A quick question!

  • Erik
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      Its time for a quickie!

      I have a 6V, 200mA transformer, and i want to power six highintensity
      UV LEDS with it, the problem is Ill need a resistor of som sorts so
      that I dont burn the leds up (5$ a piece!) Do you think 200 ohms is
      ok, or should I go higher? Or even lower?

      Thanks in advance
      /Erik
    • Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Erik" <firecrow@t...> wrote:
        > Do you think 200 ohms is
        > ok, or should I go higher? Or even lower?

        Do a google search for "led resistor calculator" and plug the values
        into one of those.
        Also, if you're using just one resistor for all the leds, remember
        that 6x 30mA 4.5V LEDs = 800mW, so you want a 1 Watt resistor. It
        might be easier to put an individual resistor on each led, that way
        you can use the normal 1/4 watt ones.
      • Justin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Justin" <archvillain@e...> wrote:

          > Also, if you're using just one resistor for all the leds, remember
          > that 6x 30mA 4.5V LEDs = 800mW, so you want a 1 Watt resistor. It
          > might be easier to put an individual resistor on each led, that
          way
          > you can use the normal 1/4 watt ones.

          Oops, ignore this part, 800mW dissipated through the LEDs doesn't
          mean 800mW dissapated through the resistor.
        • DrewB
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
            Carefull about using only one resistor for all the LEDs in a circuit.
            As more LED's are lit, the overall brightness of each will drop. Or inversely, as each LED is no longer lit the brightness of the other (lit) LED'd will increase.
            It should work fine for a circuit where only one or two are lit at one time, but if several LED's are used (with overlapping "Lit" times) there could be some problems

            DrewB

            Justin <archvillain@...> wrote:

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Justin" <archvillain@e...> wrote:

            > Also, if you're using just one resistor for all the leds, remember
            > that 6x 30mA 4.5V LEDs = 800mW, so you want a 1 Watt resistor. It
            > might be easier to put an individual resistor on each led, that
            way
            > you can use the normal 1/4 watt ones.

            Oops, ignore this part, 800mW dissipated through the LEDs doesn't
            mean 800mW dissapated through the resistor.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Erik
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
              Thanks for all the input, the google search provided most of what i
              needed, 200 ohm should set things right.