RE: [beam] Pummer (sp?)

  • Daniel Grace
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 23 8:58 PM
      --- Wilf Rigter <Wilf.Rigter@...> wrote:
      > Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use
      > different resistor values
      > to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two
      > frequencies with pots can
      > lead to interesting random or long period patterns.
      >

      > enjoy
      >
      > wilf

      Pardon my ignorance, Wilf, but what is phase locking?
      If it is anything like what it sounds like, it could
      be the problem in a circuit I had almost given up on.

      Thanks,
      ~Daniel

      =====
      ICQ # 39402143

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24 6:58 AM
        Always a pleasure to answer interesting questions.

        It is a well known fact that R/C oscillators in BEAM are sensitive to
        external noise which can cause "false" triggering. We have discussed how
        that triggering may also be useful for providing feedback from a struggling
        motor. But what if the triggering signal is periodic for example a signal
        from another oscillator. Now the "false" triggering is no longer random but
        regular and if the frequency of the external oscillator is close to the
        triggered oscillator the frequencies of the two oscillators will become
        "locked". This principle of frequency locking is also called synchronizing
        and is used in all kinds of applications including the SYNC signals which
        synchronize the video data of your PC with the monitor you are reading this
        message on 8^). In nature, an example of frequency locking is the
        synchronization of the moon's spin with it's orbit earth and always shows
        the same face towards the earth or similarly the planet Mercury's day which
        has become exactly the same duration as it's year. Oscillator phase locking
        is similar to frequency locking but fixes the relationship between
        transition. It is also possible for locking to occur on multiples of
        frequencies so that one oscillator frequency becomes an exact multiple of
        that of another oscillator.

        So if the pummer flashers are close in frequency or multiple frequencies
        they will eventually synchronize and blink at the same time ( not very
        interesting because it's very predictable) But if frequencies are adjusted
        so that the they are NOT harmonically related, they will still interact but
        in very complex ways which can be truly random (bifurcation) or have (long
        period) repeating patterns which span many cycles (like whale songs). Such
        systems of frequencies are often exquisitely sensitive to external
        parameters like voltage or temperature but if you are lucky and adjusted
        them just right can be robust patterns which are very pleasing to the eye.

        enjoy

        wilf

      • john simmons
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24 4:54 PM
          Sometimes I get these e-mails with an attached diagram but it either shows
          LEDPUMP2.gif or a torn picture icon. Is it much trouble to send them another
          way or what can I do? I have to use the computers at school. If these are
          Wilfster designs then they are in the Wilf archives aren't they?
          Thanks, JohnS

          >From: "David Perry" <davidperry@...>
          >To: <beam@egroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)
          >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:34:06 +1000
          >
          >Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.
          >
          >David

        • Ben Hitchcock
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24 5:23 PM
            Hi,

            You can go here:
            http://www.egroups.com/group/beam
            to view the group over the web. Attachments are decoded and displayed on
            your screen, so if you find a particularly tasty circuit you can go to
            this page and see what all the fuss is about.

            hth,
            Ben

            http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben