engineering samples

  • jonathan_p_whelan
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 19, 2004
      Just finished ordering a few samples off of the Texas Instruments
      (www.ti.com). Does anyone know of any other companies/pages that
      give out free samples of electric components/ dc motors/ solar
      cells/ anything BEAM-related?

      Thanks
      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 19, 2004
        Jonathan wrote:
        > Does anyone know of any other companies/pages that give out free
        > samples of electric components/ dc motors/ solar cells/
        > anything BEAM-related?

        Check out Tom Gray's "URLs for free components":
        http://beamdream.solarbotics.net/Tutorials/FreeStuff.htm

        J Wolfgang Goerlich
      • jonathan_p_whelan
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 19, 2004
          Thanks a lot!

          > Check out Tom Gray's "URLs for free components":
          > http://beamdream.solarbotics.net/Tutorials/FreeStuff.htm
          >
          > J Wolfgang Goerlich
        • Tom Gray
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 19, 2004
            I should update that page. National Semi didn't charge for the components, but did charge me $8 US for shipping and handling.
            Keep BEAMing and dreaming
            Tom
            > Does anyone know of any other companies/pages that give out free
            > samples of electric components/ dc motors/ solar cells/
            > anything BEAM-related?

            Check out Tom Gray's "URLs for free components":
            http://beamdream.solarbotics.net/Tutorials/FreeStuff.htm

            J Wolfgang Goerlich

          • Juan A Cubillo
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 19, 2004
              Hello Group,

              Could anyone please tell me the difference between a
              PIC 16F84 and a 16F84A?
              Also, Can I burn the same program (*.hex) on both
              versions?

              Thanks

              =====
              Juan Cubillo
              CostaRican Beamer!!!
              http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/

            • GrantM.
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 20, 2004
                It appears the same program will work but you will want to check this pdf
                for details:

                http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30071b.pdf

                It's still a bit of a wonder to me why the 84 is still being used in the
                presence of the 628:

                http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/16F628.html

                Or the Atmel AVR line for that matter.

                GrantM.

                At 11:17 PM 7/19/2004, you wrote:
                > Hello Group,
                >
                >Could anyone please tell me the difference between a
                >PIC 16F84 and a 16F84A?
                >Also, Can I burn the same program (*.hex) on both
                >versions?
                >
                >Thanks
                >

                >=====
                >Juan Cubillo
                >CostaRican Beamer!!!
                >http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/

              • Gord
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 21, 2004
                  Hey all

                  I'm ready to make the leap and try making my own PCB's. I have the
                  Kinsten photo sensitive PCB's . I have a UV light ready and the ferric
                  cloride and everything ready. Only question is what is the developer
                  mentioned in line 13 under number 4 The process steps ? at
                  www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm

                  Is it the same developer that can be used for litho plates in print
                  shops? (This I can get) .

                  Thanks for any help in advance.

                  Gord

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Bryan
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 21, 2004
                    I just ordered some DAC's and Voltage Regulator samples from National a
                    few weeks ago and there was no shipping charge. hmmm....

                    On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 00:01, Tom Gray wrote:
                    > I should update that page. National Semi didn't charge for the
                    > components, but did charge me $8 US for shipping and handling.
                    > Keep BEAMing and dreaming
                    > Tom

                  • Gord
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 21, 2004
                      Anyone use these boards? The ones I bought only have Japanese writing
                      so I can't tell what developer I should use.

                      --- Gord <gord_1812@...> wrote:
                      > Hey all
                      >
                      > I'm ready to make the leap and try making my own PCB's. I have the
                      > Kinsten photo sensitive PCB's . I have a UV light ready and the
                      > ferric
                      > cloride and everything ready. Only question is what is the developer
                      > mentioned in line 13 under number 4 The process steps ? at
                      > www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm
                      >
                      > Is it the same developer that can be used for litho plates in print
                      > shops? (This I can get) .
                      >
                      > Thanks for any help in advance.
                      >
                      > Gord

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Tom Gray
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 21, 2004
                        Maybe I was charged because they had to ship outside USA?...
                        Tom
                        I just ordered some DAC's and Voltage Regulator samples from National a
                        few weeks ago and there was no shipping charge. hmmm....

                        On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 00:01, Tom Gray wrote:
                        > I should update that page. National Semi didn't charge for the
                        > components, but did charge me $8 US for shipping and handling.
                        > Keep BEAMing and dreaming
                        > Tom

                      • Bruce Robinson
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 21, 2004
                          Gord wrote:

                          > Anyone use these boards? The ones I bought only have Japanese writing
                          > so I can't tell what developer I should use.
                          >
                          > --- Gord <gord_1812@...> wrote:
                          >> Hey all
                          >>
                          >> I'm ready to make the leap and try making my own PCB's. I have the
                          >> Kinsten photo sensitive PCB's . I have a UV light ready and the
                          >> ferric
                          >> cloride and everything ready. Only question is what is the developer
                          >> mentioned in line 13 under number 4 The process steps ? at
                          >> www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm

                          Hey, Gord, look at item 3.6 on
                          <http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm>

                          The developer is sodium metasilicate.

