Complimentary MOSFETs...

  • Richard Caudle
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
      Well met, BEAM cats and kittens!

      I've once again returned from the mists of time with a
      quandry. I'm attempting to construct CMOS inverters
      (see attachment), but it keeps coming up as a short
      circuit. I got some Fairchild FDC6333-C dual MOSFET's
      today. They're in a slick, although small, SOT-23-6
      package and operate at 30VDC at 2A! The plan is to
      add diodes to the gates on the input side. We just
      got back from seeing Spider-man2 and I didn;t have
      time to try anything yet.

      On the job!

      Richard

      p.s. It really rocks, BTW.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
        Hi Richard,

        With complimentary FETs connected that way you have to switch the common gate node very rapidly or else you generate some high shoot-through current from Vcc to Gnd when both are partially on.

        The gate node has significant capacitance so the driver must be able to source and sink the charge in order to keeping switching times short.