot to see while going forward!)  As the photobicore is providing ground for the master bicore's timing resistors this will be a problem. I didn't try reversing with my test setup.

            Let me know how you go.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
              Hey,
              Glad you pointed that out! I would have just continued to have the
              phototransistors directly connected to the master bicore. It worked,
              but not too well. This is much better.
              Oh, the IMx is on a separate '240, so I think I should be fine.
              Speaking of the IMx, I noticed something about the reverser when it is
              activated that I am unsure of. When I induce action from the IMx, I
              notice that the master bicore seems to be the one that is reversing
              its process, but I know that, because of the way the IMx is hooked up,
              it should be the slave that is doing the reversing. I will try to
              clarify; when the master bicore is activating, say, the left indicator
              LED, and I hit the switch for the reverser, the master will stop
              activating the left LED and immediately switch to the right one.
              Shouldn't it be the slave that is doing this?

              Evan

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Charles <jodicalhon@y...> wrote:
              > Glad to have been of some help, Evan. Just so I know we're both on
              the same wavelength - Wilf's circuit is of a high frequency optical
              bicore influencing (via the diodes) the master bicore of the walker.
              The slave bicore, and its delay resistors are not shown (as this
              circuit could also be used for a head).

              > So you're going to have three bicores - the optical, the master and
              the slave.

              > You shouldn't need to change the optical bicore values, but will
              probably need to change the motor bicore resistor and capacitor values
              to suit your set-up.

              > I hadn't thought of this until now but, how you implement reverse
              may become an issue. If you are using a separate chip for your Imx you
              will probably be alright, but if you are using a one chip design (e.g.
              Almost complete Walker) which uses one half of the '240 for the
              master/slave and two inverters from the other half for reversing (by
              tristating/enabling), you may have trouble as you would be tristating
              the photobicore while in reverse as it would be using the other two
              inverters from the reverser side. (Normally the reversing inverters
              are enabled in reverse but I'm sure you'd like your bot to see while
              going forward!) As the photobicore is providing ground for the master
              bicore's timing resistors this will be a problem. I didn't try
              reversing with my test setup.

              > Let me know how you go.
              >
              > Jo
            • blueoriginstechno
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
                I forgot, in my last post, when I said that what I was doing with the
                phototransistors (directly connected to the master) didn't work to
                well, I meant that it didn't work to well in comparison to having a
                light-sensitive bicore influence the master. I just thought that what
                I had said before was a contradiction to my post before that, so I
                decided to clear it up.

                Evan

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "blueoriginstechno" <web@g...> wrote:

                > Hey,
                > Glad you pointed that out! I would have just continued to have the
                > phototransistors directly connected to the master bicore. It worked,
                > but not too well. This is much better.
                > Oh, the IMx is on a separate '240, so I think I should be fine.
                > Speaking of the IMx, I noticed something about the reverser when it is
                > activated that I am unsure of. When I induce action from the IMx, I
                > notice that the master bicore seems to be the one that is reversing
                > its process, but I know that, because of the way the IMx is hooked up,
                > it should be the slave that is doing the reversing. I will try to
                > clarify; when the master bicore is activating, say, the left indicator
                > LED, and I hit the switch for the reverser, the master will stop
                > activating the left LED and immediately switch to the right one.
                > Shouldn't it be the slave that is doing this?
                >

                > Evan
              • Joseph Charles
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Hi Evan

                  You are right. The master bicore should just keep doing its thing, the signals the slave is receiving are inverted by the IMx.

                  Without seeing your setup (and fiddling a bit!) I can't really say what may be going on. I imagine you've been changing your setup a bit implementing these circuit changes, so it may help to give your connections a once over.

                  Cheers

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Well, I plan to rebuild the IMx anyway. Right now, it is configured as
                    a plain, one-sensor, no turning capability reverser. I am going to
                    separate the enable lines, and make it so that when it backs up, it
                    turns away from the obstruction. So it will be getting a rather
                    serious check-up, when I have the time. School started back up today,
                    and I am back to the monotonous routine. Oh yeah, I have really been
                    playing with my setup a lot. Everytime I change something the whole
                    system seems to get reworked. Well, I enjoy it.

                    Evan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
                      And that's the main thing.

                      Cheers