                          I use the MG Chemical system, with pretty good results. The key to
                          successful boards is really good artwork. I also make a point of being
                          as consistent as possible -- and writing everything down. I measure
                          exposure time to the nearest 5 seconds, use a standard UV light tube,
                          and maintain my etchant bath at the same temperature each time a make a
                          board.

                          I also suggest you start with a really small board until you get your
                          system working. My first board was 3" x 5" and I ended up removing 50%
                          of the traces! My subsequent boards were 20 mm square and by the 4th one
                          I was getting excellent results.

                          Bruce
                        • Jason Fay
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 22, 2004
                            I've got a buddy who's been making his own pcb's using this process for audio stuff recently.  I forwarded your questions, but I guarantee no answers.

                            Jason

                            --- Gord <gord_1812@...> wrote:
                            > Hey all
                            >
                            > I'm ready to make the leap and try making my own PCB's.  I have the
                            > Kinsten photo sensitive PCB's . I have a UV light ready and the
                            > ferric
                            > cloride and everything ready.  Only question is what is the developer
                            > mentioned in line 13 under number 4 The process steps ? at
                            > www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm
                            >
                            > Is it the same developer that can be used for litho plates in print
                            > shops?   (This I can get)  .
                            >
                            > Thanks for any help in advance.
                            >
                            > Gord

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Gord
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 22, 2004
                              Thanks Bruce.
                              Gord

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 22, 2004
                                Thanks Jason

                                Gord

                                --- Jason Fay <rndmsfree@...> wrote:
                                > I've got a buddy who's been making his own pcb's using this process
                                > for audio stuff recently. I forwarded your questions, but I
                                > guarantee no answers.
                                >
                                > Jason
                                >
                                > Gord <gord_1812@...> wrote:
                                > Anyone use these boards? The ones I bought only have Japanese
                                > writing
                                > so I can't tell what developer I should use.
                                >

                                > --- Gord <gord_1812@...> wrote:
                                > > Hey all
                                > >
                                > > I'm ready to make the leap and try making my own PCB's. I have the
                                > > Kinsten photo sensitive PCB's . I have a UV light ready and the
                                > > ferric
                                > > cloride and everything ready. Only question is what is the
                                > developer
                                > > mentioned in line 13 under number 4 The process steps ? at
                                > > www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm
                                > >
                                > > Is it the same developer that can be used for litho plates in print
                                > > shops? (This I can get) .
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for any help in advance.
                                > >
                                > > Gord

                                > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                >
                                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                > Service.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Matt
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 28, 2004
                                  Does anyone have any good suggestions for things to request besides
                                  the usual bicore chips and such? There are too many parts to look
                                  through if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

                                  On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:56:37 -0000, jonathan_p_whelan
                                  <jonathan_p_whelan@...> wrote:
                                  > Just finished ordering a few samples off of the Texas Instruments
                                  > (www.ti.com). Does anyone know of any other companies/pages that
                                  > give out free samples of electric components/ dc motors/ solar
                                  > cells/ anything BEAM-related?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Jonathan
                                • nford85
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 28, 2004
                                    Order some samples from Microchip.com - their PIC ucontrollers are
                                    really good. You can make some nice beam-ucontroller hybrid bots.

                                    --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Matt <matt.proc@g...> wrote:
                                    > Does anyone have any good suggestions for things to request besides
                                    > the usual bicore chips and such? There are too many parts to look
                                    > through if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.
                                    >

                                    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:56:37 -0000, jonathan_p_whelan
                                    > <jonathan_p_whelan@y...> wrote:
                                    > > Just finished ordering a few samples off of the Texas Instruments
                                    > > (www.ti.com). Does anyone know of any other companies/pages that
                                    > > give out free samples of electric components/ dc motors/ solar
                                    > > cells/ anything BEAM-related?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks
                                    > > Jonathan
                                  • Jason Fay
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 28, 2004

                                      I really know knothing of microcontrollers, but would be interested in fiddling around with some.  Which Pic ucontrollers would you recommend sampling and why (if you have the time)?

                                      Jason

                                      Do you Yahoo!?
                                    • Gord
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 28, 2004
                                        I pick a project I'd like to build then order only the parts I can't
                                        find at the local electronics store. Why order just for the sake of
                                        getting frre parts that I may never use.?

                                        I love the samples programs and never try to abuse them so they will
                                        always be there for us all.

                                        Gord

                                        --- Matt <matt.proc@...> wrote:

                                        > Does anyone have any good suggestions for things to request besides
                                        > the usual bicore chips and such? There are too many parts to look
                                        > through if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.
                                        >

                                        > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:56:37 -0000, jonathan_p_whelan
                                        > <jonathan_p_whelan@...> wrote:
                                        > > Just finished ordering a few samples off of the Texas Instruments
                                        > > (www.ti.com). Does anyone know of any other companies/pages that
                                        > > give out free samples of electric components/ dc motors/ solar
                                        > > cells/ anything BEAM-related?
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks
                                        > > Jonathan

                                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                      • Frank van der Hulst (Staff WG)
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 28, 2004
                                          Message
                                          Yeah, me too. At first I thought "Wahoo! Freebies!" Now I've got lots of freebies sitting around the place that I never used.

                                          Sometimes when I order some freebies that I need, I'll also include a couple of "maybe-usefuls" in the order. That's because I figure that freight is actually the largest part of the cost for the supplier. A couple of extra chips in an existing shipment cost the supplier next to nothing, whereas ordering even one extra chip as a second order would cost lots.
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 28, 2004
                                            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fay <rndmsfree@y...> wrote:

                                            > I really know knothing of microcontrollers, but would be interested
                                            in fiddling around with some. Which Pic ucontrollers would you
                                            recommend sampling and why (if you have the time)?

                                            > Jason

                                            As I see it, there are 2 ways to get PICs for experimental purposes:

                                            1) if you just want to learn about PICs get a general purpose PIC
                                            which a ton of people have documented and written tutorials on.
                                            These PICs are also supported by most programmers.
                                            eg. 16F84(A), 16F628, 16F877

                                            2) if you're adventurous/experienced go for the "newer" 18 series
                                            PICs. These ucontrollers usually have the newest features of the
                                            PICmicro series of ucontrollers and have an extended instruction
                                            set. This however means that they are more difficult to learn, there
                                            is not as much documentation as other PICs and some programmers dont
                                            support these.
                                          • jonathan_p_whelan
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 29, 2004
                                              Yeah, does anyone have any good sites to get samples? I've already
                                              gone through the ones below and I don't want to ask for more from
                                              them (yet). Anymore? Thanks

                                              Jonathan

                                              > Check out Tom Gray's "URLs for free components":
                                              > http://beamdream.solarbotics.net/Tutorials/FreeStuff.htm
                                              >
                                              > J Wolfgang Goerlich
                                            • Gord
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 29, 2004
                                                Hey all
                                                There is a web site that has usefull post script files for printing
                                                your own PBC's somewhere. I lost the url and can't rember who's site it
                                                is. Anyone know the site I'm talking about?

                                                Gord

                                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                              • Bill Bigge
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 29, 2004
                                                  Message
                                                  It might have been mine?

                                                  Bill

                                                  ---------
                                                  Bill Bigge
                                                  wb23@...
                                                  +44(0)1273 877621
                                                  ---------

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 29, 2004
                                                    Hey Bill
                                                    Your site isn't the one I was looking for but it's fantastic!!
                                                    You have most of the circits I'd like to try making a PCB for.
                                                    Thanks for your help.

                                                    Gord

                                                    --- Bill Bigge <bill@...> wrote:

                                                    > It might have been mine?
                                                    >
                                                    > http://boardroom.solarbotics.net
                                                    >
                                                    > Bill
                                                    >

                                                    > ---------
                                                    > Bill Bigge
                                                    > wb23@...
                                                    > +44(0)1273 877621
                                                    > ---------

                                                  • WilliamChops Westfield
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 29, 2004
                                                      On Jul 29, 2004, at 7:02 AM, Bill Bigge wrote:

                                                      > It might have been mine?
                                                      > http://boardroom.solarbotics.net

                                                      those are nice. What sort of tools are you using to draw PCBs that are
                                                      almost all copper (with just cuts in between)? All the tools I've seen
                                                      are pretty anxious to lay down nice narrow traces instead, and take a
                                                      lot of manual manipulation to get rid of the empty space...

                                                      BillW
                                                    • Bill Bigge
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 30, 2004
                                                        Message
                                                        I'm using Adobe Illustrator which is a graphic design application.  The reason is that I have a copy,  I've been using it for years and so I can work very quickly with it.  Its also quite good if you are concentrating on the 'A' in beam as it has a lot of good tools for making neat graphics.

                                                        The one big downside is that it doesn't produce Gerber files or Drill files so I can't send the designs off to be manufactured but I tend to make most of my boards myself anyway.

                                                        Bill

                                                        ---------
                                                        Bill Bigge
                                                        wb23@...
                                                        +44(0)1273 877621
                                                        ---------

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 3, 2004
                                                          On Jul 29, 2004, at 6:58 AM, Gord wrote:

                                                          > There is a web site that has usefull post script files for printing
                                                          > your own PBC's somewhere. I lost the url and can't rember who's site it
                                                          > is. Anyone know the site I'm talking about?

                                                          You're not talking about the eagle-beam-0304.zip file I uploaded in the
                                                          files section some time ago, are you? It has some PCB layouts done
                                                          using cadsoft's Eagle layout tool, which is available in freeware,
                                                          "lite", and "non-profit" versions in addition to it's full-priced
                                                          version (http://www.cadsoftusa.com) (now available for Macs, too!)

                                                          BillW
                                                        • Gord
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 4, 2004
                                                            Could be Bill.
                                                            I looked in the files section and didn't see the file.

                                                            Gord