electronic SOSE Project

  • The Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004

      Hello group,

      I am making a porject for my SOSE class; a energy effiecient home. I am going to have fans and lights that actually work, and i am going to run these things on a rechargeable battery pack (3.6v) is there a specific voltage that i am meant to discharge them to before i recharge them, if this is so, how can i go about this?

      Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Upgrade here!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004

          Thanks for the site firstly,

          So in theory, each cell should be discharged to 1v per cell, so could I, as a more crude method, could I just put an LED that needs 3v across the terminals or will the pack dischrage unevenly?

          Tom (Your friendly neighbourhood geek:)
          >From: "Wilf Rigter" <wrigter@...> >Reply-To: beam@yahoogroups.com >To: <beam@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: Re: [beam] electronic SOSE Project >Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:35:24 -0700 > >http://www.yoredale.uklinux.net/electronics/nicads.htm > ----- Original Message ----- > From: The Walker > To: beam@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 12:00 AM > Subject: [beam] electronic SOSE Project > > > Hello group, > > I am making a porject for my SOSE class; a energy effiecient home. I am going to have fans and lights that actually work, and i am going to run these things on a rechargeable battery pack (3.6v) is there a specific voltage that i am meant to discharge them to before i recharge them, if this is so, how can i go about this? > > > >------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Upgrade here! > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > ADVERTISEMENT > > > > > >------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Yahoo! Groups Links > > a.. To visit your group on the web, go to: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beam/ > > b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > beam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. >

          Looking for a housemate? Click here
        • wilf_nv
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "The Walker" <angry_dwarf12@h...> wrote:

            >Thanks for the site firstly,

            >So in theory, each cell should be discharged to 1v per cell, so
            >could I, as a more crude method, could I just put an LED that needs
            >3v across the terminals or will the pack dischrage unevenly?

            I am no expert from what I have read:

            For a used battery pack with unknown history, check each cell voltage
            seperately. If the cell voltages are not equal then discharge each
            cell seperately. You may have to charge and discharge several times
            to equalize capacity.

            Discharge at a rate of 2C maximum until the voltage across each cell
            is 1V. With lower discharge current, the end voltage should be
            lower too since the terminal voltage includes the drop across the
            internal resistance of the battery. When you stop discharging, the
            cell voltage will recover so it is important to measure while the
            discharge current is flowing.

            If this is a new battery pack then you can assume that the cell
            capacities are the same and you can just measure the pack voltage
            rather then individual cells.