Re: [beam] Bad news Ben

  • Ben Hitchcock
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2000
      Hi William,

      > I got the other Cricket circuit working great. The guy I gave it to was
      > so excited about hi "robot." He even gave me $5 so I could switch out the
      > 2200uf to a 1f.

      :-) Glad to see a happy customer.

      > BUT, the problem is that I have ANOTHER party tomorrow, and
      > I need another present. I had grand ideas about a mag bot with the FRED
      > circuit, but I looks like a no go.

      I've learnt the hard way that BEAM robots that are intended as presents
      always take three times longer than you thought that they would... this
      includes my original dragonfly.

      > I've taken a length wire a wrapped it
      > around a screw. It's a great magnet just using my battery pack, but when I
      > plug it into a FRED engine. It doesn't work. While nothing is connected in
      > the motors place the cap voltage hovers around 1.5v. When I stick in the
      > inductor where the motor goes, the voltage shoots up to around 2.4v and sits
      > there, modulating a bit as the FLED blinks.

      Thar be strange goings on in them thar hills....
      OK, first things first. Have you tried a motor instead of a coil? A high
      internal impedance cap will behave in this manner, and will not let a
      motor fire properly.

      Also, what's the resistance of your coil? It should be above, say, 2
      ohms, and ideally should be about the same as your motor (typically about
      7 ohms).

      If your motor works fine and the coil doesn't work,
      then here's what to try:
      Grab a 0.1 uF (or 0.22 or 0.5 uF) cap and stick it in as many different
      places as you can think of. Across the coil leads would be a good start,
      also try putting it from ground to the FLED, from ground to the base of
      the PNP transistor, anywhere that you can think of. This highly
      scientific approach can sometimes fix a reluctant circuit. In case you
      hadn't already guessed, I don't know what the problem is.

      > I don't understand why the
      > inductor would behave any different from the motor. Any hints help or
      > suggestions? Oh, well. I guess I can run to the shack and build another
      > cricket.

      Well, since I'm writing this on Monday, I guess you must have already
      given the present or fixed the problem...
      Maybe next time.

      Good luck,

      Ben