programming chip trouble

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
      hey group
      Ive got a couple questions bout a microcontroller. I am using a 16F84A and in order
      to connect it to the programming board, i need to hook some wires up to specifc pins
      on the 16F84A, but the labels on the data sheet of the chip and the wires are
      different. Can anyone tell me what pins these abreviations stand for?
      VPP1
      LOW
      DAT
      CLK
      VCC-positive pwr
      GND- neg pwr
      im gonna look for another data sheet for the 16F84A, can anyone give me a
      reference? thxs for any input!!!
      Jake
    • Tom Blitch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
        VPP is the program votage usuallly 13 volts. I've
        never heard of a LOW pin is but DAT is data and CLK is
        the clock. Go to the microchip website and look up the
        number there. They have different abbreviations that
        what you have here.

        --- Jake <phiber_optik02@...> wrote:
        > hey group
        > Ive got a couple questions bout a microcontroller. I
        > am using a 16F84A and in order
        > to connect it to the programming board, i need to
        > hook some wires up to specifc pins
        > on the 16F84A, but the labels on the data sheet of
        > the chip and the wires are
        > different. Can anyone tell me what pins these
        > abreviations stand for?
        > VPP1
        > LOW
        > DAT
        > CLK
        > VCC-positive pwr
        > GND- neg pwr
        > im gonna look for another data sheet for the 16F84A,
        > can anyone give me a
        > reference? thxs for any input!!!
        > Jake

        =====
        Tom Blitch

        http://www.CircuitStampede.tk

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Jake
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
          so where would you put the data lead on the chip? ill check the website where i got
          the chip. i got a whole bunch of pinouts and it hasnt really helped. i hope i find the
          LOW pin...
          thxs
          jake

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
            ok, i looked on the site and it was described thusly:
            ICSP.
            Click Options/ICSP Mode. Does not support low voltage programming. The LOW pin
            is an open collector output, which when active will pull the LOW pin to ground. It can
            be used in ICSP to hold the LVP pin low while programming, or the OSC1 pin, or any
            part on the target board which may need control (in this manner) during
            programming.
            I have no idea what this means.
            thxs for ANY help whatsoever
            jake

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Jake" <phiber_optik02@h...> wrote:
            > so where would you put the data lead on the chip? ill check the website where i got
            > the chip. i got a whole bunch of pinouts and it hasnt really helped. i hope i find the
            > LOW pin...
            > thxs
            > jake
            >
            > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blitch <tom_headoflead@y...> wrote:
            > > VPP is the program votage usuallly 13 volts. I've
            > > never heard of a LOW pin is but DAT is data and CLK is
            > > the clock. Go to the microchip website and look up the
            > > number there. They have different abbreviations that
            > > what you have here.
            > >
            > > --- Jake <phiber_optik02@h...> wrote:
            > > > hey group
            > > > Ive got a couple questions bout a microcontroller. I
            > > > am using a 16F84A and in order
            > > > to connect it to the programming board, i need to
            > > > hook some wires up to specifc pins
            > > > on the 16F84A, but the labels on the data sheet of
            > > > the chip and the wires are
            > > > different. Can anyone tell me what pins these
            > > > abreviations stand for?
            > > > VPP1
            > > > LOW
            > > > DAT
            > > > CLK
            > > > VCC-positive pwr
            > > > GND- neg pwr
            > > > im gonna look for another data sheet for the 16F84A,
            > > > can anyone give me a
            > > > reference? thxs for any input!!!
            > > > Jake
            > > >

            > > =====
            > > Tom Blitch
            > >
            > > http://www.CircuitStampede.tk

          • WilliamChops Westfield
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
              On Jun 30, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Jake wrote:

              > Click Options/ICSP Mode. Does not support low voltage programming.
              > The LOW pin is an open collector output, which when active will pull
              > the LOW pin to ground. It can be used in ICSP to hold the LVP pin low
              > while programming, or the OSC1 pin, or any part on the target board
              > which may need control (in this manner) during programming.

              ICSP is In Circuit Serial Programming. I think this is saying that the
              LOW pin an be connected to circuitry on your completed card to
              disconnect the PIC from other devices, if necessary. If you're going
              to program your 16F84a without it connected to anything, you don't need
              to connect LOW anywhere. (that's how I interpret it.)
              CLK gets connected to RB6
              DAT gets connected to RB7
              VPPP1 gets connected to MCLR/

              It's all explained in the ICSP guide:
              http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30277d.pdf

              BillW
            • nford85
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1 7:35 PM
                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, William "Chops" Westfield <westfw@m...>
                wrote:

                > On Jun 30, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Jake wrote:
                >
                > > Click Options/ICSP Mode. Does not support low voltage
                programming.
                > > The LOW pin is an open collector output, which when active will
                pull
                > > the LOW pin to ground. It can be used in ICSP to hold the LVP
                pin low
                > > while programming, or the OSC1 pin, or any part on the target
                board
                > > which may need control (in this manner) during programming.
                > >

                > ICSP is In Circuit Serial Programming. I think this is saying that
                the
                > LOW pin an be connected to circuitry on your completed card to
                > disconnect the PIC from other devices, if necessary. If you're
                going
                > to program your 16F84a without it connected to anything, you don't
                need
                > to connect LOW anywhere. (that's how I interpret it.)
                > CLK gets connected to RB6
                > DAT gets connected to RB7
                > VPPP1 gets connected to MCLR/
                >
                > It's all explained in the ICSP guide:
                > http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30277d.pdf
                >
                > BillW

                Hi

                The info above is mostly correct except for the stuff about the low
                pin.

                There are two main methods of programming PIC microcontrollers - low
                voltage programming and high voltage programming. In high voltage
                programming the MCLR/ pin is brought to 13V before any programming is
                done. In low voltage programming it is unnecessary to bring the
                MCLR/ pin to 13V, but it is necessary to connect the low wire to the
                lvp pin on the PIC.

                Currently low voltage programming is only supported by the "newer"
                PICs. Since the 16F84A is a relatively old microprocessor it doesnt
                support low voltage programming, so the lvp(low) wire shouldn't need
                to be connected to anything.

                If you have more questions about PICs you should address them to the
                piclist group - they are REALLY helpful with this kind of stuff.

                Nick