Re: Stryder electronics

  • everyonelovesmathias
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 3, 2004
      If anyone wants to see a time lapse of Stryder walking it can be found
      here:
      http://kineticfountain.com/Redefin5.jpg
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
        Hello Ty,

        I have enjoyed the thread and eagerly await seeing your Stryder. Here
        is my two cents:

        > "eosapiens like strider became possible when Tilden discovered
        > what he calls his unicore structure"

        Take a look at the original Unicore BEAMAnt 6 and the more recent
        Unicore Junkbots BEAMAnt. Both of these feature four Nvs divided into
        two Bicores. The original used a Multi-Master architecture, while the
        Junkbots BEAMAnt uses a Master-Slave architecture.

        In any event, the Unicore appears to be a term for a Nervous Net
        using one or more coupled Bicores with accompanying neurons. I view
        this term in much the same way as the Microcore. The Microcore being
        a Quadcore with additional parts and motors.

        Tilden goes on to say: "This brain is connected to a 'nervous net'
        body that can hold onto rhythms. Non-unicore Walkman dances around
        rhythms very effectively, but it's limited. It can't evolve much
        further. With the unicore, you can actually remember, and move, and
        close that loop, so you have a structure which is pretty close to
        being an artificial life-form."

        To which, I interpret as follows: Walkman had a Quadcore.
        Any "implex" or shortening of an Nv's pulse only affects that Nv one
        time. Assuming the Quadcore remains in a single process state, the
        original pre-defined timing reasserts itself on the next Core cycle.

        Stryder's Unicore (or two linked Master/Slave Bicores) have timing
        that varies dynamically. If one leg gets stuck it will change its
        Bicore controller's timing. That variance finds its way into the
        coupled Bicore. In the same way, this coupled Bicore also influences
        the originating Bicore controller. Thus, a pattern of variance can be
        setup and held within the Core for a time period, rather than
        being "erased" on the next cycle.

        Sometimes, this influencing gets out of control. This is why Roswell
        and some Stryder clones require a "pace-maker" Bicore. This causes
        the Nervous Net to settle back into the predefined timing.

        Stryder's head is a photo Bicore. When the head reaches a certain
        point, it triggers a sensor that changes the timing within the
        Bicores (via an IMx, I assume). The quote from the article, "The
        secret of the Unicore is the neck", is misleading. The secret is not
        the physical neck but, rather, the slaving or coupling resistors.

        Hope that helps,

        J Wolfgang Goerlich

        Related Links:

        1. BEAMuseum > BEAMant6
        http://wiki.solarbotics.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BEAMant6

        2. Junkbots > Secret Project: The BEAMAnt
        http://junkbots.solarbotics.net/_specialproject/index.htm
      • everyonelovesmathias
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
          Thanks for replying. I was hoping you would, as you seem to know a
          lot, and you have been around here for a while. I have a few
          questions, so here goes.

          > Sometimes, this influencing gets out of control. This is why Roswell
          > and some Stryder clones require a "pace-maker" Bicore. This causes
          > the Nervous Net to settle back into the predefined timing.

          Is this bicore the same as the one that switches between the enables
          and the head circuit?

          > Stryder's head is a photo Bicore. When the head reaches a certain
          > point, it triggers a sensor that changes the timing within the
          > Bicores (via an IMx, I assume). The quote from the article, "The
          > secret of the Unicore is the neck", is misleading. The secret is not
          > the physical neck but, rather, the slaving or coupling resistors.

          It is misleading - I thought that the unicore was the circuit that
          connects the head to the master/slave bicores. Now that I brought
          that up, do you think that a "unicore" would work as a head circuit?
          Also, what is an IMx? (sorry for my ignorance)

          > Hope that helps,

          Sure did.

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
            A couple of thoughts...

            In the smithsonian article, Tilden pushes a black button that kills
            the connection net, and turns the robot into a "perfect paranoid".
            How would this be done? Also did Stryder use infrared obstacle
            detectors?

            Thanks,
            Ty
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
              >> Sometimes, this influencing gets out of control. This is why
              >> Roswell and some Stryder clones require a "pace-maker" Bicore.

              > Is this bicore the same as the one that switches between the
              > enables and the head circuit?

              You almost lost me, but I think you are asking about Dave Hrynkiw's
              answer wherein he wrote that "there's a bicore that's alternately
              toggling the walk/head-seek circuit enables." No, this is not the
              same Bicore.

              To imagine Stryder's head, take the Unicore BEAMAnt and chop off the
              photo Bicore. (In the Junkbots BEAMAnt, this is labeled the "High
              frequency opto-receiver suspended Bicore".) Slow the frequency down a
              bit by increasing the capacitors and then drive the motors directly.
              If this is not clear, there is an entire chapter on Bicore Heads in
              the Junkbots book (schematic posted below).

              Now, open the "SunSeeker Adaption" documentation [3]. Look at the
              schematic on page 6. The Head/Body Interface Circuitry consists
              mainly of coupling resistors (R12) and isolation diodes running into
              Enables to cause the walker to turn (the IMx). To the right, there is
              another Bicore that drives the Enables to toggle between light
              seeking and walking.

              Take the Bicore Head schematic and replace the SunSeeker head. Use
              limit switches tied into the tactile sensors (R12 and diodes) to
              direct the walker. As Dave has described it, this was Stryder's head.

              By contrast, the "pace-maker" Bicore does not interface with the
              enables. It is coupled into the Master Bicores on the front legs. The
              pace-maker is akin to a Master-Master architecture. The Master
              controls front legs, and the Slave Bicore continues to drive the rear
              legs.

              > do you think that a "unicore" would work as a head circuit?

              Certainly. I have played around with similar designs on the
              breadboard. One in particular is very much like the Unicore, with
              four eyes (two in back, two in front) as Master Bicores influencing a
              motor Slave Bicore.

              It might be interesting to combine the head and pace-maker into a
              Unicore. Setup a Master-Slave architecture. Drive the head with the
              photo Bicore (Master), and slave in the pace-maker Bicore. You would
              still need limit switches or a slip connection to avoid the wires
              tangling.

              > Also, what is an IMx? (sorry for my ignorance)

              Inverting Multiplexor, acts like an XOR gate. The ScoutWalker II
              documentation has this is labeled as the "Tactile-activated
              Multiplexor."

              In effect, the IMx inverts the signals from the Master Bicore when
              activated. This causes the turning behavior in the four motor walker.
              Solarbotics has a BEP document that describes the circuit in more
              detail.

              Regards,

              J Wolfgang Goerlich

              Related Links:

              1. Junkbots > Secret Project: The BEAMAnt
              http://junkbots.solarbotics.net/_specialproject/index.htm

              2. Junkbots > Figure 10-7: The Bicore headbot schematic
              http://junkbots.solarbotics.net/images/corrections/F10-07.jpg

              3. ScoutWalker 2.2 / SunSeeker Adaption
              http://downloads.solarbotics.com/PDF/SW2_2_to_SSK_Adapter_instructions
              .pdf

              4. Solarbotics > ScoutWalker 2.2 Documentation
              http://downloads.solarbotics.com/PDF/kit8.pdf

              5. Jwgoerlich > Head Boy (Bicore Head w/ Limit Switches)
              http://jwgoerlich.solarbotics.net/robots/head_boy/default.htm

              6. Solarbotics BEP Documentation > The IMx Inverting Multiplexor
              http://downloads.solarbotics.com/PDF/Bicore_Experimenters_PCB/BEP-
              IMx.pdf
            • Dave Hrynkiw
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
                At 02:08 PM 10/4/2004, everyonelovesmathias wrote:
                > > Sometimes, this influencing gets out of control. This is why Roswell
                > > and some Stryder clones require a "pace-maker" Bicore. This causes
                > > the Nervous Net to settle back into the predefined timing.

                That's also a characteristic of the ...HCT? family. I can't recall FOR
                SURE, but I believe bicores built on a HCT chip don't "cross-talk" and
                phase-lock as nearly as easy as the HC series. It's been a while since I
                built my "Stryder Jr.", which suffered from lack of coordination. After
                talking to Mark, he pointed out that the HC series will self-synchronize
                much easier than an HCT chip. Of course, this is referring to multiple
                bicores on a single IC.

                >Is this bicore the same as the one that switches between the enables
                >and the head circuit?

                Nope. I'm pretty sure Mark used the HC, which self-synchronizes. My Stryder
                Jr finally used a separate "pacemaker", but I never finished the project to
                my own satisfaction. I really should pull it off the shelf one day and
                rebuild the brains...

                > > Stryder's head is a photo Bicore. When the head reaches a certain
                > > point, it triggers a sensor that changes the timing within the
                > > Bicores (via an IMx, I assume). The quote from the article, "The
                > > secret of the Unicore is the neck", is misleading. The secret is not
                > > the physical neck but, rather, the slaving or coupling resistors.
                >
                >It is misleading - I thought that the unicore was the circuit that
                >connects the head to the master/slave bicores.

                Mark developed the Unicore to be a single-chip light-seeking, reversing,
                motor-driving solution. Because of the low drive current, you must use very
                efficient motors.

                > Now that I brought
                >that up, do you think that a "unicore" would work as a head circuit?
                >Also, what is an IMx? (sorry for my ignorance)

                It can be configured as such, sure. But there are many, MANY superior head
                circuits now.

                An IMx is an Inverting Multiplexor, which is commonly used to invert the
                motor drive signals so a BEAM-based walker will reverse. It's not an IDEAL
                mux, because it really doesn't swap the signals - it just inverts the
                signal polarity, which has the same effect if the input signal is based on
                a 50% duty cycle (on as long as it's off). But, it works well most of the time.

                Regards,
                Dave
                "Um, no - that's H,R,Y,N,K,I,W. No, not K,I,U,U, K,I,_W_. Yes,
                that's right. Yes, I know it looks like "HOCKYRINK." Yup, only
                2 vowels. Pronounciation? _SMITH_".
                http://www.solarbotics.com
              • Dave Hrynkiw
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
                  At 06:06 PM 10/4/2004, everyonelovesmathias wrote:
                  >In the smithsonian article, Tilden pushes a black button that kills
                  >the connection net, and turns the robot into a "perfect paranoid".
                  >How would this be done? Also did Stryder use infrared obstacle
                  >detectors?

                  Since the chips are "enable-low" (they turn on when toggled to ground), all
                  he does is totally kill the bicore process so both the "walk" and "head"
                  ICs are on simultaneously.

                  Stryder used a pair of tactile sensors on the front shins, and a pair of IR
                  photodiodes - but nothing IR modulated.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Thank you all for your help. Just a couple more questions before my
                    experiments begin. Do you understand how this walked. As I said
                    before, I know its gait, but it seems that it would just move in
                    place. And also, would I be able to use the proposed head/pacemaker
                    unicore to drive the main motors unicore? (each out put driving one
                    master/slave)

                    Thanks again. I plan to make the junkbots beamant to understand the
                    "unicore" better first, then I will try to make the Stryder. See you
                    all later,
                    Ty
                  • hetfield9999
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 5, 2004
                      Hello! I've never built a Stryder walker yet. But my wild guess of
                      its walking behavior is that, it just slides on a smooth surface. But
                      I think some people made it walk much better than sliding. Depending
                      on leg and angle design/s, this bot can also lift its leg a bit
                      (each... perhaps?). Yes, the "M" in BEAM...which also by means of leg
                      and motor orientation. Well, I hope this message makes sense to you
                      bro! Happy experimenting and goodluck! Also, pls. keep us posted in
                      your Stryder's progress. Later... fellow BEAMer! ;)

                      ....Harold.

                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "everyonelovesmathias"
                      <everyonelovesmathias@y...> wrote:

                      > Thank you all for your help. Just a couple more questions before
                      my
                      > experiments begin. Do you understand how this walked. As I said
                      > before, I know its gait, but it seems that it would just move in
                      > place. And also, would I be able to use the proposed
                      head/pacemaker
                      > unicore to drive the main motors unicore? (each out put driving one
                      > master/slave)
                      >
                      > Thanks again. I plan to make the junkbots beamant to understand
                      the
                      > "unicore" better first, then I will try to make the Stryder. See
                      you
                      > all later,
                      > Ty
                    • Alex
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 5, 2004
                        Hello everyone,
                        Just thought I would make a little contribution to this thread, I am finding
                        it quite interesting actually, anyway I did a search on the internet and I
                        found this on one of Chiu-Yuan Fang's pages.

                        "The legs are splayed out from vertical at approximately 5 degrees at 90
                        degree spacing from each other, surrounding the "head" motor which points
                        up. The rear pair of legs are operating on a totally seperate microcore
                        from the front legs, which (surprisingly) allow it impressive control based
                        on the phasing of the front legs. Hard to believe, but true! Saw it with
                        mine own eyes (ah, the eyes...). The head mechanism is operated in turn
                        with the leg activations, so it stops, looks around, then goes on it's
                        merry old way."

                        Very interesting and a little confussing or was it confusing =S, anyway
                        enjoy.
                        BTW here is the url if you want to read the whole article
                        http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/6897/mail.html
                        its about half way down the page.

                        Hope this helps.
                        Cheers Alex

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 5, 2004
                          Hello Dave,

                          Was your "Stryder Jr." problem primarily one of HC versus HCT or one
                          of motor noise? I had the impression upon reading the Solarbotics
                          gallery that it was motor noise. You wrote that the "inherent noise
                          of a pair of master/slave bicores may be too much for a walking gait
                          to converge."

                          John deVries posted a Hogfather-esque message a while back about
                          Roswell. Heck if I can find it now, though. He pointed out that the
                          Stryder-style Nervous Net did not scale to the larger platform. The
                          motor load incurred from the higher weight prevented the convergence.
                          I had the idea, again my impression, that the 'mechanical pull out of
                          sync' was too much for the 'HC single-chip Bicores sync' to
                          compensate for.

                          Does ScoutWalker II use a resistor between the Master Bicores (R8) to
                          achieve synchronization? If so, would this be a solution for Stryder
                          clone?

                          Regards,

                          J Wolfgang Goerlich

                          I wrote:
                          > Sometimes, this influencing gets out of control. This is why
                          > Roswell and some Stryder clones require a "pace-maker" Bicore.
                          > This causes the Nervous Net to settle back into the predefined
                          > timing.

                          Dave replied:
                          > It's been a while since I built my "Stryder Jr.", which suffered
                          > from lack of coordination. After talking to Mark, he pointed out
                          > that the HC series will self-synchronize much easier than an HCT
                          > chip.

                          "Stryder Jr" from the Solarbotics Gallery, Circa 2001.

                          Stryder Jr. (1998-9) I (Dave Hrynkiw) built Stryder Jr. to see how
                          reproducible Mark's Stryder Bicore arrangement was. Surprisingly, I
                          struggled over a period of months to get a reliable walking gait out
                          of the basic platform. After much geometry adjusting, electronics
                          swapping and swearing, Mr. Tilden was nice enough to point out that
                          the inherent noise of a pair of master/slave bicores may be too much
                          for a walking gait to converge. The answer to this was to install a
                          simple 2 Nv suspended bicore oscillator to act as a pace-maker for
                          the whole system. With that installed, Stryder Jr. is a much better
                          behaved little robot.

                          Oh, and the planned head (like the original) has been scrapped. It
                          was that, or resign myself to the fact that this robot would never be
                          finished!

                          As built, it uses 4 modified Canon DG12 gearhead motors, with
                          aluminum adapter blocks machined to interface an RPM-type Namiki
                          pager motor to the 1:132 gear reduction units. The brains are cut
                          from a set of Mark Tilden SMT Gold Fabricated PCB's (no, these aren't
                          for sale - they were a gift!), using a suspended bicore for each of
                          the front legs, which have slave bicores for the rear legs. The
                          master suspended bicores are "paced" by a 2-neuron oscillator that
                          sets the master frequency. Power is provided by a (now-dead) set of
                          NiMH rechargables cushioned by a pair of 0.33F 2.5V AL gold
                          capacitors wired in series. Those NiMH batteries do crap out if
                          they're not charged properly! Overall dimensions are 8cm x 8cm x 8cm.
                          Once rebuilt with good batteries, video will be put online.
                        • Dave Hrynkiw
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 5, 2004
                            At 02:10 AM 10/5/2004, hetfield9999 wrote:
                            >Hello! I've never built a Stryder walker yet. But my wild guess of
                            >its walking behavior is that, it just slides on a smooth surface. But
                            >I think some people made it walk much better than sliding. Depending
                            >on leg and angle design/s, this bot can also lift its leg a bit
                            >(each... perhaps?).

                            It does not slide; it actually has a very nice, defined stride. Because of
                            the very shallow angle of attack the motors have, it appears to slide, but
                            yes, only on a smooth surface!

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 5, 2004
                              At 10:23 AM 10/5/2004, J Wolfgang Goerlich wrote:
                              >Was your "Stryder Jr." problem primarily one of HC versus HCT or one
                              >of motor noise? I had the impression upon reading the Solarbotics
                              >gallery that it was motor noise. You wrote that the "inherent noise
                              >of a pair of master/slave bicores may be too much for a walking gait
                              >to converge."

                              Not having the robot in front of me (it's in storage...somewhere...), I
                              recall it being HCT. Mark and I originally thought it was motor noise until
                              I consulted with Mark at the following LANL workshop, where he pointed out
                              the self-synchronizing ability of the HC, and my boards were actually using
                              HCT. Using the "pacemaker" helped out a lot, but I think I could have done
                              just as well or better with HC chips, and/or a "CC" resistor (see below).

                              >The
                              >motor load incurred from the higher weight prevented the convergence.

                              I'm not convinced of that. I've seen video of Roswell working, and think
                              it's major problems were because of excessively powerful motors which made
                              it that much more difficult to control without damaging itself.

                              >I had the idea, again my impression, that the 'mechanical pull out of
                              >sync' was too much for the 'HC single-chip Bicores sync' to
                              >compensate for.
                              >
                              >Does ScoutWalker II use a resistor between the Master Bicores (R8) to
                              >achieve synchronization? If so, would this be a solution for Stryder
                              >clone?

                              The SWII does use a "CC" (corpus colosum) resistor to tie the left and
                              right halfs of the bicore "brain" together. This has worked out pretty
                              well, and was the solution I was working towards on Stryder Jr. before I
                              got onto other projects.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 5, 2004
                                Thanks a lot Dave! ...for some infos on Stryder stuff. I knew that
                                Stryder doesn't slide purely. It just lifts its legs a little
                                clearance from the ground or surface that can't be seen on a
                                distance. Well, maybe I could build a Stryder bot too sometime, and
                                post it on my site. Also, I'll try to make it as good as possible
                                using my wild imaginations and using the microcore technology.
                                Hmmm....that makes sense. But anyway, I'm experimenting with Black
                                Vermin's different gaits and its sensors to be more accurate,
                                effective and useful. Sometimes, it gets stuck somewhere until its
                                batteries went out. I hate it when that happens! So, I'm still
                                observing its behavior as it tries to adapt to its environment, just
                                like our own children does. Wish me luck! :-) Cheers!

                                ....Harold.

                              • Bill Noble
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 6, 2004
                                  >http://www.manufacturingcenter.com/dfx/archives/0201/0201rob.asp

                                  Whats an eosapien?

                                  BillN

                                • everyonelovesmathias
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 6, 2004
                                    Have you ever noticed that antenna looking wire that sticks up in some
                                    some pictures of Stryder? I never thought of it until now... but
                                    could that be sending the signals to the motor drivers to avoid the
                                    twisting of wires?

                                    How would this be done in a circuit? Also, does Stryder have a single
                                    tactile sensor on his head?
                                  • Dave Hrynkiw
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 6, 2004
                                      At 02:42 PM 10/6/2004, everyonelovesmathias wrote:
                                      >Have you ever noticed that antenna looking wire that sticks up in some
                                      >some pictures of Stryder? I never thought of it until now... but
                                      >could that be sending the signals to the motor drivers to avoid the
                                      >twisting of wires?

                                      Nope, that's a grabbing wire - nothing electronic about it. Mark's design
                                      has plenty of bend allowance in the wire, so there's no threat of twisting
                                      the wires to breakage.

                                      >How would this be done in a circuit? Also, does Stryder have a single
                                      >tactile sensor on his head?

                                      The only sensors in the head are the photodiodes, and the "neck rod" for
                                      indicating extreme head swing.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 6, 2004
                                        I was just wondering, does the CC resister take the place of the pace-
                                        maker? If not, where is the pace maker in the Scoutwalker II
                                        schematic? Where WOULD it be if it had one? And which works better,
                                        the CC resistor or the pace-maker.

                                        What is meant by it gets too out of control? Does the gait get
                                        inefficient due to the signal bouncing back and forth too wildly?

                                        And what should be used, a 74HC, HCT, or AC 240?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Ty
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 6, 2004
                                          > Does the CC resister take the place of the pace-maker?

                                          Yes.

                                          > If not, where is the pace maker in the Scoutwalker II
                                          > schematic? Where WOULD it be if it had one?

                                          It would be roughly where the CC resistor (R8) is. This pace-maker
                                          Bicore would connect up to both Master Bicores via coupling resistors.

                                          > And which works better, the CC resistor or the pace-maker.

                                          The CC resistor, judging strictly on part count and the performance
                                          demonstrated by the ScoutWalker II.

                                          > What is meant by it gets too out of control? Does the gait get
                                          > inefficient due to the signal bouncing back and forth too wildly?

                                          The legs get out of sync and the walker does not move forward. Dave
                                          Hrynkiw's earlier response has convinced me that I overestimated this
                                          effect.

                                          > And what should be used, a 74HC, HCT, or AC 240?

                                          If you are pursuing the self-syncing model, use a single 74HC240 to
                                          build both Master Bicores. If you are driving the motors directly
                                          from the '240 chip (as seen in ScoutWalker II and the Beam-online
                                          Stryder), then use the 74AC240. This chip can source more current
                                          than the HC.

                                          Which reminds me, anyone know what motor driver Tilden used in the
                                          original Stryder?

                                          J Wolfgang Goerlich
                                        • Dave Hrynkiw
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 6, 2004
                                            At 09:48 PM 10/6/2004, J Wolfgang Goerlich wrote:

                                            >Which reminds me, anyone know what motor driver Tilden used in the
                                            >original Stryder?

                                            I'm fairly certain they're the HC variety of the SMT SOIC wide-pack '240. I
                                            have a great overhead shot of the Head electronics of the Stryder, but I
                                            spent better part of an hour today searching for it. When it surfaces, I'll
                                            scan and post it.