RE: [beam] Pummer (sp?)

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
      Always a pleasure to answer interesting questions.

      It is a well known fact that R/C oscillators in BEAM are sensitive to
      external noise which can cause "false" triggering. We have discussed how
      that triggering may also be useful for providing feedback from a struggling
      motor. But what if the triggering signal is periodic for example a signal
      from another oscillator. Now the "false" triggering is no longer random but
      regular and if the frequency of the external oscillator is close to the
      triggered oscillator the frequencies of the two oscillators will become
      "locked". This principle of frequency locking is also called synchronizing
      and is used in all kinds of applications including the SYNC signals which
      synchronize the video data of your PC with the monitor you are reading this
      message on 8^). In nature, an example of frequency locking is the
      synchronization of the moon's spin with it's orbit earth and always shows
      the same face towards the earth or similarly the planet Mercury's day which
      has become exactly the same duration as it's year. Oscillator phase locking
      is similar to frequency locking but fixes the relationship between
      transition. It is also possible for locking to occur on multiples of
      frequencies so that one oscillator frequency becomes an exact multiple of
      that of another oscillator.

      So if the pummer flashers are close in frequency or multiple frequencies
      they will eventually synchronize and blink at the same time ( not very
      interesting because it's very predictable) But if frequencies are adjusted
      so that the they are NOT harmonically related, they will still interact but
      in very complex ways which can be truly random (bifurcation) or have (long
      period) repeating patterns which span many cycles (like whale songs). Such
      systems of frequencies are often exquisitely sensitive to external
      parameters like voltage or temperature but if you are lucky and adjusted
      them just right can be robust patterns which are very pleasing to the eye.

      enjoy

      wilf

    • john simmons
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
        Sometimes I get these e-mails with an attached diagram but it either shows
        LEDPUMP2.gif or a torn picture icon. Is it much trouble to send them another
        way or what can I do? I have to use the computers at school. If these are
        Wilfster designs then they are in the Wilf archives aren't they?
        Thanks, JohnS

        >From: "David Perry" <davidperry@...>
        >To: <beam@egroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)
        >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:34:06 +1000
        >
        >Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.
        >
        >David

      • Ben Hitchcock
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
          Hi,

          You can go here:
          http://www.egroups.com/group/beam
          to view the group over the web. Attachments are decoded and displayed on
          your screen, so if you find a particularly tasty circuit you can go to
          this page and see what all the fuss is about.

          hth,
          Ben

          http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben