Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)

  • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
      In a message dated 7/22/00 5:50:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
      Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

      << Hello HF,

      Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
      ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
      dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
      Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
      object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
      must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
      to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
      lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

      enjoy

      wilf

      I've got a question about this D1_Reg_Flasher circuit. Actually two.
      1.) What are the slashes in the "powersaver 2v flasher" all about? Those
      aren't caps are they?

      2.) I'm assuming that you can add more than one "powersaver 2v flasher"
      circuit to this pummer, so you don't waste a bunch of gates. How would you do
      this? Any special way?

      Thank you a ton Wilf, it looks like a fun circuit to try!

      -Spencer

      <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

      not a robot scientist
      not a college major
      not a grad student
      not a professor
      not a very organized person
      just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

      I didn't write this!
      | |
      | |
      \/
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
        Hi Spencer,

        1.) The arrow and socket symbols indicate a connector: I want to emphasize
        that the 2V regulator can be a module that is "plugged" into other circuits
        (ie bicore/microcore) and that the powersaver flasher is just one of those
        circuits. This modular (beam blox?) approach that allows you to quickly test
        out various combinations of circuit blocks.

        2.)Yup, I guess I didn't explain it very well but only 1 of 6 typical
        flashers is shown and the other 5 inverters can be used the same way but I
        suggest using different resistor/capacitor values to get random flashing
        patterns.

        You can also use the 2 volt regulator with a 9V battery or 3V Lithium Coin
        to test and adjust the flasher circuits which absolutely need a 2V supply.

        The main reason for using 2V for HC circuits is that their internal power
        requirements drop waaay down compared to using 6V for example. That is why
        the flasher operates for such a long time with the regulator powered from a
        1F cap solar charged to 5V. Of course, adding more LEDs will reduce the
        time, let us know the results!

        enjoy

        wilf

        Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

        Hello HF,

        Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit
        Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values to avoid
        phase locking.

        wilf
      • Daniel Grace
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
          --- Wilf Rigter <Wilf.Rigter@...> wrote:
          > Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use
          > different resistor values
          > to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two
          > frequencies with pots can
          > lead to interesting random or long period patterns.
          >

          > enjoy
          >
          > wilf

          Pardon my ignorance, Wilf, but what is phase locking?
          If it is anything like what it sounds like, it could
          be the problem in a circuit I had almost given up on.

          Thanks,
          ~Daniel

          =====
          ICQ # 39402143

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
            Always a pleasure to answer interesting questions.

            It is a well known fact that R/C oscillators in BEAM are sensitive to
            external noise which can cause "false" triggering. We have discussed how
            that triggering may also be useful for providing feedback from a struggling
            motor. But what if the triggering signal is periodic for example a signal
            from another oscillator. Now the "false" triggering is no longer random but
            regular and if the frequency of the external oscillator is close to the
            triggered oscillator the frequencies of the two oscillators will become
            "locked". This principle of frequency locking is also called synchronizing
            and is used in all kinds of applications including the SYNC signals which
            synchronize the video data of your PC with the monitor you are reading this
            message on 8^). In nature, an example of frequency locking is the
            synchronization of the moon's spin with it's orbit earth and always shows
            the same face towards the earth or similarly the planet Mercury's day which
            has become exactly the same duration as it's year. Oscillator phase locking
            is similar to frequency locking but fixes the relationship between
            transition. It is also possible for locking to occur on multiples of
            frequencies so that one oscillator frequency becomes an exact multiple of
            that of another oscillator.

            So if the pummer flashers are close in frequency or multiple frequencies
            they will eventually synchronize and blink at the same time ( not very
            interesting because it's very predictable) But if frequencies are adjusted
            so that the they are NOT harmonically related, they will still interact but
            in very complex ways which can be truly random (bifurcation) or have (long
            period) repeating patterns which span many cycles (like whale songs). Such
            systems of frequencies are often exquisitely sensitive to external
            parameters like voltage or temperature but if you are lucky and adjusted
            them just right can be robust patterns which are very pleasing to the eye.

            enjoy

            wilf

          • john simmons
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
              Sometimes I get these e-mails with an attached diagram but it either shows
              LEDPUMP2.gif or a torn picture icon. Is it much trouble to send them another
              way or what can I do? I have to use the computers at school. If these are
              Wilfster designs then they are in the Wilf archives aren't they?
              Thanks, JohnS

              >From: "David Perry" <davidperry@...>
              >To: <beam@egroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)
              >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:34:06 +1000
              >
              >Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.
              >
              >David

            • Ben Hitchcock
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                Hi,

                You can go here:
                http://www.egroups.com/group/beam
                to view the group over the web. Attachments are decoded and displayed on
                your screen, so if you find a particularly tasty circuit you can go to
                this page and see what all the fuss is about.

                hth,
                Ben

                http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben